What's new

Cafiza coffee pot cleaner

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you are not using this, you're working to hard. @turtle tipped me off on this a while ago and it's FANTASTIC at getting those stubborn coffee oils out of my stainless steel travel mug. You know what I'm talking about - after a few weeks of use the inside of your mug looks bronze from the coffee stains. I pour a little of the powder in to the mug, hit it with a dab of hot water, then use a toothbrush to scrub, followed by a washcloth. Then a wash with dish soap. Turns out better than brand new!!

Way better than simply using dish soap since this actually breaks down and dissolves the coffee oils.

urnex-commercial-cafiza-espresso-machine-cleaning-powder.jpg

Originally for back flushing commercial espresso machines it also does the trick on thermos (glass or stainless) and coffee pots.

I mix it with boiling water and soak for 15 to 30 minutes. No scrubbing. Once mixed, I clean all of my coffee utensils one after the other.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I never tried just soaking it. I'll try that next.
I'm taking some to work tonight to do the coffee pot there. I'll soak and see what happens.

Just a heads up for everyone.

DO NOT use Cafiza to clean inside the boiler of any brewing machine.

Use a product that will remove scale and lime deposits in the boiler. There are commercial descaling products you can purchase or you can use a solution of citric acid and water to clean the brewer's boiler (or tea kettle that is only used to boil water). Urnex (the makers of Cafiza) have other products for this purpose.

Cafiza does not remove scale. It only cleans coffee residue and stains (post brew) from utensils that are used to brew, store and/or serve brewed coffee as well as the OUTSIDE of machines that may have coffee stains on them. Use it to clean your brew basket, glass or thermal carafes and thermos bottles, and to wipe down the outside of your coffee machine (if it has stains). Don't run it through the brew cycle.

As with any cleaning product, rinse anything thoroughly after it comes in contact with Cafiza.

For all commercial products you are not familiar with, download and read the MSDS (material safety data sheet) before using them.

http://urnex.com/wp-content/uploads...l-cafiza-espresso-machine-cleaning-powder.pdf

Cafiza is a commercial/indusrtial cleaning product and requires special handling. It contains phosphates, sulfides, and acids not generally available to the public.

Urnex also markets pre-measured packets of cleaner, descaler, and grinder pellets. They are sold as the Full Circle line. Like others mentioned, the first time I used it I was amazed at how well it cleaned up my Thermos that hadn't been shiny in years! It was as if I had a new Thermos!

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up for everyone.

DO NOT use Cafiza to clean inside the boiler of any brewing machine.

Use a product that will remove scale and lime deposits in the boiler. There are commercial descaling products you can purchase or you can use a solution of citric acid and water to clean the brewer's boiler (or tea kettle that is only used to boil water). Urnex (the makers of Cafiza) have other products for this purpose.

Cafiza does not remove scale. It only cleans coffee residue and stains (post brew) from utensils that are used to brew, store and/or serve brewed coffee as well as the OUTSIDE of machines that may have coffee stains on them. Use it to clean your brew basket, glass or thermal carafes and thermos bottles, and to wipe down the outside of your coffee machine (if it has stains). Don't run it through the brew cycle.

As with any cleaning product, rinse anything thoroughly after it comes in contact with Cafiza.

For all commercial products you are not familiar with, download and read the MSDS (material safety data sheet) before using them.

http://urnex.com/wp-content/uploads...l-cafiza-espresso-machine-cleaning-powder.pdf

Cafiza is a commercial/indusrtial cleaning product and requires special handling. It contains phosphates, sulfides, and acids not generally available to the public.

Good info. I plan to use it only in the steel thermos type things I put hot coffee into to keep it hot. I will definitely handle it with even more care than usual after reading the MSDS tho.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well it was coffee equipment cleaning day here. I'm a decidedly odd duck so I insist on coming up with my own way of doing things.

• Mix up some Urnex in the carafe of my Technivorm making certain it gets all dissolved
  • Pour the solution into the Technivorm water reservoir and run it through the machine
  • Let the hot solution sit in the carafe for a bit
  • Remove the filter basket and place it into the sink with the adjusting switch to the off position
  • Place the portafilters from my espresso maker into the filter basket and poor in some of the still hot Urnex (remove the plastic handles from the carrier and place the metal parts into the dishwasher)
  • Remove the reservoir from the espresso maker and fill it with the rest of the Urnex
  • Mix up some Dezcal in the Technivorm caraf . . . again making sure it is dissolved and poor it into the Technivorm water reservoir and run about half through the machine and turn it off and leave it for about half an hour to work on the heater coils.
  • Use a dish brush to clean inside the reservoir of the Technivorm and the espresso maker
  • Run the rest of the Dezcal through the machine. Run the same Dezcal through the machine a second time.
  • Run a bit of the Dezcal through the espresso maker
  • Rinse everything . . . run about three carafes of clean water through the Technivorm . . . run about half a reservoir of clean water through the espresso maker reassemble the portafilter stuff.
  • Done!

A buddy who is a winemaker tipped me off to oxiclean for stubborn stains. Cheap as chips at the dollar store.

It tears through coffee oils and crud throughout the kitchen... super on anything stainless.
Of course dont pour it into any machine.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Before someone yells at me . . . I'll mention that my espresso machine does not have a boiler it has a thermoblock . . . people should follow the directions for their particular machine.

I hadn't considered Oxiclean. I typically use bleach for my wine bottles as well as my coffee and tea mugs. I've been told though that it harms stainless hence the Urnex.

Been using Cafiza for years to backflush the espresso machine. Truly a miracle cleaner. Stubborn stains in a travel mug or thermos will require an overnight soak.

Another tip...once you finish soaking your travel mug in the Cafiza solution, pour the liquid into a small dish and soak your razors for several hours. You’ll be amazed how easily that nasty soap scum is removed from all the nooks and crannies. Works MUCH better than dishwashing detergent.

Top Bottom