What's new

Caffettiera Napolitana

Thinking about adding one to my coffee routine, but need advice...Alessi looks great , but at 500 bucks count me out..I do want stainless steel for sure, and there are several brands...I understand how to use the caffettiera , but I'm puzzled on how to use the ones that have button tops , how the hell do you flip those over for brewing ?..I like the button models best , especially the Passalacqua models with the button top....
coffee napolitano.JPG
neo.JPG
neo4.jpg
coffee  passalacqua.JPG
neo5.jpg

My parents used a coffee maker like the one below. The only difference was that it had black handles. They did not flip the coffee maker. Rather, they used a tea kettle to heat the water and then filled the container with the water, and then put the cover on it. In fact, most of their friends had a similar coffee maker.
proxy.php

This interested me enough that I now have a small Ilsa stainless Napoletana on order
Where did you order from ?..What brand ?...how much was postage ??...From Italy postage almost doubles the price...Surprisingly all these U.S. vendors of mocha pots never have the Napoletana pots !....Stainless is the way to go....Let us know how the brew comes out Turtle..

I believe the "button top" is a separate lid resting on the bottom of the pot used to heat the water. Perhaps it is shown that way out of convenience as a way to display all the parts together, or as a way to preheat the lid. A lid which can later be put on the pot which will soon hold the brewed coffee, after the top pot which held the heated water and coffee is removed.

I believe the "button top" is a separate lid resting on the bottom of the pot was used to heat the water. Perhaps it is shown that way out of convenience as a way to display all the parts together, or as a way to preheat the lid. A lid which can later be put on the pot which will soon hold the brewed coffee, after the top pot which held the heated water and coffee is removed.
Thank you !...that makes sense...

fusari.jpg
I've found out the Fusari and Passalacqua pots are both stainless steel and both actually manufactured in Italy...Both the aluminum and stainless Ilsa pots are made in the PRC... Searching for info on Fusari VS. Passalacqua reviews , but found none so far....

I am certainly not trying to steer you away from a Neapolitan flip pot but you might also want to consider a Walkure porcelain brewer. I have one which I need to post a review about, but in short I believe it should produce a similar tasting cup, operating more like how @ackvil describes above. Walkure makes two different models the Karlsbad and Bayreuth. I used mine today to make a late afternoon cup of coffee.

Let's see what, if anything shows up.

Supposed to be a small (3 cup) Ilsa brand Napoletana model.

It does not work on my induction plate. It might just be too small to be recognized

It is Italian made and high quality.

proxy.php

Beautiful pot Turtle!...The box says 1 to 2 cups, and those are 2 ounce "cups"....Sorry it won't heat up on the induction plate , any way around that problem ??..Glad to see the INOX ( stainless ) model is made in Italy, the Chinese aluminum is not something I would care for...I have been trying to find reviews of the Italian stainless pots , there are quite a few brands beside ILSA such as Fusari , La Perfetta ,
coffee napoli7.JPG
Passalacqua and Garganello , that still make the original copper/brass cucumella pots.... The older ILSA's used to have a nice red emblem on them...
coffee napoli inox (5).jpg

I went with the smallest size as I need a good single person pot.

The 2 to 3 cups is in reference to espresso/demitasse cups (2 oz) I was hoping for 1 American 6-8 oz sized cup when mixed with milk.

I could not find a source for stainless steel pots so had to order from Europe. I was hoping to be able to use it on the induction plate but the diminutiheve size would not register on the induction plate. I filled it with water and added 18 grams of coffee but when it would not work, just poured out the water, removed the grounds, and re-boxed it

I do not want to put it on my commercial gas range as the burners are way too large. I do have a cast iron plate to cover the gas flame but that makes for a long process and defeats the purpose of a quick cup.

I guess I'll take it down to FL where I have electric stoves and see how I like it.

Yes ...your pot is 4 oz. max , perfect for single or double espresso size cups..I found the same as you did , there are no American vendors....The ILSA you bought really looks great....Let us know how the Florida coffee brews up !

Top Bottom