What's new

Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions ~ September/October 2009

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I just ordered something from Puerh Shop (gotta spread the wealth), so it should be here in about 10 minutes or so. :tongue_sm

After years of drinking various trader joe's coffees I was inspired to try something new after lurking here for a few days. There is a local independent coffee roaster 5 minutes from my house, so I just picked some up and had a cup...WOW adios trader joe's coffee hello fresh roasted awesomeness.

proxy.php

Bad influence, the lot of you...:tongue_sm
An order with several Puerh samples is on the way so I thought I'd get a Gaiwan. I couldn't find one at the local organic supermarket and instead found this Yixing teapot so I broke it in with several hot water washes.

Thank you I just had my first session I have to say it went very well. I used 07 Menghai "7262" ripe pu-erh. It was smooth with suble blends of woods, slight bark like flavors, with a ginger type of spice to it. Not pictured is a scale that was not packaged on accident. Its all good because I was going to order a table and some oolongs. :biggrin:

Can you tell me if this is the appropriate amount of tea for my gawain (125ml)? I guess it to be 7-10 grams? your insight is appreciated, oh also how many infusions should I be able to get? I noticed a loss of flavors at about 11. Sorry I know this really doesnt belong here.

Can you tell me if this is the appropriate amount of tea for my gawain (125ml)? I guess it to be 7-10 grams?
Mmmm, it's a little like the carny trying to guess people's weight, but I would guess that is more like 3 grams of tea. The only thing that counts, however, is what tastes good, so by all means mix it up. You might find that some teas taste best with lots of leaf and very short brew times and others are best with little leaf and long brew times.

Looks like way too little tea to me. My gaiwans are typically 50% full of leaves (or more) once things have opened up.

thank you guys I asked Steve and said if looks to be about 5-7 grams and that it looks about the right ballpark for ripe pu-erh which doest not necessarily unfurl like a green pu-erh does when infused. Still I think I could have added more.

I have that same gaiwan and it always looks more empty than my others due to it's width at the base. That said, use more leaves. Looks like you have under 5g.

Here's my no scale trick...

Steve sends between 25 and 30 grams per bag. Use up to a third of the bag. Since that is shu, I'd say just under a third... maybe as little as a quarter of a bag.

Some pics of that same gaiwan with:

6g shu
proxy.php

9g shu
proxy.php

That's the very tasty Hong Yun that Steve has for sale.

Last edited:

ouch

I know, I know- this post is useless without pics, but it's a pretty small acquisition.

2005 Xiaguan Jia Ji tuo
2009 " ancient wild tree tuo 250g
3X 2007 ODB Baoyan brick

I know, I know- this post is useless without pics, but it's a pretty small acquisition.

2005 Xiaguan Jia Ji tuo
2009 " ancient wild tree tuo 250g
3X 2007 ODB Baoyan brick

I've been thinking about stocking up on the '07 ODBs while they are still cheap - good call. Let me know how that tuo is - I had it in my cart the last time I ordered from Jim and removed it.

proxy.php

The selection of tea to chose from was daunting but they let us sample anything. I did not end up buying any pu erh, just a couple of greens and yellows. Is there a difference between loose leaf and brick pu erh? I plan on picking some up next time.

Got 1 Kg each of the following green beans:

Guatemala
Nicaragua Las Sabanas
Kenya AA
Sumatra Mendheling

Going to be roasted in my Behmor and most to be brewed as Espresso through my Gaggia Classic, with some in the French Press or the yama Vac Pot.

ouch

I've been thinking about stocking up on the '07 ODBs while they are still cheap - good call. Let me know how that tuo is - I had it in my cart the last time I ordered from Jim and removed it.

You know you'll get more than a review of that (as soon as I get around to opening it, which may take some time). I think you need to try the '09 7542 (901) as well, if I recall.

And yet another order is en route from DJ Jazzy Tea and the Fresh Prince of Pu'er himself, Steve.:tongue_sm

Top Bottom