What's new

Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions- December, 2008

Got one of these:
attachment.php

I have to pick up some beans today, but its supposed to be a good (if small) first roaster.

I suspect its going to be my gateway roaster...

Nice Chris, pass it this way when you move up!

Whats the first roast?

Just got some green beans from Greenbeanery, a local Toronto shop.

I got some Ethiopian Djimmah, Mexican Oaxaca and Indian Monsoon Malabar.

Here's a pic along with my first ever roast (using the FreshRoast pictured above) using the Indian Monsoon. I ignored the instructions, preferring instead to follow the excellent tips found on SweetMarias.

I got a nice city roast - I had to increase the roasting time slightly mid-roast so need to tweak my technique and will possibly pre-heat to get a darker roast. I also bumped up the quantity of beans by about 25% as the monsoon coffee is quite a bit lighter than other coffees (I actually compared by weighing equal volumes on a kitchen scale). I cracked a couple of beans and the roast is nice and even through-and-through.

While pretty much idiot-proof, it will take some experimentation to get the best from this very basic roaster.

Anyone with this machine really needs to see the tips on SweetMarias - some great advice that is much more useful than the minimal instructions.

So, I'll let this rest overnight and give it a go tomorrow, but looks promising.

Here's a commemorative (if crappy)pic:

View attachment 36898

A few goodies from puerhshop on this snowy New Year's Eve:

2007 Jingmai Mountain Spring Pu-erh Tea Cake
Another FT 'shroom to stash away before B&B buys them all :wink:
A pu'er pick after I stabbed myself in the hand with the metal skewer I usually use.... :mad:

A few goodies from puerhshop on this snowy New Year's Eve:

2007 Jingmai Mountain Spring Pu-erh Tea Cake
Another FT 'shroom to stash away before B&B buys them all :wink:
A pu'er pick after I stabbed myself in the hand with the metal skewer I usually use.... :mad:

Nice - like that pick's not going through your hand at some point in the not-too-distant future (not wishing you harm, just the law of probabilities is against you).

I see you got the "Joel" model pick.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've been occupied with my roaster for the past few days and have fallen off the pu'erh wagon, but these posts have definitely inspired me to get back on it!

Top Bottom