Caffeine Clips: Show off your tea/coffee acquisitions ~2010

Decided to sample the rest of world

Tiger Hill FOP (CL) #331 -- single estate Nilgiri
English high-grown leaf blend #801

Kenya Tinderet TGFOP1 (Sp) #355 -- single estate Kenya
East Friesian broken blend #807

Mangalam FTGFOP1 (CL/SP) #264 -- single estate Assam
Sungma SFTGFOP1 1st flush organic #114 -- single estate Darjeeling
Fine Irish breakfast blend #803 (freebie)
proxy.php

I just pulled the trigger on an Expobar Brewtus III-V(vibe pump) with the option of being plumbed and directly drained........I originally thought after I got off the phone with WLL, that I had gotten the Rotary model but apparently the rotary model does not have a reservoir which I want so that if I have to resell the unit, I will be able to appeal to both markets(plumbed or not).......thus raising my resale value.....The unit has a simple switch that allows you to go from reservoir to plumbed instantly.......but I still have remorse as I want the rotary more.....but it does not have a reservoir...............What should I do........The only negative thing I have heard about Rotary pumps is that if the pressure isn't set properly, they will destroy the puck with how fast they start......as oppossed to a vibe pump that takes like 3-7 seconds to get started.........But the benefits seem pretty nice.......longer lasting, quieter, quicker recovery time(not that it matters, just me and my girl and maybe some company). Opinions needed my friends.............please help as I am calling WLL tomorrow and making the final call........ Price difference may be around 100 to 150 more expensive and most likely no reservoir as I not think they could add one for me due to the lack of room(rotary pump is like double the size or more and needs an electrical motor with it too).............

Seems to me that with such an expensive and--you'll excuse the characterization--frivolous purchase you ought to get exactly what makes you happy and not worry about the resale value. Otherwise you're way more likely to have regrets and be tempted to take advantage of the resale value.

I just started drinking coffee, as I decided it's a much better place to get caffeine than soft drinks. One in the morning sets me up for pretty much the whole day (but it's a good-sized one, probably a double mug).

I set myself up with: a 1-3 cup Chemex brewer, a box of filters, and the Cafe du Monde chicory blend. I can see this moving up to an office piece after I finish school (soon, hopefully) and getting a larger Chemex, since SWMBO has taken to asking me make her some, as well.

Seems to me that with such an expensive and--you'll excuse the characterization--frivolous purchase you ought to get exactly what makes you happy and not worry about the resale value. Otherwise you're way more likely to have regrets and be tempted to take advantage of the resale value.

good point.....I guess when it comes to rotary or vibe, I truly don't know if it is gonna matter to me too much which I get as long as I don't have problems................What I hoped to get was all of the features that the Brewtus currently has......but with a rotary pump and a reservoir and the ability to be plumbed in........the only model I Know that does that is the Alex Duetto II by Izzo..........and its 2300 which is much much more.............Thx for your fast reply.....

Last edited:
good point.....I guess when it comes to rotary or vibe, I truly don't know if it is gonna matter to me too much which I get as long as I don't have problems................What I hoped to get was all of the features that the Brewtus currently has......but with a rotary pump and a reservoir and the ability to be plumbed in........the only model I Know that does that is the Alex Duetto II by Izzo..........and its 2300 which is much much more.............Thx for your fast reply.....

I honestly think that for home use, plumbed vs. tank is a bigger debate than rotary vs. vibe.

Vibe pumps aren't all that bad, really. The pressure regulator, on the other hand, is a much bigger deal. Rotary is quieter and has a longer life, but I've seen vibe pumps last for decades, so it's really a moot point for domestic espresso.

I think you got a killer machine. Excellent choice. :thumbup1:

I honestly think that for home use, plumbed vs. tank is a bigger debate than rotary vs. vibe.

Vibe pumps aren't all that bad, really. The pressure regulator, on the other hand, is a much bigger deal. Rotary is quieter and has a longer life, but I've seen vibe pumps last for decades, so it's really a moot point for domestic espresso.

I think you got a killer machine. Excellent choice. :thumbup1:

Thx, I appreciate that. I actually cancelled the order and am now purchasing an Alex Duetto II lol........It was what I wanted to start with anyhow and the price difference towards the end wasn't as much as I thought it would be....

Yunnan Sourcing order arrived today:

2008 Wild Tree Raw Pu-erh tea brick of Dehong

2010 Yunnan Sourcing "Gua Feng Zhai" Raw Pu-erh tea of Yi Wu

2006 Haiwan Peacock Quest Ripe Pu-erh tea brick 250g

proxy.php

So I decided to jump on the Pu-erh train and give it a whirl.

So here's my yixing and a cake of some 2005 Ripened Pu-erh. The Yixing's lid is ever so slightly loose, so I am wondering about its quality, but nevertheless, it still holds leaves and hot water :thumbup1:

I stopped by a local tea house earlier tonight & picked up this beeng... A little spendy (not unreasonable), but I wanted to support their business since I don't have many options to buy and sample puerh from a brick & mortar store. Its a nice shop & I can see myself spending quite a bit of time there in the future.

New cups are a recent Etsy purchase... quickly becoming favorites.

proxy.php

proxy.php

First order from Postcard Teas arrived less than 24hrs after ordering, yay.

Master Luo's Long Jing
Master Xu's Rou Gui
Aoki Green
Amber Nannou Oolong
Yunnan Red Cloud

I do appreciate they way they appear to know the exact source, and people who produce, of all their teas.

Nannou oolong first, the cheapest, not best to be honest but still have high hopes for the master grade stuff and have heard great things about the Aoki green.

I never thought my coffee hobby/addiction was going to go quite this far, but with a 'little' nudge from a good friend I'm sitting here buzzing (10:45pm on a sunday night!) after drinking my first 5 home brewed espresso shots... The two doubles were delicious & the single was more than passable with a splash of milk!

proxy.php

My new (to me) Francis!Francis! X5... I'm certainly overwhelmed by the generous gift & looking forward to learning more about making espresso. If I ever make it to bed tonight, I'm also looking forward to more coffee in the morning!

IKEA does it again.

I just bought one of these
proxy.php

Brews 1L with room to spare. vacuum insulated SS french press. $30.00
Compare to the Bodum Columbia (which I also love) for more than twice that amount.

and a few of these.
proxy.php

For cupping. Moving away from ceramic.

Top Bottom