What's new

Cafe Tidbits - News and stories from around the web

Starting a new thread for 2013 and maybe beyond. Sometimes I see stuff on the Internet that I think other members might find interesting, funny, educational, .... and may want post it here without starting a separate thread. Please post your discoveries and thoughts here as well. Or create a separate thread as you wish or see fit. It's all meant to be fun and entertaining.

Recently ran across the I Love Coffee.jp blog by Ryoko Iwata. She has collected a number of short, informative, and entertaining posts from around the web. Most of the entrees are worth checking out (but no fact checking attempted by me). I recommend visiting the website and decide what to read for yourself.

But especially note worthy are these:

1) Coffee spa in Japan:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

2) Face-off: Coffee vs. Tea:
proxy.php

3) I also prefer this vending machine:
proxy.php

Last edited:
I am neither long nor short Starbucks, but saw some news reports on their most recent quarter. A few stats that caught my eye:

• Have sold 150,000 Verismo pod machines since it launched last fall. And they plan to aggressively compete against Green Mountain and their pod business. They view this a multi-billion dollar business. (So maybe there will be some future price war with k-cups??)
  • 1 out 10 adults (in the US) got a Starbucks gift card over the Christmas holiday season. :blink:
  • Starbucks has about 18,000 cafes around the world. I was curious thow that stacked up against McDonalds and according to wikipedia McDonalds has 34,000+ locations and Subway tops them both with 38,000+. (That's a lot of coffee and sandwiches)

Too Much Tea Causes Unusual Bone Disease :em19:
A 47-year-old Michigan woman developed a bone disease rarely seen in the U.S. after she drank a pitcher of tea made from at least 100 tea bags daily, for 17 years, researchers report.....
The researchers suspected the woman had skeletal fluorosis, a bone disease caused by consuming too much fluoride (a mineral found in tea as well as drinking water).

Last edited:
I was just reading an article about how Portland will be voting on adding fluoride to the drinking water (I will vote YES on this) and in the comments section, one of the anti-fluoride folks linked this article. Too bad that they didn't read it first.

-jim

I was just reading an article about how Portland will be voting on adding fluoride to the drinking water (I will vote YES on this) and in the comments section, one of the anti-fluoride folks linked this article. Too bad that they didn't read it first.

-jim

You should be aware that the fluoride added to the water supply is vastly different from the fluoride found in tea. It is literally re-purposed industrial waste. I don't recommend it, and if I were in Portland, I would definitely vote NO. Even if you LIKE sodium fluoride in your drinking water, it is not right to enforce forced medication on those who do not want it. You are, however, free to add fluoride to your own water anytime you like. It is all but impossible to remove once there.

You should be aware that the fluoride added to the water supply is vastly different from the fluoride found in tea. It is literally re-purposed industrial waste. I don't recommend it, and if I were in Portland, I would definitely vote NO. Even if you LIKE sodium fluoride in your drinking water, it is not right to enforce forced medication on those who do not want it. You are, however, free to add fluoride to your own water anytime you like. It is all but impossible to remove once there.

Would you be willing to elaborate on your dislike a bit more? I mean, penicillin is repurposed bread mold but most people agree it's a wonderful thing when used correctly.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well sure fluoride is produced as a byproduct of various industrial processes. Some anti fluoride activists have invoked the negatively perceived term "industrial waste" to invoke an emotional response. This is much like marketers whose plastic becomes a polymer product identical to that being used on the space shuttle.

I'll leave the fluoridation of water issue to the voting public. Please leave politics and political discussion out of this forum.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I like how plastic, polymer and composite are interchangeable now days based on how much the thing costs.

Top Bottom