What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

$1-IMG_2088.jpg
I picked this up Sunbeam yesterday, works beautifully. It is a fully electric syphon coffee maker for those that don't know. Patented 1939

After waiting for a few months on back order, a Lido 2 arrived earlier today. My initial impression of this grinder is quite good. It has nice ergonomics and grind output. After doing a quick test grind, the inaugural brew was a flat bottom pour over which turned out well.

I will post more pictures and thoughts after using it a little while.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The old digital kettle met its maker, so...

Picked up a 1L Pino manual pourover thingie. The myriad of reported issues vanish if you just throw away the lid. It's still kind of small, and the handle can get hot if I heat it too fast, but that's all the down side I can think of. The pour is slow & accurate--perfect for a pourover coffee.

With the lid on, it's a little pot boiler. On the stove, it's a percolator that sputters out water every 5 seconds. Makes a significant puddle by the time it boils. Pour, and the lid lands in your grounds. Fortunately, the lid will recycle nicely into a more useful member of society.

I might pair this with one of those cheap 50 oz glass kettles that whistles when it wants to. Those hold enough water to preheat & rinse everything, and still fill the Pino pourover piece.

edit...

Even with the lid off, once the Pino gets to a rolling boil, it tries to spit water out its spout. Nothing came out this morning, but I didn't leave it boiling for long. Yesterday, with the lid on, my stovetop was soaked well before the water boiled.

Last edited:
After waiting for a few months on back order, a Lido 2 arrived earlier today. My initial impression of this grinder is quite good. It has nice ergonomics and grind output. After doing a quick test grind, the inaugural brew was a flat bottom pour over which turned out well.

I will post more pictures and thoughts after using it a little while.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mine came about 2 weeks ago. Love it. Better coffee immediately.

Will you you be using for Espresso?

Mine came about 2 weeks ago. Love it. Better coffee immediately.

Will you you be using for Espresso?

Yes, I have been using my Lido2 for espresso (specially with the Presso, I have not tried the La Pavoni yet). The adjustment mechanism has made it easy to play around, varying the dosage sizes and getting good shots. I have also made french press, aeropress, and pour-over with good results. My intention when purchasing was to mainly use it for everything except espresso, but it clearly works well for that too.

How about you? Did you purchase with espresso in mind?

Yes, I have been using my Lido2 for espresso (specially with the Presso, I have not tried the La Pavoni yet). The adjustment mechanism has made it easy to play around, varying the dosage sizes and getting good shots. I have also made french press, aeropress, and pour-over with good results. My intention when purchasing was to mainly use it for everything except espresso, but it clearly works well for that too.

How about you? Did you purchase with espresso in mind?

i don't make espresso...yet. Starting to get curious though and the machines I've been looking at are the Pavonis. That big a purchase, however, is a ways off. How long have you had yours and how do you handle the overheating of the group after the first shot?

i don't make espresso...yet. Starting to get curious though and the machines I've been looking at are the Pavonis. That big a purchase, however, is a ways off. How long have you had yours and how do you handle the overheating of the group after the first shot?
I've had it for a number of years, but mainly use it in the winter time. I don't really deal with the heating other than waiting after a shot for the temperature to stabilize.

This past week I picked up the following:

1lb of Philz Coffee - Tesora whole bean
2lb of LavAZZA CREMAe GUSTO
300 Kalita Wave 185 Filters
2 Luigi Bormioli 14oz Thermal Walled Mugs

Passed a teavana in the mall today and picked up a 22oz ceramic coated (yes, inside & out) cast iron teapot. Went in to find a single brew strainer cup and bought 2 of their "Curve Infuser Tea Mugs", ceramic with a stainless insert, in black & purple at 1/2 price--$10 each. While there, I also bought some tea & stuff: English Breakfast, Black Dragon pearls, and some rock sugar.

$cast-iron-teapot.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
After a recent crisis where I ran out of filters I revisited coffee made in a French press.

This is the picture from the manufacturer, Frieling. Mine is a 17oz. I've used it a couple of times in the last week. Quite an improvement over the equipment used the last time I experienced French Press coffee.

$french press.png

I've heard really good things about Frieling FPs.

After telling my brother how my wife broke three Bodum French presses and caused me to give up on French press coffee many years ago, he bought me a Frieling. I had no idea at the time just how good they are, but it's an order of magnitude better than a bodum. It insulates the coffee well enough that it can be used as a carafe in a pinch and the screens are much finer than a bodum screen. Love my Frieling. Very high quality manufacture all around.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Picked up a demonstrator Asceo Dream UP Version 2.

Had a nice shot and then a cappuccino made with Half and Half as it was the only milk like product I had on hand.

$espresso machine.jpg

Attachments

• $espresso machine.jpg
    $espresso machine.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 118
Is that gridner using half an Aeropress for a hopper??? :blink:

That is so much wrong!!!! Sacrilege!!

:lol:

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Once again, I accidently posted a Café acquisition in the Mess Hall. I picked up a Hamilton Beach programmable 1.7 liter kettle. It has 5 presets for the various types of tea (with the info silk screened on the kettle) plus allows adjustments in 5 degree steps. I will be keeping this in my locker at work, since that is where my tea drinking takes place.

$K6.jpg Picked up this Compak K6 WBC via auction for $130NZ and I plan on changing it to doserless with a custom made funnel. Also got a look at the stainless hopper that a local apprentice is making for the Macap MX its going to be shiney thats for sure.

Top Bottom