What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

Twin Engine Cigar No. 1
Twin Engine Estate Blend Medium in their traveler size.
Kicking Horse Three Sisters Medium.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Reactions: Avi
after years of hand grinding with my hario skerton, I broke down and bought a Baratza Vario. This lead to an Intention to delve into espresso so a Rancilio Silvia is on my hunting list. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
35432159-EF3E-4EA6-BBD3-F65BEF930132.jpeg D5962834-F15C-4284-8DB9-DDFD20074AD4.jpeg 10488F1A-1376-4B8B-B881-03C0DFA4E7FA.jpeg C19BA838-CE42-4523-979F-FE02FC83CB22.jpeg B420C729-9B47-4057-822A-688E46DB459B.jpeg AE3E3518-217E-4ECD-B8B4-1ADE945A0246.jpeg F554352B-F52E-4F23-BC58-0CD75DB74763.jpeg
Picked up the following items during the week. A Melitta 1x4 pour over coffee maker with Melitta carafe and a hand crank coffee grinder. The Melitta carafe and pour over came from a second hand shop in Wagga Wagga and the grinder came from the Salvation Army Opportunity Shop here in town. The grinder was half price for $1.00 so I couldn’t refuse. I paid $15.00 for the Melitta with the carafe. Someone has used a Kambrook filter as the coffee filter. It fits and is the same colour. The filter had Kambrook CMF1 on the side. I’m assuming it means Kambrook Coffee Machine Filter 1. I haven’t had the chance to try it out yet. Later today maybe.

Been a while since I've acquired more coffee paraphernalia. SWMBO has been after me to "thin the herd". She even put one of my commercial Bunn brewers on craigslist a few days ago.

Well it's my turn.

Ran across this today. It now has a new home, replacing the Bonavita (which replaced the Bunn).

Isn't coffee fun o_O

20200517_130811.jpg

Been a while since I've acquired more coffee paraphernalia. SWMBO has been after me to "thin the herd". She even put one of my commercial Bunn brewers on craigslist a few days ago.

Well it's my turn.

Ran across this today. It now has a new home, replacing the Bonavita (which replaced the Bunn).

Isn't coffee fun o_O

View attachment 1101326
How is this working out for you? I used to have a Bunn but it bit the dust a few years ago. I haven't had a coffee maker since then, but the Moccamaster does look tempting. I am the only coffee drinker in the house, so the Aeropress works out nicely for me.

How is this working out for you? I used to have a Bunn but it bit the dust a few years ago. I haven't had a coffee maker since then, but the Moccamaster does look tempting. I am the only coffee drinker in the house, so the Aeropress works out nicely for me.

Small Bunn (home) use the same filters as the Bonavita (flat bottom 10 cup). Moccamaster uses a Maletta #4.

You can make less than a full pot with a cone (Chemex) or modified cone (Maletta) so if you are looking for an auto drip to make less than the max design volume without changing flavor, get something that uses a cone.

The Moccamaster makes a perfect tasting cup full or partial. It is fiddly to use. Too many separate parts to remove and replace after adding water and coffee.

I feel it is worth the fiddling as it does such a fine job.

I have 2 of them now and I know SWMBO is going to want to sell my other CW-15 commercial Bunn when we get back to the other house.

Comparing the Moccamaster to the commercial Bunn last year I thought the Bunn has a slight edge when brewing a full 16 cup pot. The MM is 10 cup so more "realistic" for home use.

SWMBO talked me into selling my Bunn airpot brewer a few years. It made 2 liters of coffee at a time. VERY unrealistic for home use.

Bunn commercial CW-15

proxy.php

Bunn airpot brewer

proxy.php

Home (10 cup) Bunn

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
OK weird for the acquisition thread but it does make a difference in making coffee.

Mick, I've been considering a whole house water filter. I do use a three stage water filter in the kitchen but I know there are benefits to having filtered water (softened?) in other ways too . . . (Yeah my dad sold Culligan for a while and when I was a teen I helped him get his patter down right) Here is the big question for me. Does a whole house water filter cut down water pressure significantly?

OK weird for the acquisition thread but it does make a difference in making coffee.

Mick, I've been considering a whole house water filter. I do use a three stage water filter in the kitchen but I know there are benefits to having filtered water (softened?) in other ways too . . . (Yeah my dad sold Culligan for a while and when I was a teen I helped him get his patter down right) Here is the big question for me. Does a whole house water filter cut down water pressure significantly?

it shouldn't. I use a whole house filter at the main inlet but it is just a debris (5 micron) wound filter.

A whole house "softener" will extend the life of your water appliances (fridge ice maker, dishwasher, washing machine, etc).

It all depends on your water quality.

Wouldn't it be great if the MochaMaster would come with a Yeti thermos pot? I have the one with the thermal pot but man the Yeti cups are amazingly good.

They do come in 2 thermal sizes. Even a single cup version.

I find that the Japanese Zojirushi thermal carafes are very nice at maintaining temp longer than the ones that come with the brewers.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yep I'm with you on that. I have a Zojirushi for when I'm making coffee for many people. I make . . . well up to number six on the side for my wife and I. Mine travels with me in either a Yeti or a Bubba cup. If they could license the Yeti Technology it would be so much better than the thermal carafes Technivorm presently supplies.

we went whole house last year as we have well water that was basically going to a bladder. ( My joke was we were basically drinking water from rocks in the ground, which was almost literally true ). We put in both a whole house softener and carbon filter and it does not affect the water pressure and definitely makes tea / coffee taste much better ( and much easier to clean kettles ).
regards
avi

I got a Zojirushi 20oz a few years ago, and I still use it every time I go to the office. I put coffee in it at 6 in the morning, and it is still warm in the late afternoon. At home, I use the Yeti 14 oz rambler, which does a decent job of keeping the coffee warm. Certainly much better than a ceramic mug.

That's pretty cool. Would it be accurate to say that this operates in a similar way as a Bialetti Moka Pot? If they are different, can you explain how? More importantly, how's the coffee?
Similar to my Bialetti induction pots. Everyone should know to never use the handle when screwing on the boiler, but especially this pot. The boiler and the top chamber is solid like a tank, but the lid and handle not so much. I bought this for function as well as cosmetic, but it does make a very good cup, similar to my Bialetti’s. The inside of the boiler has that look like it will oxidize quickly, but the top chamber looks polished enough to fight it off for a bit longer.

Top Bottom