What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

I would be curious if you find any static cling with that aluminum funnel on your Super Jolly this winter. I would not expect much if any, but do wonder if a good thumping on the side will reveal that some amount of coffee was clinging to that 45 degree sidewall.

I couldn't stand it any longer so I found an old USPS express envelop and cut a bit out of it, stuck it over the open motor and held it in place with a toothpick so that I could use the grinder today (necessity breeds invention I always say) :001_smile

I can say that I am going to really like this mod once I get all the parts and finish it up.

Made 6 double americanos this morning (3 for the wife and 3 for me) and hardly any spillage from the modified doser. I find that if I tap the funnel lightly before removing the portafilter anything that "might" fall out of the throat/chute on its own later just drops down and into the porafilter (a few grains is all)

The Super Jolly with the cardboard and toothpick cover

proxy.php

This is all that sticks to the stainless funnel inside. Not enough to even see and defiantly not enough to worry about. I took out the antistatic screen when I got the SJ as I wanted to see if it needed it. Found out that it didn't but if it should start to stick or clump I can always put the a-stat back in.

proxy.php

Nice motor housing patch you got there.
And not much static cling. I might expect a few more particles in dry months of winter, but looks like the chute should stay clean.

I'm waiting for an Ascaso Dream espresso machine, and a Baratza Vario grinder. I think the grinder ought to serve me well, and although I got a good deal on the espresso maker I'm wondering if I got the best bang for my buck...we'll see.

This one came in today.

Bodum Kona pour over.

Looks like a piece of lab equipment or as the wife says "looks like a bomb"

I'll see how it makes coffee tomorrow.

proxy.php

I'm posting a new picture of my home "coffee bar". I posted a similar picture a few weeks ago, but there are two changes since then - one a very big change. First off I now have a set of four "Live Happ Illy" expresso cups. You can see the cups on top of the expresso machine and the saucers on the shelf below. These are not only attractive cups with an uplifting message, they are nice and thick and hold heat well when pre-heated before pulling a shot. Much more important though is that my old Rancillio Rocky grinder is now out of the picture, and about to appear on ebay, and has been replaced with a doserless (if you don't count the electronic timer) Mazzer Mini Type A. I love this new grinder and do consider it to be a significant upgrade from the Rocky. I think this is the ultimate setup for me. Barring something breaking down I have no plans, or even any desire, to upgrade anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent setup! How sturdy is that table?

Very. It's a stainless steel restaurant table that I took to a shop and had powder coated, then bought a piece of heavy black glass to protect the top and make it easy to clean. Probably going to order a matching piece of glass for the long black table so it will match the stand and to make it easy to clean up the grounds that occasionally make their way out of the grinder, even though I use that funnel you can see to the far left in the picture.

After reading about the nationwide clearout of Bodum from JCPenney stores, I decided to go see for myself.
$CAM00610.jpg

I also picked up some fun little kitchen things my wife will like in her stocking for Christmas.

Spent $40, saved $104!

Awesome, My Dad and his Girlfriend gave me a japanese cast iron tea pot for my birthday (My Bday isnt till Dec 20th but my dad winters in Florida and leaves tomorrow), I would show you a pic,... but well,... I just left it at a friends house so the pic will have to wait,... and while we are on that note, it would go great with the little black one I have, but I have no idea where that one went, usually they are with my Yixing or other tea odds and ends. Im not a happy boy at the moment

I recently picked up a Mazzer Major and Grindmaster bulk grinder off the local Craig's list - nice grinders...

Major and a grindmaster? You musts live in a warehouse with small sleeping quarters attached :001_smile

I'd love to have either (or both) but I don't have that kind of room here so am stuck with "hobbit" sized grinders

Just want to provide an update on my new grinder which I showed in the picture a few posts ago. I love it!!!! Ive got the electronic doser set up for a perfect double and single. I was originally a little worried about how consistent it was going to be, but I've measured often on a digital scale and it doesn't vary by more than half a gram, and usually less than that. And the grind consistency is incredible now that I have it dialed it. I'm getting incredible, almost-syrupy, tasty expresso from almost any blend I've tried.

Top Bottom