What's new

Café Acquisition Thread

Never figured I’d buy a hand grinder, especially such a fancy one. Well, lack of current counter space for an electric burr grinder will do that I suppose (the wife and I could debate counter space priority lol). Maiden voyage made a nice brew using the french press and very easy to use. I’ll have to experiment with it. Wanted something that can make a fine espresso grind but is a little more multi- purpose since I usually make drip or french press with the occasional moka pot. This brand had pretty good reviews. It is a 1zpresso K-Max

View attachment 1400647View attachment 1400648
What setting did you use for french press? I have the JX model.

That sounds like an awesome setup!! It would be sweet to get a La Marzocco someday!! Thinking about a Gaggia Classic Pro to start my “real” espresso journey. Can’t figure out the grinder though. I’d like to keep it under a thousand to start. I had a cheap grocery store appliance that made motor oil out of espresso, that rarely got used as it was so bad, and is no longer in use.
I have not used this first hand but my brother has a Niche Zero (actually two). He is using one as his second grinder for when he does single dosing or decaf. The second one is the primary grinder at his second home. He likes the grind but says it is slow but his other grinder at his house is a Compak K10 and it only takes about 2-3 seconds to grind. The Niche is closer to 15 :cuppa:

I saw the Niche when I was over at my brother's house during the Christmas holiday. I did watch the grinder in action and had an espresso while there that was excellent but coffee at his house normally is.

I have not used this first hand but my brother has a Niche Zero (actually two). He is using one as his second grinder for when he does single dosing or decaf. The second one is the primary grinder at his second home. He likes the grind but says it is slow but his other grinder at his house is a Compak K10 and it only takes about 2-3 seconds to grind. The Niche is closer to 15 :cuppa:

I saw the Niche when I was over at my brother's house during the Christmas holiday. I did watch the grinder in action and had an espresso while there that was excellent but coffee at his house normally is.
Sweet! I appreciate the insight! I’ve seen/read a lot of really good reviews on that grinder!

I stuck with the maker’s recommendations. Been using 9 for french press and tried it at 6 for the moka pot the other day. Quite pleased with the results so far
Very nice! Thanks for reminding me about the manufacturer's recommended settings. I know the website has a jpg for the JX grinder grind settings and for french press for the JX, they recommend 28-34. I didn't realize the grind settings would be so different between our grinders but it looks like they are. Enjoy!

I think S&W Roasting's free 40g samples that they send with your order are generous. I use 80g for a pitcher of cold brew so I mix them with the last beans form the previous bag. I liked the last bag I got from them so I figured I give one of their other coffees a go this time.

IMG_20220214_152833.jpg

IMG_20220214_152828.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for reminding me about the manufacturer's recommended settings. I know the website has a jpg for the JX grinder grind settings and for french press for the JX, they recommend 28-34. I didn't realize the grind settings would be so different between our grinders but it looks like they are. Enjoy!

Happy to help! Yes, the J and K series are a bit different. Truthfully I’ve found the differences between all their grinders rather confusing. I saw good reviews for the brand overall but good reviews about the burrs in the K grinders convinced me. Some also said they take less effort to use than the J. YMMV I’d assume. I like the large external adjustment ring and the 1-10 setting versus full rotations and having to remember what position it’s at. It’s just easy

Trying a new-to-me tea supplier, Murchie's in Vancouver, based on some good opinions I heard about their teas. 227g of Earl Grey, 113g of Ice Wine, 113g of Raspberry black tea, and 113gr of Earl's Gold. Should tell me everything I need to know about their tea, hehe.

Whitebird KC215B Pro coffee scale arrived. It has an similar aesthetic to the Timemore Black Mirror, though not as attractive when powered off IMO. Though it is slightly smaller and promises to work well for both espresso and pour-over.

I used it for the first time today using its coffee-to-water Ratio Mode. Attached a photo of it in action (I could not properly focus on the display while also pouring from the kettle). In this mode it automatically tares when the kettle and dripper are set on the scale, then after coffee is added the Tare button is pressed to remember/freeze the readout of coffee weight. The timer automatically starts after the initial pour starts and the coffee-to-water ratio display is updated throughout. In the photo the top line is the typical readout of elapsed brewing time and total weight. The second line is the unique addition, showing the ratio and the original amount of coffee. I have not tried to measure its accuracy, responsiveness, etc, but so far I like it.

KC215B Pro Coffee Scale 20220319.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
3lbs of green Jamaican Blue Mountain headed my way. Not cheap, but I’m going to roast some as a surprise gift for my dad. The rest will be saved for family gatherings etc.

Picked up a glass Clever Dripper. Combines a French Press with a pour over style filter. This replaces a $4 Melita pour over that I’ve been using for years.
E8EB69CB-C8BA-4C49-AB50-722CBB2C384A.jpeg

Based on the sampling I bought for my last order, I've now ordered a fresh half kilo of Earl Grey tea from Murchies. Far better tea than anything else I've tried since starting my search near a decade ago, heh.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1459020
This makes for a tasty cold brew.
I had cold brew yesterday.

By account.... I've been drinking coffee in a new cup, and sometimes water in the same cup.

I KNEW that it had water in it. So I had just swallowed a bite of my lunch and chased it down with a nice gulp.

But it was my morning coffee gone cold! THAT was disgusting, lol.

I've never been able to enjoy iced coffee, I think because I drink my coffee black. And yes, hot or cold unsweetened.

All the while I'm drinking cold coffee I'm thinking that I could have had a Pepsi doggone!

Coffee brewed with cold water for a day or two is a lot less bitter than coffee that was brewed with hot water and chilled or iced. I make my coffee in the refrigerator for 48 hours or more. Cold brew.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Coffee brewed with cold water for a day or two is a lot less bitter than coffee that was brewed with hot water and chilled or iced. I make my coffee in the refrigerator for 48 hours or more. Cold brew.
Ahhhh! That makes sense.

Probably why I prefer iced "Sun Tea"...... I use like 3 regular tea bags and set a gallon of cold water in a sunny spot for hours. Delicious.

Top Bottom