What's new

Cadet Open Comb

I have been looking at the Cadet razors and the open comb TTO model caught my eye. Does anybody own one of these? Any thoughts on quality, or aggressiveness? Thanks

I love mine. I have heard that some of them have blade alignment problems (not mine), but it is a great shaver. Similar in aggressiveness to a Joris or FaTip, in my opinion, but only $20.

I like mine a lot. It's smooth and efficient. The chrome finish on the head of the one I received isn't perfect, but the finish on the handle is very nice.

If compared to a slim adjustable ( If you have one ), what setting would be comparable to the Cadet? After about 7 on the SA, I don't want any part of it. I'm just looking for a "cheap" razor I can shave with everyday and not worry about messing it up or having to clean it every other day. I get funny about my vintage Gillette's having soap scum on them...:blushing:

Yep, as said it's on the upper end on blade exposure - similar to a Fatip. There are a lot of folks with these, as they are sold under several brand names - Cadet, Razorock, Peal, Maggard, HTGAM, etc. Mostly just different handles, but the same heads. I like my Cadets. The finish is not top quality, but it's $20 razor... They are all zamac heads (including the TTO's), so if plating fails you could have some issues with zamac rot. I've not seen any actual reports of issues though.

I have two three-piece OC's, but have tamed them down by mating the base with different caps because they were too aggressive for me. So I now have four razors; two OC and two CC. That being said for a little more $ look at the Parker 24c/26c. Open comb but not as aggressive.

I have one from a purchase on here. Haven't had a chance to use it before I left for work, but the plating and finish on it looks fine.

Geaux, if you're anywhere near me you are welcome to try it.

Oh, I forgot I actually have the specific razor you mention (OC TTO). It looks great, but I have not shaved with it yet. I'll remedy that tomorrow morning and give you my thoughts.

I have one and I like it a lot. I think the aggressiveness is overblown a bit, it seems to be about the same as my Gillette NEW. One thing to be aware of is that the blade might be misaligned initially and you'll have to tweak it a little to get it to sit perfectly straight.

Oh, and when I say I have one I mean I have one of the three piece models - either the TP-44 or the short handled version, I'm not sure which.

Yamaha, I appreciate it but I'm a little ways away from you I live close to Jackson,MS.

James, definitely let me know how it shaves!

I have the Pearl TTO OC and the 3 piece OC, the 3 piece is much more aggressive than the TTO, which O would say equivalent in aggressiveness to the Aristocrat, it's very loud as well with a feedback orchestra.

James, definitely let me know how it shaves!

I gave it a shave this morning, and I really liked it. I concur with what Edison Diplomat said - the TTO OC is quite a bit more mild than the 3 piece Cadet (or the SB TTO). It's very similar to the Gillette OC TTO's, actually. Blade exposure is pretty small, so a you have a relatively narrow range of workable angles, but head geometry pretty well forces you right to that correct angle, as most milder TTO's do. It's every bit as efficient as my Gillette NEWs, so I can't complain. The blade gets a pretty steep bend on it in this razor, which helps with reducing blade chatter/vibration. That also contributes to the milder feel.

The only issue I had is the size of the head. I have lots of TTOs all with heads simliar to this one, but I don't use them much, as I'm really more of a three piece guy. I like the shallow heads on three pieces. But still, I didn't have any major issues under the nose - it just took a little bit more work than normal to get the hairs right below the nostril. BBS in 2.5 passes as usual - on a Feather blade that was on shave number 33.

Last edited:
I appreciate you trying it and writing a review James. So far there has not been anything real negative said about the razor so I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one. Thanks guys!

I appreciate you trying it and writing a review James. So far there has not been anything real negative said about the razor so I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one. Thanks guys!

No problem, happy to. It was the prodding I needed to get a shave done with it! At $26, it's a great buy.

There are so many models of Cadet open combs, yet the heads look so similar. Are these just the same head stuck atop different handles? ... i.e., are the TP-02, TP-24, TP-26, TP-30, and TP-44 (among others) all basically the same razor?

Top Bottom