What's new

CADE is rapidly becoming my favorite

Aluminum seems a very poor choice for a bowl...especially such an expensive one.

I only bought the refill puck and tossed it in a latte mug...

I'm a big fan of Cade as well. Great soap, lousy bowl. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid corrosion? I get black deposits all over the soap from the oxidizing aluminum. Kind of wrecks an otherwise excellent product?

Aluminum seems a very poor choice for a bowl...especially such an expensive one.

I only bought the refill puck and tossed it in a latte mug...

:huh:

Aluminum does not really oxidize (rust) -- that's why they use it in the aerospace industry.

My bowl is 9 months old, gets used regularly, and it still looks absolutely like new.

Last edited:
:huh:

Aluminum does not really oxidize (rust) -- that's why they use it in the aerospace industry.

My bowl is 9 months old, gets used regularly, and it still looks absolutely like new.

+1
No problems with mine either however, I think I heard that they had changed the way the bowl was made at some point. I don't know what is different between the earlier bowls and the one I have but I have not had an issue - yet.

The new ones are anodized. Mine's about five years old, and made of untreated aluminum. Aluminum does oxidize, just at a much slower rate than steel, and the byproduct is not the red rust you find on ferrous metals. I was just wondering if anyone had faced similar problems with the older style bowls. I'll try some oven cleaner.

The new ones are anodized. Mine's about five years old, and made of untreated aluminum. Aluminum does oxidize, just at a much slower rate than steel, and the byproduct is not the red rust you find on ferrous metals. I was just wondering if anyone had faced similar problems with the older style bowls. I'll try some oven cleaner.

Or you could just get one of the new, anodized bowls. :devil:

I'm normally a cream guy, (well have been until this morning and now considering a permanent shift), and have been reading up on straight shaving over the past couple weeks. I've noticed through various threads on numerous forums most straight shavers use soaps exclusively. I have sensitive skin, and always thought that soap would dry my skin and couldn't deliver a moisturizing shave. Having read the reviews on various soaps I took the plunge and bought CADE last night and tried it this morning.

WOW!!! :thumbup:This stuff produced a wicked slick lather which delivered a BBS shave, and I had more lather to last at least another 2-3 passes having completed 4. Simply amazing stuff!! The scent is subtle but extremely manly. I love it!! The moisturizing properties are just as good as any normal cream.

After today's shave, I think I will convert to being a soap user if soaps deliver the kind of lather and shave CADE produced for me this morning.

After today's shave, I think I will convert to being a soap user if soaps deliver the kind of lather and shave CADE produced for me this morning.

CADE is unique in some ways. It is the only non-tallow SS in the top 6 or 7 of my rotation.

It is a great product -- enjoy it! :thumbup:

CADE is my second favorite, after tabac... i like the ASB also, one of winter favorites, but L'occitane Baux is better, has more intense scent, bit warmer... i think i'll be posting a review soon...

Does anyone on here not use the aluminum bowl? All of my other soaps are trumpers (80g), or MWF in the ceramic bowl. Does CADE fit into other 100g wooden bowls? I think I'm just going to ditch the aluminum, try to find something more suitable.

Bought a puck this spring.Great lather,really slick with lots of cushion...smells good. I always get a good shave when I use it.

Cade is a really nice soap... it lathers and shaves great, but does leave my skin a little dry unforntunately. The scent is great - very masculine crisp woodsy thing happening. I totally don't get the allure of the expensive aluminum flying saucer bowl:tongue_sm but to each his own.

Well, after all the hubub lately about CADE I had to run out and get a puck. So this afternoon I went to the KOP Mall and picked one up. I just got finished with my shave and I'll be darned if it wasn't an excellent experience. I soaked the small Beehive and then gave it one shake moving to the puck with a relatively wet brush. I swirled in my usual fashion a count of 20 clockwise and then a count of 20 counterclockwise. I then gave the face a good splash of warm H2O and went at it. Simply put there was a surfactant explosion of wet, slick and nicely scented lather. The shave was as good as you could expect from any soap. I do however agree with many posters that it does leave the face a little dry post shave, but in a nutshell this soap seems to be a very good value and will certainly move into the rotation. Thanks for all who have brought this to my attention through your informative posts.

Well, after all the hubub lately about CADE I had to run out and get a puck. So this afternoon I went to the KOP Mall and picked one up. I just got finished with my shave and I'll be darned if it wasn't an excellent experience. I soaked the small Beehive and then gave it one shake moving to the puck with a relatively wet brush. I swirled in my usual fashion a count of 20 clockwise and then a count of 20 counterclockwise. I then gave the face a good splash of warm H2O and went at it. Simply put there was a surfactant explosion of wet, slick and nicely scented lather. The shave was as good as you could expect from any soap. I do however agree with many posters that it does leave the face a little dry post shave, but in a nutshell this soap seems to be a very good value and will certainly move into the rotation. Thanks for all who have brought this to my attention through your informative posts.

I am surprised by the number of people that seem to experience a little dryness from the CADE SS, given L'Occitane's pedigree as a skin care company and the nature of the ingredients (including, among other things, shea butter). Nevertheless, my skin tends more toward the oily side of neutral, so drying is never a problem for me. I would suggest one of their ASBs, which leave me feeling a bit too oily, might be just the ticket if the SS leaves you feeling a little dry.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. Picked up a puck at the mall after work the other day - great shave. So much lather and such a great scent I did an extra pass just because I didn't want to waste the lather left in my bowl.

Does anyone on here not use the aluminum bowl? All of my other soaps are trumpers (80g), or MWF in the ceramic bowl. Does CADE fit into other 100g wooden bowls? I think I'm just going to ditch the aluminum, try to find something more suitable.

Yes. I placed a puck of CADE into a wooden bowl (I think it was a Taylor's bowl, but could have been a Trumper's) and it fit perfectly. PERFECTLY.

I'm with you guys! I picked up a $10 puck on Friday and am blown away. I can't believe this has been available locally and I haven't tried it this whole time.

Reading this thread got me motivated, so thanks for the reccomendation guys!

It's funny - almost all soaps I've tried are a matter of taste, but somehow the subtle scent and the undeniable lather quality seem to make everyone love the Cade soap. Definitely L'Occitane's best product!

Top Bottom