What's new

CA finish

Hey guys

So I saw a few razors with a CA finish and I really like the look. But I can’t seem to find any write ups or videos on how to do it for straight razor scales. Only pens and stuff on lathes. Any help?

Wipe on several thin coats (allow dry time between coats), sand them with 600+ grit wet and buff to nice shine. Its not difficult to work with.

Best wood finish IMO.

Hard to get right.

I used latex gloves (or whatever they are now), and cut off a finger, put a thin layer on and spread evenly. Allow it to dry completely (don't use any accelerants). Do this for about 4-5 coats and sand smooth (you will see spots where the finish is not smooth). Put another 4-5 coats and repeat. Buff and enjoy.

It really is a great finish but really hard to get right.

Why no accelerant? And should I use 2k grit? Or would 3k grit be better. I have all the way up to 12k grit sandpaper but maybe that’s overkill?

Why no accelerant? And should I use 2k grit? Or would 3k grit be better. I have all the way up to 12k grit sandpaper but maybe that’s overkill?

The accelerant causes cracks.

I dry sand to 600-let’s me see the peaks abs valleys. Once it’s smooth I wet sand to 1200 and buff on jeweler’s rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found if you use the accelerant it sends it milky and it looks like the moon, as Doc says latex gloves cut the fingers off put the CA on the scale then wipe finger over it but dont stop keep moving and smooth it out.

Top Bottom