What's new

C&S CUBA: Body chemistry vs. nose sensitivity?

I'm currently contemplating picking up a bottle of Czech & Speake's Cuba. I know from reviews and forum posts that this one fragrance is very polarizing because some people perceive a "fecal" note.

While I personally never detected this "fecal" note when I wore the samples, I'm wondering if this is because the of the way the fragrance is reacting to my body chemistry or is it because my nose can't pick up on this "fecal" note.

Most importantly, will people around detect a "fecal" note coming off the Cuba I'm wearing? For members here who have tried this scent: Has anyone else ever had a third-party (co-workers, SWMBO, etc) detect a "fecal" note when you, yourself do not?

Thanks!

--Dennis

I gave Cuba a spin a few months ago and ran it past some noses, none of which detected any poop in there. I didn't get the fecal note, either. What was interesting is that it seemed pretty easy to make out what was in it - mostly cedar, some mint, a little tobacco and spice, with a stale rum swimming around in there also. My father gave it a sniff from a couple feet away and got all of that really quickly. I really don't see how anyone can say there's a fecal note in Cuba. Try Kouros in a side-by-side and you'll know what bodily excrememnt in a scent is like . . .

I am on the "love it" side of that polarity. My wife, who regularly wrinkles her nose at fragrances I try, approves of it. So far, I have only gotten positive comments from others also.
To me, the elements that I think some may perceive as "fecal" are present in the opening anyway, and do not last.

I actually have some misgivings about some of the animalic fragrances (is it the civet?) that have faint amine/urine hints at times, wondering if it is noticeable to someone who doesn't have their nose buried in my wrist.

I have similar misgivings. Kouros exudes animalic notes pretty heavily, but the bergamot and "clean" accords probably wipe those out to most noses around me. I haven't found a scent that threw crap in anyone's face yet.

I am on the "other side" with C&S products. Bought the sampler and tried them all. Cuba is definitely offensive and had the dreaded fecal note to me and my wife. Would I smell it on you 5 feet away? Probably not, but I don't really know. I only smelled it on myself which is obviously pretty close :)

I really wanted to like Cuba because I am into tobacco frags, so I was quite disappointed. I may revisit it again in a few months to see where I stand.

88 was the only one of them that I could tolerate, but it's not at the full bottle level for me.

Despite not smelling the fecal note, I didn't like Cuba. Way too much cedar for me! I don't mind the smell of cedar, but for some reason in fragrance it reminds me of a hamster cage.

I get the fecal note with Cuba but it comes and goes very quickly (and the more I wear it the less I identify as 'fecal' to be honest). The only responses I've ever gotten from others was positive from Cuba.

I didn't get the fecal note, and my wife absolutely loved it. I'm working my way through the sampler and am enjoying the varied scents. The frankincense and myrrh is really nice.

Ken

I also get a slightly off smell for the first few seconds after applying Cuba (it's long gone before the alcohol has even had a chance to burn off), but I think the potential problem with this particular frag lies with the perceptions of the wearer - real cigars don't only smell good, they also have a slightly foul note hovering around the edges. Cuba has a very realistic and convincing interpretation of cigars (to my nose), and that sharp, slightly off note is part of the magic. I think the extent to which this note is brought to the fore (and how objectionable it may be) is very much down to individual skin chemistry. If you've worn it and loved it, and also gotten good feedback from others (not least of all the wife), then it's probably safe to say that the so-called "faecal note" is not presenting itself on your skin.

There are some guys who say that this "faecal note" is definitely in there, and if you can't smell it, then it's your nose that's defective - the implication of this is also that a certain segment of the population will always smell this note, regardless of whose skin the perfume is on. This line of reasoning, however, doesn't strike me as particularly logical or intuitive.

This is an interesting discussion. For the record, I love Cuba. But the comments remind me of times that I have smelled fragrances on others over the years, others of both gender, and different ages young and old, who were wearing very heavy applications of fragrances. I think, if you love a scent, you probably can't get too much of it. If you don't like a scent, even a little can be unpleasant to your nose. And I'm really moving beyond the fecal/animalic notes here to all notes, as I've heard others talk about certain flowers like iris for example, or woods like cedar, or spices like clove or cinnamon, that they don't like and they can always pick it out and smell it. My boss told me of an occasion in which a government employee he was meeting with told him his "cologne" offended her. He was only wearing Right Guard deoderant! My own wife has a much more sensitive nose than I do, and can pick up scents, and specific notes in scents, at a much lower level of scent projection than I can.

It's probably just a good reminder to not get carried away and overapply any fragrances, at least not without considering how others around you might react.

I agree. Great discussion. I have no idea whether folks that smell the fecal note as fecal smell the same thing when applied to the skin. I am curious about that for the same reason as everyone else is, I suppose! Joy perfume has a very intense fecal note to me and I think it continues when worn. But I still like that note.

I pretty much agree with Silk, except that I do not know whether logic has much to do with anything. I do think what other folks smell as fecal, I smell as the very best cigar note I know of in a scent!

Much like some folks will say Pinesol at an unfamiliar scent if it has any pine, hamster cage or pencil if it contains cedar or woods, I can see where some make the jump to fecal in this case. I believe it is an attempt by our brains to bring the unfamiliar into a know point of reference. What it is, to me, is ripe or even wet tobacco.

It is on my mental list to get a full bottle or split.

There are some guys who say that this "faecal note" is definitely in there, and if you can't smell it, then it's your nose that's defective - the implication of this is also that a certain segment of the population will always smell this note, regardless of whose skin the perfume is on. This line of reasoning, however, doesn't strike me as particularly logical or intuitive.

Don't be too quick to dismiss this idea just because it is not intuitive. I'll give you a similar example from the world of medicine. Some people say that their urine smells really strange and unpleasant if they eat asparagus; others say that it doesn't happen to them. Careful research has proved conclusively that some people can detect the scent and others cannot. In some cases, even though the individual person can't detect the odor in their urine, it's there, and it is consistently picked up by people who can detect the odor.

So, to me it seems that there is a precedent for a scent note that can only be smelled by a segment of the population.

<there is a precedent for a scent note that can only be smelled by a segment of the population>

No doubt about that! They have a name for it "specific anosmia." Science/scent guy Luca Turin, himself, refers to being anosmic to certain scent notes, I forget which.

There also seem to be terms for folks that smell notes as different than most folks. But I bet it can be easily shown somehow there are lots of different groups of folks each group smelling certain specific scents differently. Lots of sinteresting tuff comes up on the net if you Google anosmia!

I also went through the entire C&S line and found that No. 88 and C&O were the only scents I could tolerate. The fecal note in Cuba was there on me but after a few hours faded away and it wound up smelling just like Brut. I would suggest getting the sample set from them, it's a much smaller investment and you get a credit for the same amount so if you wind up liking Cuba, or any of the other scents, it would be well worth it.

edit: here's a link to the sampler, http://www.czechandspeake.com/samples.asp

Last edited:
Don't be too quick to dismiss this idea just because it is not intuitive. I'll give you a similar example from the world of medicine. Some people say that their urine smells really strange and unpleasant if they eat asparagus; others say that it doesn't happen to them. Careful research has proved conclusively that some people can detect the scent and others cannot. In some cases, even though the individual person can't detect the odor in their urine, it's there, and it is consistently picked up by people who can detect the odor.

So, to me it seems that there is a precedent for a scent note that can only be smelled by a segment of the population.

Some people are just anosmic to certain smells, and can never in their lifetime fully ascertain a scent. Other people don't have this issue and can smell almost everything with equal sensitivity. It's just a case of what gets through :biggrin1:

This is what is worries me about the Cuba scent. Obviously in our very small and unscientific sample on this forum alone we have about a 60%-40% split on people who can and cannot detect an "fecal" or "off" note in the scent.

What I really don't want is for me to think I'm smelling like tobacco when people around me think I literally smell like crap.

--D

This is what is worries me about the Cuba scent. Obviously in our very small and unscientific sample on this forum alone we have about a 60%-40% split on people who can and cannot detect an "fecal" or "off" note in the scent.

What I really don't want is for me to think I'm smelling like tobacco when people around me think I literally smell like crap.

--D

I don't think this would happen and I have only gotten positive comments about Cuba. The fecal argument is very strange to me. I don't understand how what can smell really good to most people can smell like shi!t to a few. By the way, my pee smells when I eat asparagus, which I think is important to mention so guys don't think "asparagus smellers" would also be "crap smellers" by default. The two are mutually exclusive, it seems.

Solution: Odori Tabacco. Pipe tobacco in a bottle. Came highly recommended by Mark (StylinLA) and he was dead on. It blows every other tobacco frag out of the water and there is nothing offensive/fecal about it to anyone that has tried it that I know of. Try it at lucky scent for $4 to see for yourself: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=43101

Last edited:
Solution: Odori Tabacco. Pipe tobacco in a bottle. Came highly recommended by Mark (StylinLA) and he was dead on. It blows every other tobacco frag out of the water and there is nothing offensive/fecal about it to anyone that has tried it that I know of. Try it at lucky scent for $4 to see for yourself: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=43101

I saw StylinLA's post about that scent and I was curious too, since I was mainly looking for a nice tobacco scent. I may have to drop for a decant.

--D

Top Bottom