What's new

C & F Lavender Oil Shaving Cream

Anyone familiar with Castle & Forbes Lavender Oil Shaving Cream?
I have just ordered their Lavender Oil Shaving Cream. Quite expensive but I hope it's good for the money. But quality and the amount of money you pay doesn't always go hand in hand.
Any comments?

pcxpe said:
Anyone familiar with Castle & Forbes Lavender Oil Shaving Cream?
I have just ordered their Lavender Oil Shaving Cream. Quite expensive but I hope it's good for the money. But quality and the amount of money you pay doesn't always go hand in hand.
Any comments?

Peter,
Some people are fond of Castle Forbes shaving creams.... personally they don't do much for me. They aren't BAD per se, but I think they are inferior to the 3T's, C&E, etc. Since you already ordered it - other people's opinions at this point at somewhat moot, as the only thing that matter now is how YOU like it. Personally when my tub of CF Lavender runs out - I will not replace it.

Everyone like something different. For me, I LOVE the Castle Forbes line, and I think it's well worth the money.

I've just purchased the Pre-Shave concoction, though, and I'm not too certain about THAT one yet.

But the Lavender -- it's the cream I grab when I've screwed up my face with a bad shave on the previous day.

Peter,
Some people are fond of Castle Forbes shaving creams.... personally they don't do much for me. They aren't BAD per se, but I think they are inferior to the 3T's, C&E, etc. Since you already ordered it - other people's opinions at this point at somewhat moot, as the only thing that matter now is how YOU like it. Personally when my tub of CF Lavender runs out - I will not replace it.

Everyone like something different. For me, I LOVE the Castle Forbes line, and I think it's well worth the money.

I've just purchased the Pre-Shave concoction, though, and I'm not too certain about THAT one yet.

But the Lavender -- it's the cream I grab when I've screwed up my face with a bad shave on the previous day.

And that, my friends, is why they play the games!

I like the scent better than any other cream I've used. It does take a little more work to get great lather.
Taylor's Lavender is good. I haven't tried any other lavenders yet but I do have a D R Harris tub on order. I'm hoping it will be as perfect as the D R Harris Almond. CF and Harris cost about the same.

You'll love the CF. If not pm me.

-Gerald

I just received a tub of CF Lavender a couple of weeks ago and had heard rave reviews about it. I must admit, I too was underwhelmed with its performance. The scent is wonderful. I will continue to use it until it's gone, but will not buy any more CF creams. But, hey, if it works for you....wonderful!!! :biggrin:

It's so amazing that people can have such diverse reactions to the same product. I almost can't believe that people are not impressed by the performance of this stuff. I too think that this really great stuff and when you nail it the performance is like no other cream. This stuff is my gold standard for shaving cream, especially the lavender.

When I first decided to try this stuff I got little samples that lasted maybe two or three shaves. I was really impressed by this stuff. It whipped up the most efficacious lather that was highly protective, voluminous, and moisturizing. I immediately ordered the tubs and have not been disappointed. Perhaps maybe give this a try using distilled water and let us know if the performance changes. I really hope it does as I can't help but think that something must be off if people aren't getting the same results I am. Anyway, good luck!

Chris

Hmmm. Don't have the lavender, but the CF limes is amazing, and (IMHO) trumps any other limes cream I have tried. I guess much of it is personal opinion. On the plus side, there are enough of us on here that love CF that you should have no trouble getting rid of it...I know I like my CF limes better than the lime made by any of the 3 T's or Coates, either.
John P.

EL Alamein said:
It's so amazing that people can have such diverse reactions to the same product. I almost can't believe that people are not impressed by the performance of this stuff. I too think that this really great stuff and when you nail it the performance is like no other cream. This stuff is my gold standard for shaving cream, especially the lavender.

When I first decided to try this stuff I got little samples that lasted maybe two or three shaves. I was really impressed by this stuff. It whipped up the most efficacious lather that was highly protective, voluminous, and moisturizing. I immediately ordered the tubs and have not been disappointed. Perhaps maybe give this a try using distilled water and let us know if the performance changes. I really hope it does as I can't help but think that something must be off if people aren't getting the same results I am. Anyway, good luck!

Chris

Chris,

After reading you reply I whipped up a batch of CF Lavender Lather using distilled water this afternoon and had a mini shave to try the stuff out. I would have to say there was some improvement in the overall consistency of the lather. It was a little richer and creamier. I have known for a while now that my water hardness is keeping me from getting top notch lather from any of the creams and soaps I use. It is actually more noticable using soaps than creams it seems.

I like a cream or soap that produces a rich, thick and creamy lather instead of a light, foamy and airy lather than some produce. I achieve that consistency time after time with Nancy Boy cream, D.R. Harris creams or Tabac soap. I plan on keeping my CF and trying to improve my lather making technique with it. It is by no means a bad cream, probably just one that will take a bit more work in nailing the cream, water, stirring ratio.

Ahhhh. Yes, there is a difference in the amount of work needed for good lather with CF vs. most others. It should, however, produce lots of great lather after that bit of extra work. Not thin watery bubbles. Not at all. You aren't the first one to have that problem, though. I wonder if it's a batch problem since CF is a very small operation.

Are you putting a small amount into a separate bowl or are you trying to just dip your wet brush into the pot?

designwise1 said:
Ahhhh. Yes, there is a difference in the amount of work needed for good lather with CF vs. most others. It should, however, produce lots of great lather after that bit of extra work. Not thin watery bubbles. Not at all. You aren't the first one to have that problem, though. I wonder if it's a batch problem since CF is a very small operation.

Are you putting a small amount into a separate bowl or are you trying to just dip your wet brush into the pot?

I take a small amount, as most have recommended with CF, and actually spread it around the bottom of my hot, preheated [super-sized] mug with my finger. I then take my ShaveMac 22579 23mm SilverTip Brush, presoaked in hot water and excess water shaken out, and begin to stir and pump vigorously until the desired consistency is reached; adding drops of water as needed. I totally agree that CF takes a lot more "elbow grease" than the 3 T's.

The cream is very stiff in the container. There's no way to "dip" the brush in this stuff! I have nothing to compare it to as far as a batch problem, since this is my first time out with CF. It gets rave reviews, so I plan on practicing until I get it right. After all, one can make many, many batches of lather with a tub of what is quite possibly the most concentrated shave cream I have ever used.

And by the way, the deep, rich, pleasing Lavender scent is enough to persuade me to keep on keepin' on with CF Lavender!!!

Top Bottom