What's new

C&E sienna lathering

I'd like to here how the fellow sienna users make lather from this soap. I have to load my brush much longer than with my other soaps. I find it difficult to pick up enough for a 3-pass shave. Any tricks or suggestions?

I have the C&E Nomad puck but I soak the puck while I am in the shower. I have no trouble loading my brush, hope this helps.

Wow cool I have a reply from the video guru who got me hooked :)

You guys take it out the bowl or soak it with bowl et al?
My puck seems quite stuck in the wooden bowl.

Just put a little bit of water on top of the puck for a few minutes. It'll make the room smell amazing before you start your shave and it'll help your lather.

I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR 17+ YEARS LOVE IT, recently i changed bowls, i have a 4.5 in bowl and the puck sits round side up and i have enough room too go around the puck and circles in the middle, my have about a 1/2 space on all sides of the puck, i can gather so much extra lather its not funny, the lather is just flying to the outer rim-------these are bigger than normal pucks, they need bigger mugs, I just soak me brush whilst in the shower, and then dump it in a filled sink , shake it off and go to town, on the best soap in the world

$IMG_0033.jpg$IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have Sienna but do have Sweet Almond. I drip a bit of water on top the puck, then soak my brush while I wash or shower, then wring out the brush and swirl. Brush loads fine for three passes. Don't know if it makes a difference, but we do have a water softner in the house.

I also have a water softener, hard water is surely no problem. How would you rate the loading time? I have to load it substantially longer than my other soaps

I also have a water softener, hard water is surely no problem. How would you rate the loading time? I have to load it substantially longer than my other soaps

I would say somewhat longer, but not substantially. A little longer than TOBS, longer still than D.R. Harris and Klar Kabinett. Maybe a minute, but guessing since I have never timed it.

I find it works best by starting with a drier brush, and then working in water later. I load for maybe 20-30 seconds, then add water to my brush a little at a time and face lather. I always have plenty of lather. Most of my brushes are "soap killers" however, so that may make a difference

A little practice and the soap should work well for you. I tend to load all of my soaps heavily- this one in particular.

This is one of my easier soaps to lather so i wouldnt think it would need a trick other then what nick mentioned, but i load with a kent blk4 and its certainly not a soap killer, and i never have to soak my pucks either,

20 - 30 seconds of swirl and brush strokes on the puck is all i do before putting to my face, but for some difficult soaps i do have from time to time is to add a few teaspoons of watch to puck and rub a couple of fingers around on top to get the soap up then ill pour the soapy water into a bowl, or into hand to rub on face and load like normal and then hit the bowl/face but usually i only have to do that for a soap that i just got and only on the first use of it, after that its swirl as normal

I just thought that I might not be using enough pressure on the brush while loading. I'll definitely try to soak the puck and add a bit more pressure to it.
I'll post back the results one of the coming days.
And indeed, Sienna smells awesome!! I like it very much! In my short experience it's the best smelling soap yet.

I put water on top of my sienna puck while i shower...also soak the brush and shake it out pretty well. I find the soap is kinda waxy and doesn't load very well. definitely have to go longer than any of my other soaps. The lather is also just ok. it starts out pretty sparse and then gets dense as water is added but gets sloppy too quickly, there isn't a big sweet spot, so it takes a lot of product and a bit of finesse with the water...i'd toss it out if it didn't smell so damn amazing.

It's amazing how many different answers you can get to the same question! I have the Nomad soap which I love and I don't bother soaking it but find I need to start with a wetter brush than normal. The lather starts thin and foamy but gradually builds into a thick, creamy goodness. Mmmmm!

It's amazing how many different answers you can get to the same question! I have the Nomad soap which I love and I don't bother soaking it but find I need to start with a wetter brush than normal. The lather starts thin and foamy but gradually builds into a thick, creamy goodness. Mmmmm!

lol thats what happeneds with, different burshes, different water, different experience levels, people looking for different types of lather

add all that up and you get different answers

I found that this soap was particularly sensitive to hard water. When I switched from hard tap water to distilled water, the lather went from average to terrific. It is just too bad it irritated the hell out of my face.

No problems here. I lather my Sienna as any other hard shaving soap: damp brush lightly on soap for 30 seconds. I add a couple of drops to the brush as the paste forms and then start face lathering.

Top Bottom