What's new

C&E Restoration Questions

I've found an old C&E Boar Brush in my dresser drawer that I had stopped using years ago. My plan is to cut the bristles off as close to the handle as possible, tape up the top of handle for protection and then clean it out carefully with a Dremel, if necessary use epoxy to build a base in the handle for the desired loft height, shape up the base with the Dremel and then set the knot with epoxy. I plan to use a Super Silvertip knot from The Golden Nib and leave the handle in "as is" condition. Is this a sound plan? Any epoxy recommendations, suggestions or comments?

What I have been doing to fill the handle, based upon a recommendation by another member, is to use a wine bottle cork. Trim it down and shove it in. That way you can fiddle with the loft a bit easier. When you get the loft you like, dribble the epoxy around the cork to the height you want, let is set a bit, then glue in the knot.

Good luck and I am eager to see the finished product.

That is a gorgeous handle, it almost looks like wood.

I like the cork idea! A lot less work than building and shaping an epoxy base. Do you feel that it will be strong enough? In real life the handle appears a little lighter in color...I do love the patina.

The old knot is out. The hole measures 22mm at the top and after about 4mm it tapers down to 20mm. The hole is now about 17mm deep with what appears to be a white cup with an ID of about 20mm at the bottom. What do you think, go with a 20mm knot and shape the hole and cup to fit? With a 20mm x 67mm Grade A Silvertip knot I would get a loft of about 50mm. On the other hand I could hog it out to 22mm and go with the 22mm x 65mm Super Silvertip. Comments?

Last edited:
If your comfortable with the extra work and risk (mistakes happen) I think the super silvertip is a better knot. However if you just want to keep things simple the grade A is a good knot. Plus the slightly shorter loft will translate into slightly more backbone and a smaller bloom.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The TGN finest extra stuffed are nice too...depending what you are after.

I'm leaning toward going with the the 20mm Grade A as to avoid damage to the patina at the top inner edge of the hole. However as the plug of the 22mm Super Silvertip is actually 21.5mm in diameter I might be able to fit it without compromising that inner edge. I think that I'll sleep on it, await divine inspiration, and see if more information comes to light.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
LOL you are gonna get the brush restoration bug when you start checking out all the options at TGN, and you can get 3-4-5 knots for the price of 1 midlevel Simpson/Rooney/etc.

Thanks Brian, I had initially intended to post it in the restoration forum and when I realized that it had inadvertantly gone into brushes I was unable to figure out how to move it.

I'm a big fan of filling everything I can in with epoxy. It makes for a little more work but I like the idea of a solid handle. Everybody is different and I certainly have not heard anybody have bad experiences with the cork method. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Utor, thanks for the input. In this case it will not be an issue. The handle thus far appears be solid and I will have to remove very little, if any, additional material as I have decided to use a 20mm x 67mm Grade A Silvertip knot from TGN.

Thanks George! I used her this AM...wonderful, soft and and just firm enough. Here she is in full bloom.

Top Bottom