What's new

C&E Best Brush has Badger Pattern Baldness

I've had nothing but problems with this brush since I bought it. About 2 months ago, I picked up the C&E Best Badger brush. In the first week of using it, I was losing about 5 hairs per day. I thought it was normal at first. Maybe the brush was just being broken in? Well, 2 months have passed and I still lose about 5 hairs on it every shave AND it barely retains any water. About 2 weeks ago, I decided that maybe it just needs a good cleaning. So I soaked it in a minor borax solution for a little while, shook it out, and it still can't lather for crap. So my question is: should I toss this brush with Badger Pattern Baldness (BPB? lol) or is there anything else I can do to save this one? In the first 3 weeks, I had no problem generating lather with it in case folks were wondering. :confused:

crispy said:
I've had nothing but problems with this brush since I bought it. About 2 months ago, I picked up the C&E Best Badger brush. In the first week of using it, I was losing about 5 hairs per day. I thought it was normal at first. Maybe the brush was just being broken in? Well, 2 months have passed and I still lose about 5 hairs on it every shave AND it barely retains any water. About 2 weeks ago, I decided that maybe it just needs a good cleaning. So I soaked it in a minor borax solution for a little while, shook it out, and it still can't lather for crap. So my question is: should I toss this brush with Badger Pattern Baldness (BPB? lol) or is there anything else I can do to save this one? In the first 3 weeks, I had no problem generating lather with it in case folks were wondering. :confused:
Is this the faux ivory-handled model or the faux ebony with metal ring? Since you have had nothing but problems since you bought it, I am surprised you have not already returned it for a purchase credit at a minimum.
I am not quite sure what constitutes a minor borax solution, but does your particular area have hard water? Do you use preshave oils or preps?

I'll try returning the brush, but the customer service at the C&E around here stinks like a wet badger! I guess I shouldn't have waited so long if I had doubts about it.

Ron: It's the faux ivory handled one - no ring. We do have hard water around here, and I do not use any pre-shave oils, etc. It did generate semi-decent lather at first, but now I think the main problem is the water retention (maybe?). The borax solution I use was about a teaspoon full of the 10 man mule team or whatever it's called in the ole shaving mug.

I agree, return it. I had a shedding problem with my C&E Super Badger. Returned it a month later and they gladly gave me a new one which has worked flawlessly.

Sounds like you got a lemon instead of a badger. My C&E travel brush holds water like a swamp monster. My C&E store has great customer service. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I took the brush back, and the new one seems ok for now. It appears to be shedding less. This badger lacks the BPB gene it seems. :biggrin:

Top Bottom