What's new

Bygone Soaps

When I first started using shave soaps about 11 years ago, there was no where near the amount of soaps available there are now. While the current selection is excellent, there are some old favorites that are no longer in production, for better or worse. What's one soap you wish you could still get?

For me, it's the tallow formula Art of Shaving lemon scented soap. I got a puck in the wooden bowl from my then-girlfriend (now wife) way back when I first started shaving, and I loved it. I was very disappointed with the new formula, and now the lemon scent doesn't appear to be made at all anymore. Sad. I still have the bowl (with a tallow puck I managed to snag years ago when AOS still had some tallow stock left), but once that's gone, sadly, that's it.

Those AoS soaps are great. I am working on Sandalwood right now. I used up a Sandalwood and Lavender and have one Lemon left.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Penhaligon's, Trumper's etc. - they all made tallow based soaps, unfortunately, these days are gone.
Another great soap was Yardley. I am glad that I stocked up on some of them. Still have about a half puck of the Trumper's Rose left. But, there are many good modern soaps out.

Czech and Speake Oxford @ Cambridge. I do have a few tucked away in the stash, but I sure wish they were still producing these. One of the best performing and best smelling soaps ever.

Recently I 3017'd a jar of iColoniali mango soap and it was fantastic. If they still made it I'd pick some up.

Some AOS tallow pucks still appear on auction sites. Grab when you can.
Of course, DRH, C&S, Tabac and other soaps continue with their great tallow formulas.

tallow soaps.jpg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I won the AOS set from the annual charity auction which is 3 Tallow AOS soaps. The only reason I wanted it was because they are the tallow version.

no idea when I’ll use them since I’m bearded but at least I have them. I greatly prefer NOS soaps. Vintage Williams, Old Spice, AOS, anything with tallow. It all tickles my fancy.

Sir Irisch Moos. Colgate shave puck. Old Spice shave puck.

Totally agree on SIM. Love that scent, and combined with that Tabac quality performance, that’s a soap that was hard to beat.

I still have some aftershave, and I’m always hesitant to use it, because it’s tough to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won the AOS set from the annual charity auction which is 3 Tallow AOS soaps. The only reason I wanted it was because they are the tallow version.

no idea when I’ll use them since I’m bearded but at least I have them. I greatly prefer NOS soaps. Vintage Williams, Old Spice, AOS, anything with tallow. It all tickles my fancy.

That’s awesome....the tallow AOS soap really was superb. I don’t think tallow is done magic ingredient, and there are plenty of soaps without it that work great, but the current formula of AOS, sadly, isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 7-8 tallow AoS sandalwood I hoarded up. Will probably lose their smell before I ever touch them sadly. I used that soap daily for about 2 years. Can’t say I use it often now, but still one I like.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Mickey Lee Soapworks "The Kraken". Great scent, great performance. I'm slowly using the last of my tub.

Zingari Man The Wanderer is very close in scent to my nose and it also has excellent performance. I was able to obtain a small sample container of Mickey Lee's The Kraken to compare the two scents.

Top Bottom