What's new

Buying vintage Long Comb

In another thread, somebody recommended me a vintage Gillette Long Comb. I have no experience buying vintage, especially this model, and have several questions.

Other than making sure that tha comb is straight and exhibits no bent teeth all that remains, in my mind, is the quality of the finish. So, first question:

If the razor is mechanically sound, it it equally usable whether it is NOS condition or if the finish is worn, spotty, corroded, etc?

And then these, which I posted in the other thread:

What is an reasonable price? I know it depends on condition, so let's say average to very good.
What to look for, as far as condition? (other than teeth)
Do the handles sometimes exhibit a split?
Why are the caps and handles copper on some examples?...worn plating?
Are the razors copper based, then plated in gold?

Thanks.

lasta

Blade Biter
LCs are all plated brass, mostly gold wash, occasionally silver/nickel in some UK variants. so I would t worry about surface condition, metal polish and they are good as new. Copper will last longer than steel, any "patina" is only skin deep.

Flat teeth, unbent screw pin, handle condition.

Common bar handles will not usually split, the ball end types almost always do. Bit modern handles will fit.

LCs are all plated brass, mostly gold wash, occasionally silver/nickel in some UK variants. so I would t worry about surface condition, metal polish and they are good as new. Copper will last longer than steel, any "patina" is only skin deep.

Common bar handles will not usually split, the ball end types almost always do. Bit modern handles will fit.
Thank you.

First, determine if you are a collector or a shaver? Do you need a razor that's in excellent, as-new condition to admire, or just one that is mechanically sound to shave with?
I have several vintage Gillettes in unused condition with no wear on the gold and entirely intact lacquer. They're great to look at, but I don't want to use them on a routine basis and wear the excellent finish. I've also gotten really cheap, well-used razors with raggedy or worn off finish that looked terrible, yet shave wonderfully. Some of my favorites, among others, are a Sheraton, New Long Comb, and an adjustable Aristocrat that were devoid of finish, corroded & dirty, but mechanically sound. Poor things were among my favorites, but were just plain butt-ugly. I considered getting duplicates with better finish, but for the cheap prices I paid, it was more economical to send them out to replate. Now they are real showpieces that are part of my regular shave rotation. Also, replates have thicker plating than the originals, so will wear longer.
Sheraton Re-Plate to post.jpg

New LC Bar Handleto Post.jpg

Take a look at www.backroadsgold.com. Chris does first-rate work at reasonable prices, with quick turnaround time

Last edited:
First, determine if you are a collector or a shaver? Do you need a razor that's in excellent, as-new condition to admire, or just one that is mechanically sound to shave with?
I have several vintage Gillettes in unused condition with no wear on the gold and entirely intact lacquer. They're great to look at, but I don't want to use them on a routine basis and wear the excellent finish. I've also gotten really cheap, well-used razors with raggedy or worn off finish that looked terrible, yet shave wonderfully. Some of my favorites, among others, are a Sheraton, New Long Comb, and an adjustable Aristocrat that were devoid of finish, corroded & dirty, but mechanically sound. Poor things were among my favorites, but were just plain butt-ugly. I considered getting duplicates with better finish, but for the cheap prices I paid, it was more economical to send them out to replate. Now they are real showpieces that are part of my regular shave rotation. Also, replates have thicker plating than the originals, so will wear longer.
View attachment 1436199
View attachment 1436200
Take a look at www.backroadsgold.com. Chris does first-rate work at reasonable prices, with quick turnaround time
Those are very nice.

I ended up getting several vintage Gillette OC razors:

- Fat handle short comb
- Fat handle long comb
- Ball-end short comb
- Old type ball-end

All of them are solid users, with no plating, little or no pitting, and all of them were under $15. Once I have tried them all, I will consider a replate based on the results of the shave.

Correction to post #5:

- Fat handle short comb
- Fat handle long comb
- Ball-end long comb
- Old type ball-end

+1! Excellent advice!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
View attachment 1436199
View attachment 1436200

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely beautiful. If that guy you mentioned does replate jobs, or polish jobs like that, then there is no reason not to buy. Especially if you say he's reliable and doesn't sell garbage. I get a feeling the OP would be better off buying from him, then off some shady seller on Ebay.

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely beautiful. If that guy you mentioned does replate jobs, or polish jobs like that, then there is no reason not to buy. Especially if you say he's reliable and doesn't sell garbage. I get a feeling the OP would be better off buying from him, then off some shady seller on Ebay.
They are pretty...

... but there are tons of nice old Gillette razors on Ebay for under 20 bucks. If you look at my pic, all of those are near perfect mechanically and have just lost the plating. All were $15 or less, and appear suitable for replating.

While it may be simpler to just buy one of his razors on Etsy, I would rather shave with them before I commit to a single $100 replated razor that I may not like.

In my case, I've got four vintage razors to test drive for under $60, that I may never use more that a few times, but will still look nice displayed on the bathroom shelf.

Of course, if you are already sure about which you prefer to shave with, it may make more sense to just buy one of his beautifully replated razors. 🙂

They are pretty...

... but there are tons of nice old Gillette razors on Ebay for under 20 bucks. If you look at my pic, all of those are near perfect mechanically and have just lost the plating. All were $15 or less, and appear suitable for replating.

While it may be simpler to just buy one of his razors on Etsy, I would rather shave with them before I commit to a single $100 replated razor that I may not like.

In my case, I've got four vintage razors to test drive for under $60, that I may never use more that a few times, but will still look nice displayed on the bathroom shelf.

Of course, if you are already sure about which you prefer to shave with, it may make more sense to just buy one of his beautifully replated razors. 🙂
While he does sell refurbished razors, his main focus is replating worn vintage razors. It is usually more economical to replate a razor you send him, than to buy one of his finished razors.

Top Bottom