What's new

Buying vintage Gillette razors

LOL!! You never know, though.

When I was shopping around for my first DE, I looked on Amazon, among other places. In the "Answered Questions" section for one of the razors, a woman asked if it was OK for intimate shaving. Most of the answers were from males, summed up by one man who quipped "Bikini yes, Brazilian no." The very next answer read "I don't know why the guys are being so timid about this. What do they think we used before cartridges came out?"
Well now You have me thinking of eighty year olds with a Brazilian.
i need my brain bleached.

Lucky for me, a friend thought the same way and gave me a 1912-made silver ABC set, in perfect condition.

It shaves great, and is worth $$$.

AA
Brother Astra,

I too have a silver ABC razor (from 1909). It's a good looker, yes!, but it has never given me smooth and comfortable shaves. Do you have any recommendations for improving my experience? Much obliged.

I think some of the kind people who replied to my thread here may have misinterpreted what I was saying. Yes i realize all razors can be thoroughly cleaned but its more the "thought" of where the razor has been which is hard to erase. Especially with some razors that have small stains or marks that cannot be totally removed unless you conpletely replate, replace parts etc

All of those are things that are equally gross and I think about all of them as well and I actively do my best to avoid or limit them! :)
Totally agree, physical money is very dirty, i keep my physical money to a bare minimum after putting most of it in the bank and whenever i touch money i scrub my hands real good. That stuff has been everywhere and is filthy

Based on your replies above I think not only vintage razors, but anything that has ever been used by anyone else may not work for you. Now that being said, there are plenty of new razors available so you still have many great options to explore.

Good luck in your hunt to find what modern razors work for you and I appreciate having one less person to contend with in my hunt for vintage razors!

I probably have 20 or so vintage razors, but I clean them thoroughly. Because of work & hobby endeavors, I have equipment to do so, but you don't need much equipment to clean small metal objects. A halfway decent ultrasonic cleaner will run you under $200 and if you put a razor through one, it will be cleaner than when it left the factory. If you decide at some point to get into making/refurbishing/re-plating, it's a decent piece of equipment to have in your arsenal. It's the same basic technology used in dentist's offices, doctor's offices, laboratories, jewelers/physical-therapy/etc. Things that come into contact with people or other biological material either hit the autoclave or the ultrasonic cleaner or both depending on the equipment, the usage scenario, and applicable laws. They come out as bare metal. If you put a razor through an ultrasonic cleaner and then boil it, it'll be the cleanest thing you've ever owned.

Based on your replies above I think not only vintage razors, but anything that has ever been used by anyone else may not work for you. Now that being said, there are plenty of new razors available so you still have many great options to explore.

Good luck in your hunt to find what modern razors work for you and I appreciate having one less person to contend with in my hunt for vintage razors!

Actually I don't think I ever said I won't buy a vintage. I probably will buy one soon, maybe multiple. I just think that some, more than others, seem kind of gross, like the ones with deep stains on them, especially when you start thinking about where it's been and who may have used it. Ignorance is bliss.

I’m fortunate that five of my vintage razors came from my grandfather and one from my dad. They have history. Family history. I’m perfectly comfortable using them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Brother Astra,

I too have a silver ABC razor (from 1909). It's a good looker, yes!, but it has never given me smooth and comfortable shaves. Do you have any recommendations for improving my experience? Much obliged.
Steve, in the case of an OLD type like this, it's all about the blade. Not a Feather, for sure. Not a Nacet. I do have consistent good luck with Dorco Primes in these mean-shaving OLDs ... Hope/helps!

AA

Steve, in the case of an OLD type like this, it's all about the blade. Not a Feather, for sure. Not a Nacet. I do have consistent good luck with Dorco Primes in these mean-shaving OLDs ... Hope/helps!

AA
May I suggest Bic Chrome Platinum blades for your ABC? Vintage razors are awesome...just clean them and enjoy the history and the shave. This 1910 is one of my ABCs that gets a lot of use because it shaves so well.
BACA0453-76FB-43C0-8F79-B4C5EDD2DE13.jpeg

There are worse things than coming into contact with someone else's decades old soap scum and you expose yourself to them probably on a daily basis without thinking about it. That's the difference here - you're thinking about it. Whether you can or cannot banish those thoughts from your mind? I can't say for sure. But if you can practice some mindfulness and let go, there is a lot of enjoyment to be had from old and well-loved things.

I got into the Gillette vintages because, at the time, there were few other adjustables. Also for nostalgia reasons.

My re-plated Fatboy is my favourite razor.

Thanx for the advice, I'll certainly give it a go. What you say makes sense, as the quality of the blades in the early 20th century were only a shadow of today's much higher quality and thinner blades. The razors of that era were designed for the blades that were then currently available.

Neil-O and Ad Astra: What are your thoughts about shimming the Gillette/ABC Old Type razors, to make the blade gap more similar and accommodating for the thinner blades of today, thereby replicating razor conditions for the thicker blades of yesteryear?

I prefer vintage because it’s vintage. I admire the design and functionality built in by those engineers of old. I appreciate the evolution of razors over the years toward ultimate perfection (i.e. the Tech), and the gimmickry that followed. I have never had any hygienic concerns. When I acquire a vintage razor I scrub it w Dawn and polish it w toothpaste. Vintage makes you a part of shaving history.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I never shim. I get cut whenever I play with razor blades!

The excellent KAI razor blade is somewhat thicker. It's somewhat more expensive, too, but I really liked the tuck I had.

AA

Top Bottom