What's new

Buying vintage Gillette razors

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have bought and used second hand razors and brushes since I started this journey. To date with proper care in cleaning and sanitizing these implements at home I have no problems. I learned how to properly clean them here on the forum. If you do not want to use vintage then that is fine. It will leave more for us to buy.

Have you ever had surgery? Been to the dentist? Those instruments have actually been inside other people's bodies, OMG, they might have had hepatitis or something worse!
🤮 😱

The nice thing about things made of metal is they can be thoroughly cleaned and sterilized. But if you are going to dwell on this stuff, I'm not sure vintage is for you. You might want to get a clone or replica.

For me a large part of the appeal of vintage razors is precisely because of the previous owners. It is the thought of them possibly trudging off to the trenches in 1914, storming the beaches at Normandy, or any number of other things. The more previous owners the better for that adds to the character and appeal. My favourite razor is the Eclipse Red Ring, it is the finest DE shaving razor I have ever used. If it were new and made by anyone from the cheapest Indian maker, to the GSC knock off, to the finest stainless steel artisan maker, then it would not interest me in the slightest. Why? Because it is not vintage, to me it is dull, soulless and without character, and what is worse it reduces shaving to a joyless utilitarian process of mere beard reduction, which for me happily it is not.
Exactly! A few of my vintage razors are inherited either from my dad or grandfather. The only modern models that shave as comfortable for me, and as close, cost substantially more. I actually started out in this hobby preferring the look of modern razors but they dont perform or have as good "feel" in the hand. I've been able to find and get razors and cases in excellent condition with patience and the few less than so I send out for a thorough cleaning and revamping.

If you're that afraid of using a vintage item or a used razor, there are plenty of new options on the market.

Some prefer vintage razors but in my honest experience there are equally good, if not better, modern razors.

I had that apprehensive “disgusted” feeling once with my third vintage razor. So I scrubbed it a second time and soaked in rubbing alcohol again. Used it once and now it’s MINE. The collection is up to five with another in the mail...

I hear you, i guess there's a little difference between some of the super-old ones that have the military history. And then there's your typical 60's or 70's razor that sat in soap scum and dirty water in some sweaty greasy hairy guy's smelly bathroom right next to where he took his dumps for over two decades and oh he may have also used it to shave his groin area every now and then.
My first shave was my grandmothers razor.
you have given me a bad visual, but I don’t think anyone shaved down there in the 60s.

To each his own!! Vintage may not be for you.

There are plenty of ’modern’ razors to try!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Do any of you ride a train or bus to get to work? How about the subways? Yeach!!! Those seats are never cleaned. How about a used car? That seat must have had enough gas pass through its fabric to power your house. How about the textured steering wheel? Who knows where the last owner’s fingers were. Vegetables? Where do the pickers go when they have to go? Oh, and what is the bug level content in that jar of peanut butter or box of cereal?

Brass and nickel plating properly cleaned don’t hold any of the nasties.

The appeal of restoring an antique razor is one of the biggest draws for me. But I can understand and respect other opinions. In the end our milages are varying. So that just means more old razors for me and new ones for you! I see nothing wrong with this arrangement.

I think some of the kind people who replied to my thread here may have misinterpreted what I was saying. Yes i realize all razors can be thoroughly cleaned but its more the "thought" of where the razor has been which is hard to erase. Especially with some razors that have small stains or marks that cannot be totally removed unless you conpletely replate, replace parts etc
Do any of you ride a train or bus to get to work? How about the subways? Yeach!!! Those seats are never cleaned. How about a used car? That seat must have had enough gas pass through its fabric to power your house. How about the textured steering wheel? Who knows where the last owner’s fingers were. Vegetables? Where do the pickers go when they have to go? Oh, and what is the bug level content in that jar of peanut butter or box of cereal?

Brass and nickel plating properly cleaned don’t hold any of the nasties.

All of those are things that are equally gross and I think about all of them as well and I actively do my best to avoid or limit them! :)

Isn't brass antimicrobial? I have taken the most grungiest razor, dunked it in warm water with Dawn Dish Soap, hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles, made it look like new, and shaved with it and didn't die. A used DE razor won't kill you. Just use a brand new blade. Money is probably the most dirtiest thing on the planet, but it won't stop you from using it, touching it, and earning more of it.

Isn't brass antimicrobial? I have taken the most grungiest razor, dunked it in warm water with Dawn Dish Soap, hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles, made it look like new, and shaved with it and didn't die. A used DE razor won't kill you. Just use a brand new blade. Money is probably the most dirtiest thing on the planet, but it won't stop you from using it, touching it, and earning more of it.

Totally agree, physical money is very dirty, i keep my physical money to a bare minimum after putting most of it in the bank and whenever i touch money i scrub my hands real good. That stuff has been everywhere and is filthy

Totally agree, physical money is very dirty, i keep my physical money to a bare minimum after putting most of it in the bank and whenever i touch money i scrub my hands real good. That stuff has been everywhere and is filthy
It is estimated that 80% of the US currency in circulation containes traces amounts of cocaine. Not because 80% passed through the hands of drug dealers, or was used for snorting a line, but that cocaine is so fine that it easily passes from bill to bill when they are in contact with each other. I’m pretty sure that used razor isn’t likely to have coke on it. Maybe some Pepsi?:c1:

I'm not one for making fun of someone who is trying to protect their health. Maybe I'm just wired differently than you. Things that bother me might not bother you. The good thing about this all is that there is a way for all of us to shave.

Here’s something cool to think about... some of these razors have been on this earth longer than us and will continue to be on this earth longer than us if we give them the sort of care/maintenance they need... pretty cool to think about maybe 100 years from now a new generation seeking out the vintages that’s we thrifted and enjoyed. Maybe we’re more a part of the razor’s life and the razor is of ours..

Here’s something cool to think about... some of these razors have been on this earth longer than us and will continue to be on this earth longer than us if we give them the sort of care/maintenance they need... pretty cool to think about maybe 100 years from now a new generation seeking out the vintages that’s we thrifted and enjoyed. Maybe we’re more a part of the razor’s life and the razor is of ours..

So true. My favorite razor is a Gillette New Deluxe. I believe it was made in the early 1930's so it's almost 90 years old, definitely older than I am.

I've never bought a vintage razor before. I understand they can be fully cleaned up, disinfected, some made to look almost new, and even replated

But when I browse through all the old razors on Ebay looking for one to buy, all i can think about is that scene in the Shining where Jack Nicholson walks into the bathroom and kisses the young naked lady only to realize moments later she is a rotting old disgusting corpse

I know it's kind of irrational but i can't get the thought out of my head, using somebodys old gross razor from many decades ago, ew. It could be sparkling polished and I'd still be thinking, what scum was really inside of this thing.... and who used it years ago...

I’d like to suggest that you pick up an older Gillette Old Type, New, or Tech three piece razor. There are no nooks and crannies to hide soap or other gunk, spare the threading and hole in the handle. That can easily be cleaned out with a pipe cleaner and a cleaner like scrubbing bubbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first shave was my grandmothers razor. you have given me a bad visual, but I don’t think anyone shaved down there in the 60s.

LOL!! You never know, though.

When I was shopping around for my first DE, I looked on Amazon, among other places. In the "Answered Questions" section for one of the razors, a woman asked if it was OK for intimate shaving. Most of the answers were from males, summed up by one man who quipped "Bikini yes, Brazilian no." The very next answer read "I don't know why the guys are being so timid about this. What do they think we used before cartridges came out?"

Top Bottom