What's new

Buying TOBS and a bowl. Need help!

Am I the only one that thinks the grapefruit scent is actually a lot like a mandarin??
Hmm... haven't picked up that note. I do, however, think it smells too much like a grapefruit and is distracting. It's got that sour grapefruit smell to it that makes my mouth water. It would be a very strange sensation to shave with that one! JMO.

Try actually smelling a grape fruit before you smell the TOBS. Trust me, I had to haha. I am not saying it smells bad by no means but its not really a Grapefruit smell to my shnoze

So no suggestion for the bowl? I don't want to fork out more than 30 for one. I just want one with ribs on the inside so I can get a faster lather...

Jermyn St. smells excellent and you can get it in a soap puck form. This is my favorite TOBS scent.

St. James is really nice as well but, soap wise, it only comes in a shave stick.

You can read scent descriptions on their website. These are both light, clean really nice scents.

I've tried about all of them and these two are my favorites.

I'm kidding, of course. I welcome everyone's input here :D

As for the bowl, I want one with ridges on the inside. I have found through washing dishes with a brush that the more agitated the brush gets, the quicker it lathers. I found a cheap mortar and pestle bowl on amazon. It has some nice ridges on the inside, and it's light too....http://www.amazon.com/Helen-Kitchen...1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1382572200&sr=1-12 but I am open to more suggestions.[/QUOTE
The sharp ridges on that one would cause accelerated wear on the brush. A simple rice bowl would do the job as would the miso soup bowl previously suggested. Some of those soup bowls look really beautiful.

Check out Garry's sample shop. He sells samples of TOBS creams.

I like Eton College and Mr Taylor the best and would probably go with the latter. Eton is a bit more of a cologne type scent while Mr Taylor is maybe a hair more floral, both are kind of light with some citrus smells, both are very good IMO. I liked St James but found Jermyn St to be kind of foul.

For bowls, a cappucino mug is a good bet because of the handle. You can find them at Bed Bath & Beyond, World Market, or pretty much any store. The big thing for me is that I like a handle so I don't drop it, I want it at least 4" wide so there's room to swirl around, I like the sides to be higher so that the lather doesn't go way up over the edges, and I like the bottom to be dish shaped so the lather can mix nicely.

Really any bowl will do...or you can just dip the wet brush in the cream a little and lather on your face (adding a little water to the brush if necessary as you build). You could also just get two bowls, put hot water in one and "float" the other on top for lathering...sort of like a double boiler....if warm lather is your craving

I don't really have a preference for warm lather. I just want a bowl that has ridges that allows for faster lather making.

I have never met a TOBS that I did not like (although some I like more than others). And the only shaving "bowl" I use is an empty TOBS container. No ridges on the inside, but it doesn't break when you drop it on tile ...

That is true, however, I've got pretty large hands and a solid ledge in the bathroom. I'm pretty careful with my coffee mug I currently use.

Does anyone have pictures of Dirty Bird's Bill Bowl, shaving mug, or soap bowl? They are pretty reasonably priced in my opinion. I do take note of the wait :(

Jermyn Street has been ordered from WCS. Funny how Amazon makes the product cheaper, but at the same time compensates for that by charging nearly 8 bucks for shipping! WCS, the product itself was more expensive, but shipping was cheap enough that I upgraded to priority over standard, and it was still less than Amazon!

The Bill Bowl, named after the great Tex Billy who collaborated on it's design with Julie at DirtyBird, is a good example of what a shave mug/bowl should be in terms of width vs. height. As you've probably discovered, coffee cups are a little too narrow and a little too tall to easily whip up a good lather.

You can simply google Dirty Bird Bill Bowl for a ton of images, many showing brush and lather.

I don't have a Bill Bowl (yet), but do have a DB 1.5 scuttle and can attest to the build quality and beauty of Dirty Birds products. IMO, you can't go wrong with Dirty Bird.

Old Spice mugs are pretty good if there's a puck of soap at the bottom and you build your lather right on top of them. They have the benefit of secutiry as they fit nicely in your not always dry hands with a finger through the loop. Another very effective shave mug, is the humble salsa bowl sold almost everyone. The Salsa bowls have a lightly roughened texture which aids in building lather.

Regarding which TOBS to buy. Gary's Sample Shop offers most if not all, TOBS creams in small sample size or a complete TOBS sampler. http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/

Gary is a member here and held in high regard.

I have ordered many samples from Gary, so I know his quality.

Thanks for the info about the shaving mug from DB. I think I'll email them in ask if they have any ready to ship or if they are made to order.

Jermyn Street has been ordered from WCS. Funny how Amazon makes the product cheaper, but at the same time compensates for that by charging nearly 8 bucks for shipping! WCS, the product itself was more expensive, but shipping was cheap enough that I upgraded to priority over standard, and it was still less than Amazon!

Amazon doesn't upcharge for shipping, just the actual shipping cost at a cheap rate. Sounds like you were looking at a third party seller listing on Amazon. There are all sorts of sellers available on Amazon, revealed by the "Sold by" under the product.

Thanks for the info about the shaving mug from DB. I think I'll email them in ask if they have any ready to ship or if they are made to order.

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full!!!

In my experience Julie practically never has anything ready to ship.... everything is made to order with a significant wait period. Don't let that get you down though..... the wait is totally worth it. I have used my DB 1.5 for literally EVERY shave since I received it ~ 2 months ago. So you can see how much I like it.

- Badger Bill

Top Bottom