What's new

Buying scales and peening

Curious about how to approach this with basic tools not including a drill press.

Got flush cutters for the job, a razor lot with some nice scales on eBay for $30 thinking I may just reuse a few from there.

I also see on Amazon - today gold dollar razors are 46% off, cheap as heck with decent looking scales...

So. Is this idea of taking scales off other razors and replacing damaged scales on my antiques a good one to begin with? Should I focus on new scale altogether? Would the cheap new gold dollar present usable scales to tear off and use on a good straight?

Also, where do you guys get peening collars and pins? Maggard?

I've gotten to restoration of blades, but the scales are the last frontier for me, so advice if I'm on the right track would be great! Thanks!

Micro fasteners is where you find basic pins and washers. But AJ Kenney on ebay sells good stuff too. I buy from him a lot.

Matching scales to blades is a little more than you think. When a blade is closed the spine should resemble the top edge of the scales. Also its best when the blade tip is close to the wedge. And be sure the blades edge is safely inside the scales when closed and centers when closed.

These things are not as easy as you think and take practice to do properly. And thats not even counting pinning. It can be dont. Just go slow and read about it first before jumping in with both feet. A drill press is important when drilling as you need perfectly straight holes that kine up perfectly with each other. But some manage without one.

Goid luck.

You will not be arrested or sent to jail for transferring or making scales. Both are excellent ideas. The only way to learn this stuff is to dive in.

I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out what to buy. Take a look at this post and this thread:

You will also want to check out Alfredo's (@Doc226) post about how to make scales:

There is also a good series that Brad Maggard made about how to restore a straight razor that goes into making scales:

Nice links
Yep. Ya just got to go for it and read and try. It takes a little practice. What normally happens with making your first set is they end up being extra thick and bulky. It happens to most of us.

Nice links
Yep. Ya just got to go for it and read and try. It takes a little practice. What normally happens with making your first set is they end up being extra thick and bulky. It happens to most of us.
I am 100% not going to make them, that would involve buying a number of tools I legitimately do not have the coordination to use - hoping that transferring scales is doable because I can manage to put pins in and snip them and carefully hammer them and such. Shaping, cutting, etc entire scales though? Just not something I could functionally do. And I don't think I want to buy a whole drill press for this and only this.

But I take your point about jumping in - I got a lot on the bay for cheap that I can just... Ty to swap scales with and see. I'll have to get the collars and pins off the sites mentioned, thanks a ton!

If you ever do make scales, I also use:
  • 8 inch 4-in-1 file/rap
  • rectangular cabinet scraper
  • burnishing tool to sharpen the cabinet scraper

I am 100% not going to make them, that would involve buying a number of tools I legitimately do not have the coordination to use - hoping that transferring scales is doable because I can manage to put pins in and snip them and carefully hammer them and such. Shaping, cutting, etc entire scales though? Just not something I could functionally do. And I don't think I want to buy a whole drill press for this and only this.

But I take your point about jumping in - I got a lot on the bay for cheap that I can just... Ty to swap scales with and see. I'll have to get the collars and pins off the sites mentioned, thanks a ton!
I jumped in and made a set from scratch...my first time making scales.
It is my entry in the Gold Dollar Mod competition running at the moment.

I used 3mm acrylic sheet, so they weren't ever going to be too thick.

I cut them out with a $10 coping saw.

Glued them together with a couple of dots of glue on the paper that covers the sheet.

Filed the edges smooth with a $15 file.

Bevelled the edges with the file, then rounded over with the file to a smooth profile.

Started at 120 grit wet and dry too take the file marks out.

Progressed to 1200 grit then autosol metal polish and a cloth.

Split them apart easy, as the paper was what had the glue on it.

I drilled the holes with a handheld cordless drill, keeping it straight by eyeball...hinge pin holes while the scales were glued together, then I made a wedge from the same acrylic sheet using coping saw and file.
Pushed a pin through the pivot holes and blade, stuck the wedge end with super glue, then drilled through.

I would have preferred to have a proper pin kit with collars, but I didn't...so I made the holes in the scales slightly tapered by wiggling the drill slightly, would have been no more than a quarter of a millimetre of taper.
Cut the pins slightly longer, gently peened swapping sides often, then filed the pins almost flush.

I used Tobin Bronze brazing filler rod for the pins...worked well.

At some point I will repin and add washers...it is a little tighter than I prefer, but it works well.

$12 piece of acrylic, a few dollars in sandpaper, a $10 saw, $15 file, $5 drill bit and a cordless drill, hammer, and super glue and metal polish that I already had.

20220704_125934.jpg

20220704_125943.jpg

20220704_141926.jpg

20220704_155004.jpg

20220704_174745.jpg

Less than $50 to set up, and I still have enough material to make another dozen sets.

I respect your decision to not make scales. Knowing your limitations is a big thing and some just cant say no.

You can drill without a drill press but the trick is to be sure you are drilling straight. I'f you have to drill, as used scales will already have pin holes.
But if you do find yourself needing to drill free handed, Tape an already drilled scale to the top of what you want to drill. Use its hole as a guide. Be sure you are going to drill in the center of the scales you want a new hole in by touching the bit down through the predrilled scale to the scale you want to drill and check to be sure your lined up. Then drill through both scales at the same time that need the new hole.

So you will have both scales that need drilled plus a third taped all together and the top one being there as a guide.
Hope that makes sense. But if your just enlarging a hole its no big deal. Drilling new holes needs to be done right.

You will find that holes in old scales will be 1/16". Its recommended to drill holes at 5/64". Just a smidge more so you dont fight getting pins in and have a tiny bit of wiggle room for adjusting.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom