What's new

Buying razors

I’m looking at restored vintage razors on razor emporium. Is it worth paying the prices that they’re asking for to buy vintage razors from them. I get that they put the work into restoring the razors to look probably a lot better shape than what they received them in, and to be shave ready upon receiving them. But it just seems somewhat pricey to me. But that’s just me. Just curious what other people think.

Just the same as restored classic cars, restored classic razors are worth whatever someone will pay for them.

I'll remind you that Razor Emporium has 15% off sales several times per year. In fact, one such sale ends today. Code MAY22SAVE

I’m looking at restored vintage razors on razor emporium. Is it worth paying the prices that they’re asking for to buy vintage razors from them. I get that they put the work into restoring the razors to look probably a lot better shape than what they received them in, and to be shave ready upon receiving them. But it just seems somewhat pricey to me. But that’s just me. Just curious what other people think.
As Big T said, it's worth it to the buyer. I have seen quite a few restored vintage Gillettes on Etsy for less than what Razor Emporium was asking.

Just the same as restored classic cars, restored classic razors are worth whatever someone will pay for them.

I'll remind you that Razor Emporium has 15% off sales several times per year. In fact, one such sale ends today. Code MAY22SAVE
I saw that email. I just wasn’t sure if I still wanted to drop the money though. I wasn’t sure if quality was better there than other places.
As Big T said, it's worth it to the buyer. I have seen quite a few restored vintage Gillettes on Etsy for less than what Razor Emporium was asking.
I have seen some vintage stuff on there for cheaper. I just wasn’t sure if for the price quality was better. Who on Etsy would have a good selection of good vintage Gillette razors?

I saw that email. I just wasn’t sure if I still wanted to drop the money though. I wasn’t sure if quality was better there than other places.

I have seen some vintage stuff on there for cheaper. I just wasn’t sure if for the price quality was better. Who on Etsy would have a good selection of good vintage Gillette razors?
For restored razors, Chris Spencer has a store on Etsy. His business is Back Roads Gold and the items for sale change all the time. There are a lot of sellers on Etsy and I've had good interactions and purchases with a few of them. I just use type in vintage gillette razor in the search bar and see what is currently available.

I have gotten several razors for the purpose of replating. It's cheaper to get a really ¢rappy-looking razor covered with crud and corrosion, than to get one of Matt's Razor Emporium refurbs - they're pretty pricey.
My latest refurb is a Gillette #160 that looked like it had been buried with Grandpa for a few decades, then dug up and put on E-Bay. I cleaned it up enough to shave with it & it did shave well, so I sent it to Chris at Backroads Gold. He is a master at replating. His turnaround times are only a coupe of weeks and prices are fair.
Goodwill new replated.jpg

Some of Chris' other work:
IMG_20220405_115526-1.jpg

I wouldn’t buy from RE. Functional razors are available on EBay, Etsy and elsewhere on line for much, much less. Antique stores and flea markets are a great source, too.
Price depends on whether you want a functional razor or a museum piece. Any razor can be cleaned up but if you want a piece of sculpture you’ll have to pay a lot more. That said, even the most meticulously restored, replated vintage will cost much less than a Wolfman, etc and will provide decades of great shaves.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy from RE. Functional razors are available on EBay, Etsy and elsewhere on line for much, much less. Antique stores and flea markets are a great source.
Price depends on whether you want a functional razor or a museum piece. Any razor can be cleaned up but if want a piece of sculpture you’ll have to pay a lot more. That said, even the most meticulously restored, replated vintage will cost much less than a Wolfman, etc and will provide decades of great shaves.
Trade you a Wolfman for a bottom dial :)

Top Bottom