What's new

Buying my 2nd brush after 15yrs

I don’t know what the Simpson selection is like at the location on Lex but the one on 34th has a nice chunk of shelf of Simpson brushes (some pushing perhaps 10-15 years old I think). It’s too fun chilling up there with the stool browsing them and they were willing to let me have at it and were patient with me. You may be surprised with what you end up rolling with. Ended up grabbing an Eagle last time I was there.
I always forget they have the location on Lex, the 34th St shop is more convenient for me. It’s a fun store every aisle is crammed full of things you’ll never see in your common pharmacy.

Hi all. I’m looking to replace my first and only brush. It’s C&E Edwin Jagger Best Badger purchased about 15 years ago. Still in decent shape and gets the job done, but starting to show its age. I’m not a collector of shaving accoutrements, so this will probably be the only brush I buy over the next several years.

I’m a face lather and I use mostly milled soaps. I’ve never used a silver tip, but I think it may be to soft for my liking. I like the exfoliating action of BB. Can that be achieved with a silver tip? I’d like to try a brush that’s a bit bigger than the C&E. I think the C&E is the same size as the EJ Medium BB which has a 21mm knot. Not exactly sure what to look for as far as shape goes.

My local shop is Pasteur and I’d rather purchase there than online. Like to see it before laying down the cash. They seem to have a pretty good selection of the big name brands. Hoping to find something around the $100 mark. Could go higher for the right brush, but not into the really high end. Leaning towards a Simpson as of right now but I’m open to anything.
Get a Simpson Duke 2 or 3

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I do enjoy my Semogue Owner's Club Mistura brushes a lot. I think they outperform their price point.
This is a brush with excellent backbone and just a touch of scrub. I think you'd find the size just what you're looking for, and priced under your limit. The SOC badger 2 band is an excellent brush with a touch less backbone and soft tips.

First, congratulations! You have far more restraint in the brush department than I.

I also envy your ability to just stop by Pasteur’s, one of the great shaving shops.

That said, I am a big fan of Simpsons badger brushes! My current stable includes:
Chubby 1 best
Duke 2 best
Classic 2 best
Simpsons 57 best
Tulip 2 super
Tulip 3 super

I would endorse any of these options for daily use!

I also use a Wee Scot as my ’travel’ brush.

DB71DE8A-F438-49A7-BAED-5DCF974C0934.jpeg
Thanks everyone for your recommendations, really appreciate the level of responses I’ve received. What a great community!

I went by Pasteur this morning and picked up a Duke 3. Based on the reviews here and what I saw in shop I think I made the right choice.

Time for an afternoon shave!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1473838Thanks everyone for your recommendations, really appreciate the level of responses I’ve received. What a great community!

I went by Pasteur this morning and picked up a Duke 3. Based on the reviews here and what I saw in shop I think I made the right choice.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll enjoy it... many great shaves.

View attachment 1473838Thanks everyone for your recommendations, really appreciate the level of responses I’ve received. What a great community!

Congratulations! How nice you can stop by & handle the brushes to find the right one. May you have many years of enjoyable shaves, sir.

Top Bottom