What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

Twelvefret, what shaving soaps have you tried?

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your question. I've tried Williams, Arko, HASLINGER, and two formulas of VDH. Cost is the primary reason I've not ventured forth. However, the VDH and Arko contain glycerin. Glycerin is an important ingredient for straight razor use.

I'd actually say that buying blade samplers when starting is worse than buying 100 of the same brand. The fewer variables when starting out, the better.

100 blades will last me about 3 years. I personally wouldn’t want to be stuck with one blade for that long unless i loved it. I’m glad i bought a sampler first. I bought 2 of each blade and find after 2 blades i know whether i like them or not. My mistake was buying a cheap razor off the bat. But since it was an impulse to switch to DE one day at the supermarket, i’m not unhappy with my decision. If i’d started here first i’d have done better.

Sorry for your experience with Astra blades. I'd like to argue that maybe your prep isn't as well? They are super sharp blades for me. Maybe you are using an agressive shave? Remember, angle starts with the handle perpendicular to your skin, not the safety bar.
Feather DE blades are the sharpest that I've tried. They do not tug my crazy whiskers at all, but they do scrape my face or shave too much skin for comfort. Kai blades are the second sharpest for me. [Personna Med Prep is my favorite.]

Merkur 39c sledgehammer razor is my favorite DE razor. The Merkur Progress with Lee's Razor modification is my second favorite DE razor. However, I now use the Feather DX razor at home and the Feather Artist Club on the road. Feather Professional SE blades are currently used, but I will try other blades soon. Personna and Kai are on that list.

In the end, it goes without saying that all DE and SE blades are sharp; otherwise, no one would shave with them. Unfortunately, my whiskers and hair are difficult. Even my sister-in-law expressed issue with my hair since she used to cut my hair with only scissors. The sessions typically ended with tiny bits of my hair stuck in her cutting hand. Only tweezers could get them out.

However, I now use the Feather DX razor at home and the Feather Artist Club on the road. Feather Professional SE blades are currently used, but I will try other blades soon. Personna and Kai are on that list.

I have a Feather AS D2 Razor and love this when used with the Feather blades. However, I tried a Polsilver Super Iridium blade in it for the first time yesterday and was blown away by the smooth shave it gave - definitely a blade to consider in your quest!!

This blade was part of a trial pack, but I have bought 100 pack now for future use!

Andy

Buying 100 or more razor blades of one brand early in the journey is something I would put near the top of the list.

At least blades are "cheap". I didn't mind PIF'ing 70 of my first 100 Derby (1st purchase), but I do recommend trying at least 10 blades before investing in 100.

Talk about buying mistakes ($$)? How about an $80+ soap (MdC) and some $30 soaps which I didn't like & trashed or gave away, or the 25 brushes I bought in nine years. I sold most of the brushes at a loss, but I must still have 8-9 brushes and only regularly use 4 of those.

At least blades are "cheap". I didn't mind PIF'ing 70 of my first 100 Derby (1st purchase), but I do recommend trying at least 10 blades before investing in 100.

Talk about buying mistakes ($$)? How about an $80+ soap (MdC) and some $30 soaps which I didn't like & trashed or gave away, or the 25 brushes I bought in nine years. I sold most of the brushes at a loss, but I must still have 8-9 brushes and only regularly use 4 of those.

Just think of the billions you saved on cartridges and canned goo.

Just think of the billions you saved on cartridges and canned goo.

I have probably spent more in 9 years of DE then I spent in 40 years of using carts, but it has been a lot more enjoyable and I have no regrets. Once you ignore the hype and narrow down what works, and stick to it, it's much cheaper. I wasn't interested in saving money. I treated wetshaving as a hobby after retiring.

My wife is certainly happier with my wetshaving. Before wetshaving, I was spending my spare cash on silent films, which she couldn't stand. I must have 400 of those.

I have a Feather AS D2 Razor and love this when used with the Feather blades. However, I tried a Polsilver Super Iridium blade in it for the first time yesterday and was blown away by the smooth shave it gave - definitely a blade to consider in your quest!!

This blade was part of a trial pack, but I have bought 100 pack now for future use!

Andy
My Feather DX razor uses single edge blades; therefore, Polsilver won't work. For DE blades, I've found Personna Med Prep to be the best for me; I've already purchased 50 blades for the Merkur 39c sledgehammer slant.

I prefer single edge shaving for superior control over technique nowadays. DE shaving allowed me to understand blade angle and technique prior to graduating to SE shaving. I probably should not have purchased the second Lee-customized Merkur Progress razor despite its beautiful look..

I want to try voshkods but I'm not sure how the teflon will affect recycling. Me and my buddies give my blades to a shop that melts them down and makes knives.
I can PIF you a few Voskhods since I hate them. Had to purchase a 50 or 100 pack just to try them.. Just PM me your address, don't hold your breathe on fast delivery though..

More money does not mean a better shave. It will increase the experience, but same end results.

Learn to be patient. Give it a few tries before you decide it's not for you. This relates to software, razors, blades, brushes.

A more aggressive razor isn't upgrading. Mild razors perform as well. You just have to learn the technique. Each razor is different and requires different angles.

My mistake was aftershaves. I've got about 150 bottles. I started with drugstore, then went to vintage drugstore (English Leather, Old Spice, Brut, Clubman, Sterling, Aqua Velva, etc.), then exotic European aftershaves (Floid, Myrsol, Speick, Pitralon, etc.), then artisans (PAA, Captain's Choice, Wm Neumann, Blackship, etc.).

Finally, I discovered Chatillon Lux, which is much more than scent and alcohol. Then, Maol Grooming came out, which is also face food. I haven't bought any other aftershave for many months (except a bottle en route from Murphy & McNeil, only because I love the scent of Ouroboros, though I'm pretty sure it won't perform better than Chatillon or Maol).

If I were starting over, I would limit my aftershave inventory to Chatillon and Maol.

Imo, big mistake = buying “mild” razors and blades because you’re a noob. You’re more likely to do more passes with bad technique resulting in compounding levels of more irritation. Go sharp. Go efficient. ESPECIALLY if you’re new.

+1 on this! I assumed that because I have sensitive skin I needed a mild razor. I found that two passes with a larger gap gave me a better shave than three passes with a milder razor and far less skin irritation.

Hmm. Consensus? Buy a mild, no, an assertive razor? Stick with one thing? Change up and sample? Don't buy 150 aftershaves?

Good thing there is BST and PIFs, right? :)

Like so much in life, if I knew then what I know now....

For me it was pursuing lot of pre-shave products to make my shave more comfortable (I did the same thing with soaps). I need to put in work on my technique (lathering and shaving). Once I started doing that, I started getting better shaves. I encourage a new shaver to take their time and work on their technique.

I haven't read all the responses, so apologies if this has been covered.

The things you think you need to have at the beginning are not necessarily the things you need later on. Especially if you're oriented to "I gotta get my kit set and I'm done". Over time you will notice different things or find that things work differently over time. Loading up pre-maturely then realizing what you loaded up on isn't exactly what you need or want. If you think you need a,b,c and d to be all set, you'll find over time that maybe b and d isn't best for your and then be on the hunt for e and f.

Top Bottom