What's new

buying Injector for first time

Okay guys. I'm wanting to buy my first Injector razor. There's a ton of the Schick versions on auction sites. What should I be looking for? Adjustable or fixed? And particular models to stay away from? There are some that are new in package with blades. From what I've researched, the older but NIB Schick blades are the best. Does this go for any of the older version? Or is there a particular box i'm looking for.

I recommend the PAL stainless steel adjustable. Shaves great, has five adjustments and its beautiful . You won't be: saying , "Why did I buy this ugly plastic razor?":001_smile

I used a Schick adjustable back in the day and liked it. As a matter of fact I wish I still had it. As for blades, the Schick blades were okay but If you can find some NOS Personna 74's I think you'd be really impressed with the shave.

The Schick Type L is a good model to start with; there are a lot to choose from on eBay, or use the Shaving Mall B-S-T forum here. As for blades, the NOS Schick Plus Platinums (Teflon-coated, yellow box with blue bannering), are also on eB. Not cheap, but worthy. Newer Chinese-sourced Schick blades are not quite as sharp or smooth, but adequate, and you can find them at drugstore.com, for example.

Before, I would have said go for one of the older, common Schicks (older meaning '40s era...I believe in learning on one with bite and bypassing the less aggressive ones, but that's me). But since you're aware of the Adjustables (Schick's and Pal's), might as well shoot for one if you can snag it. You'd end up wanting one eventually anyway, if you tried a non-adj and liked it.

And if you end up not liking the adj, you'll have no trouble finding someone to take it off your hands.

I just picked up my first injector, a PAL stainless adjustable. Found it in an antique store for $5.

I cant see any difference when I adjust it - I may have to mess with the tensioner. So far, a great, well built injector.

I got my Pal adjustable for free as a bonus with a lot I bought. I like it, but I think the WW2 era E type injectors shave closer/are more aggressive. The only downside I can think of with the E type Injectors is that shaving with one feels like shaving with a Bic disposable. They're short and light. This does not detract from the quality of the shave. They'll take the fuzz off in a hurry. I just find myself using too much pressure with them sometimes, and my face pays the price. If you are short on time and need to do a quick single pass shave, the Injectors will get you presentable in a hurry.
I really need to experiment more with my Injectors, but I just like my DEs and SEs so darned much.

I retract my previous statement - I can definitely see the movement when adjusting.

I have to say, after 2 shaves with the PAL, it seems to give me a closer shave than any of my DE's, including my Slant. Second day and barely feeling any stubble. Not bad for a generally hairy b***ard.....

There are some New old stock Schick injectors with pack of blades on Ebay. Just a basic 70s model with black handle. Are these decent?

If the razor has the Y-shaped chrome head, it's probably the '70s L-model. If the blade pack that comes with it says Schick Plus Platinum with Teflon coating, then it's worth considering.

Last edited:
I retract my previous statement - I can definitely see the movement when adjusting.

I have to say, after 2 shaves with the PAL, it seems to give me a closer shave than any of my DE's, including my Slant. Second day and barely feeling any stubble. Not bad for a generally hairy b***ard.....

Good! :thumbup1: What blades you using again?

There are some New old stock Schick injectors with pack of blades on Ebay. Just a basic 70s model with black handle. Are these decent?

If you're willing to pay what the NOS price will be driven up to by other bidders, probably. I paid $49.99 shipped for an NOS Personna Injector with a 7 pack of Personna 74 blades, but I don't claim that it was smart to spend that much. Haven't used this one yet. Still working through my RAD backlog.

Of those I have used, I get almost equally good shaves with my G1, I2, and L1 injectors. I just wonder if, buying an older E or G type unseen, there might be more chance of getting a dud.

Last edited:
I paid $49.99 shipped for an NOS Personna Injector with a 7 pack of Personna 74 blades, but I don't claim that it was smart to spend that much.

That's your call to make but you gotta admit, that's easily in the top five finest looking razors ever made, and definitely the best looking injector (that spoon handled one is nice but looks like it has a spoon for a handle).

Top Bottom