What's new

Buying in Canada

Cars are much more expensive in AB compared to MT.

We have a nice house in AB. I could only afford a garden shed in SF or LA. Maybe a decent place in TX (but not Austin), but not CA.

NS is lovely, but I've heard taxes are super high and health care is iffy for retirees.

Is Italian Barber in Canada?
Maggards has a good shipping solution for Canadians. It takes a few weeks and has no tracking but it is cheap. I bought a knot from ApShave and the shipping to the US was $8 cheaper than shipping it to my house in BC, so I shipped it to a family address in LA where I'll retrieve it next trip.

Is Italian Barber in Canada?
Maggards has a good shipping solution for Canadians. It takes a few weeks and has no tracking but it is cheap. I bought a knot from ApShave and the shipping to the US was $8 cheaper than shipping it to my house in BC, so I shipped it to a family address in LA where I'll retrieve it next trip.

Italian Barber is outside Toronto.

I put the same package into Canada Post's on-line shipping estimator, one to a local address i could walk to, my parents house, and an address in Pennsylvania, the shipping to the US address was less.
dave

Last edited:
Can’t say enough good things about Carmine at Top of the Chain in St. Catharines, Ontario. Large variety of supplies and he carries brushes as well. Shipping is reasonable and free if over $60.

From my experience:
  • Carmine at ToTC is great for the variety of product that he stocks. Generally gets new releases from the more popular artisans. Does not have a lot of hardware but does stock some good ones (Blackland razors for example)
  • Yaqi brushes have been great! Ordered a few synthetics and then recently bought badgers. Occasional sales make for very good deals. QA can be a problem sometimes but I find them good value nonetheless.
  • I bought Omega brushes from Fendrihan. They also sell B&M at slightly cheaper prices than ToTC.
  • The next piece of kit I'd like to pick up is a Maseto badger brush from ebay. Well reviewed brush and the seller has a good reputation too.

I have not bought anything from the US but with considering Maggards for future soap samples.

For those in the GTA - heads up that Carmine/ToTC is looking at arranging a pop-up store sometime in June. (I went to the pop-up in St. Catherine's last weekend)

From my experience:
  • Carmine at ToTC is great for the variety of product that he stocks. Generally gets new releases from the more popular artisans. Does not have a lot of hardware but does stock some good ones (Blackland razors for example)
  • Yaqi brushes have been great! Ordered a few synthetics and then recently bought badgers. Occasional sales make for very good deals. QA can be a problem sometimes but I find them good value nonetheless.
  • I bought Omega brushes from Fendrihan. They also sell B&M at slightly cheaper prices than ToTC.
  • The next piece of kit I'd like to pick up is a Maseto badger brush from ebay. Well reviewed brush and the seller has a good reputation too.

I have not bought anything from the US but with considering Maggards for future soap samples.

For those in the GTA - heads up that Carmine/ToTC is looking at arranging a pop-up store sometime in June. (I went to the pop-up in St. Catherine's last weekend)
Where is that info available? On the store site?

I would think a notice would be posted on Facebook or Instagram, also on the website, store mailing list.

Schedule – Top Of The Chain
dave

Where is that info available? On the store site?

The last pop-up was on their website when it was set up. The next one is still in the planning stages and he mentioned a pop-up in Toronto area for end of June.

If you have any suggestions on a good place, I think he's looking for ideas of where to set up. He's coming in from St. Catherines.

The pop-up on the weekend was great - he pretty much brought all his stuff there which was a lot to smell and sniff. I definitely recommend attending one in the future, especially when it comes to software.

I have just recently fallen in love with wet shaving (straight razor and double edged razor shaving). I have ordered from a few sites, but found Fendrihan.ca to be an excellent option for buying several products in Canada (to avoid the issue of excess shipping fees and wait times from the American sites). I feel like this is an add for the site (I am not affiliated in any way), but I was surprised that the prices were almost universally cheaper than even those on Amazon). You can use this code, if you like, to get 10% off a purchase over $85 at Fendrihan.ca: Fendrihan Canada - Shaving, Grooming and Men's Gifts .

I had a good experience with West Coast Shaving Company from the USA, but they do charge shipping no matter the size/price of your order and I wasn't able to get the enticing free gift (offered if you spend a certain amount in the USA). The shipping was fairly quick and I didn't have any extra fees charged.

I am about to make a few big orders through Top Of The Chain Top Of The Chain – Wet Shaving & Grooming and can let you know how that goes if you like. Obviously others have posted about these sites as well; I just thought I would start trying to add my two cents and be engaged in this wonderful forum. Wishing you a happy shave!

Last edited:
Maggards razors is another US based company that offers very reasonable shipping costs. They have great starter kits and their house brand stuff is 18% off until June 12 - tomorrow.

Most on here have probably used them. I recently bought some items and shipping was about $6US.

Of course due to cross border, alcohol products cannot be shipped. Maybe with the ground shipping option.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Since making this thread I have made orders from Italian Barber, Fendrihan, Top of the Chain and Maggards. For most things Top of the Chain has the best selection for me, best shipping speed and cost, and Carmine is a great guy to deal with

I have just recently fallen in love with wet shaving (straight razor and double edged razor shaving). I have ordered from a few sites, but found Fendrihan.ca to be an excellent option for buying several products in Canada (to avoid the issue of excess shipping fees and wait times from the American sites). I feel like this is an add for the site (I am not affiliated in any way), but I was surprised that the prices were almost universally cheaper than even those on Amazon). You can use this code, if you like, to get 10% off a purchase over $85 at Fendrihan.ca: Fendrihan Canada - Shaving, Grooming and Men's Gifts .

I had a good experience with West Coast Shaving Company from the USA, but they do charge shipping no matter the size/price of your order and I wasn't able to get the enticing free gift (offered if you spend a certain amount in the USA). The shipping was fairly quick and I didn't have any extra fees charged.

I am about to make a few big orders through Top Of The Chain Top Of The Chain – Wet Shaving & Grooming and can let you know how that goes if you like. Obviously others have posted about these sites as well; I just thought I would start trying to add my two cents and be engaged in this wonderful forum. Wishing you a happy shave!
I just bought some stuff a Top of the chain too. Very reasonable shipping fee = $4.99 for Stirling Glacial Spearmint and a bottle of AS balm. Not sure why I hadn't noticed them before!

Carmine at Top of the Chain is terrific. Located in St. Catharines, Ontario he carries a large variety of manufacturers and his service is top notch.
No need to buy from the States.

Carmine at Top of the Chain is terrific. Located in St. Catharines, Ontario he carries a large variety of manufacturers and his service is top notch.
No need to buy from the States.
I would have to agree with you - I've not bought anything from the States. I did get some SE blades from Connaught shaving that were a better price.

A note for fellow Canadians. I bought a cheap cereal-type bowl at Dollarama to use for whipping up a lather. It has a fairly gritty surface and it works better than my special purpose shave mugs and hammered bowls. They are called Mela-Ware and are $2.00. The abrasive surface makes it easy and proficient for creating a super lather. They are a plastic (melamine) construction and work extremely well.

Top Bottom