What's new

Buying in Canada

Never buy US if they're not shipping USPS, they even have good to the door tracking. I've been stung a few times with USPS shipping but i can't detect a pattern, clothes - yes & no, guitar parts - yes & no, guitars - no... random. The private couriers are robbers.
dave
Yeah the problem with guitar parts are althe good stuff comes from the states. I’ve always been hit hard with duties for my guitar stuff. Oddly enough never for my razors lol.

Guitar parts ordered from the same company, StewMac, big, obvious, company labels on the boxes, some sail through, some get nabbed, beats me.
dave

Stone Field Shaving and Top of the Chain are also based here in Canada, carrying some brands that can be otherwise difficult to find domestically (e.g. MdC).

+1 Great service from both sites, in my experience.

Also . . . ABORT MISSION if your supplier will not use Canada Post, USPS, or Royal Mail. UPS is absolutely TERRIBLE to deal with as a "receiver", to the point I once told them to keep a replica soccer jersey I had ordered because what they wanted to charge me in fees was DOUBLE the $20.00USD I paid for the shirt in the first place. There is a reason that UPS corporate colour is "brown".

Italian Barber is as good as any. I live in the States and order from them occasionally. Decent prices and prompt service.

I also live in the States. While I favor badgers, my favorite synthetic I got from Italian Barber. 2 other synths I bought from US sites were ****e. One was PIF'd and the other is my keyboard duster.

Never buy US if they're not shipping USPS, they even have good to the door tracking. I've been stung a few times with USPS shipping but i can't detect a pattern, clothes - yes & no, guitar parts - yes & no, guitars - no... random. The private couriers are robbers.
dave

My experience as well. I don't have an issue with paying taxes and duties, but the phony "brokerage fees" are outrageous.

I ended up ordering a Razorock and a couple other things I wanted anyway from Italian Barber

dave

This - but, with USPS/Canada Post, the broker fee is $8 or something whereas with the couriers it's A LOT more.

I ordered once from them and no duties. But I get hit when I order pedals.

I rarely get hit when I order parts or pedals (unless the value is large). I have been hit bulk ordering strings with friends (large package, not cheap). I always get hit when ordering instruments, however, the broker fee is small, much smaller than the GST which hurts sometimes.

There's not much rhyme or reason to price differentials on both sides of the border. Some things are radically cheaper in Canada (new cars, health insurance, real estate) and other things are radically more expensive. In Quebec, at least, Jean Foutu carries a bit of wet-shaving gear, and J.A. Moisin in Quebec City has a big selection of Proraso.
New cars and real estate are cheaper in Canada? please let me know where cause in Alberta it isn't.

I live north of Toronto. I just got a couple of synthetic brushes from AP Shave co that I really like. Worth the shipping cost. As well I've bought from Alieexpress - Yaqi is one brand I've gotten. Every once in a while they go on sale. Italian Barber does have some nice brushes too, likely worth the shipping as the quality of the product is excellent from them. Hard not to buy without paying some shipping or just buy enough to get free shipping!

New cars and real estate are cheaper in Canada? please let me know where cause in Alberta it isn't.

I don't know about Alberta, but real estate in NS and PEI is about 1/4th of the price of comparable properties in New England. New Cars are 10-15% cheaper than in the States.

At my place in NS, we have several neighbors who are retired, sold their place in BC, and moved to the other ocean, and tossed 300K in the bank. Another friend did the same, selling her place in Longeuil?? (near Montreal).

I always wanted a cottage by the sea. I couldn't afford a chicken coop in Maine. Seriously. Spent several weeks in the Maritimes, ended up buying a place in NS.
Nova scotia is awesome for well priced property! The cost of my house in alberta could buy me a mansion in texas or a nice place in california

At one time cars made in Ontario and shipped to New York state were selling for less there then they were here where the were made. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not worse now.
dave

At one time cars made in Ontario and shipped to New York state were selling for less there then they were here where the were made. Wouldn't be surprised if it's not worse now.
dave

After taking into account current exchange rates, a new Hyundai Accent is about USD2000 less in Nova Scotia than it is in New York State, while a new Mazda 3 was about $3000 cheaper.

After taking into account current exchange rates, a new Hyundai Accent is about USD2000 less in Nova Scotia than it is in New York State, while a new Mazda 3 was about $3000 cheaper.

Interesting. Does that include provincial and federal sales taxes? IM really surprised if the total is less anywhere in canada

Interesting. Does that include provincial and federal sales taxes? IM really surprised if the total is less anywhere in canada

Yes, although I've never bought a new car in Canada, but I was working with what was "out the door, tax, title, registration," with what seemed to be well-informed, and straightforward people. There is a 2.5% US customs fee to bring one back into the US, should I go that route.

Top Bottom