What's new

Buying first adjustable DE

Thanks to this forum I am now addicted to wet shaving and using my Superspeed. I have been using my current gillette ss for about four months and am looking to get an adjustable razor. I am able to get a nice close shave now but am thinking an adjustable might be a little better. So which one would be a good one for me to start with?

A Gillette Slim or Fat Boy, hands down.

The Fat Boys are more rare but are a little heavier which is why I prefer them. You'll probably have better luck finding a Slim though.

I like my slim & fatboy. It would be hard for me to decide which I prefer. I swap when I change blades.

I've never tried a Slim, but I did just receive a Fatboy which shaves very nicely. It also looks nicer than the Slim, in my humble opinion.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
The Super Adjustable is good too. All three are good. My opinion, get the first one that comes along. They'll all serve you well, and if you don't like it, somebody will be more than happy to take it off your hands, either with enough money to get you another one, or even a straight up trade.

The head on the fatboy/slim is very similar to the superspeed and they're both good. I prefer the weight of the fatboy. If you would consider a modern razor, the merkur progress is also very good.

I like the short handle super adjustable myself. But I also have a regular size super adjustable, short handle super adjustable, slim, and fatboy as well.

I recently acquired a 1976 Super Adjustable Black Beauty long handle and love it. I don't have any experience with any other vintage adjustable. If the Fatboy and slims are that much better, they are fine implements indeed.

I love all of the Gillette adjustables, but be sure to look closely at the guard bar before purchasing. Not sure why, but a lot of them have bent guard bars. It's easy to fix, but easier to avoid altogether.

Top Bottom