What's new

Buying direct from the maker or not?

Do you prefer buying direct from the artisan or through a reseller?

Most resellers, the official at least, sell the artisan products at the same price with their makers, so if you buy from them you don't spend more money on the same product.

If you buy the products direct, the artisan actually gets more money for his own creation. If you buy them through a reseller, both earn money from a transaction and you help both with your support.

I'm of two minds about this.

What do you think? Give more support to the maker or feed more people? The latter sounds better to me, especially in these challenging times, but, on the other hand, I like tο reward creativity more. I'm in a quandary.

I have done both. With limited editions and new releases, it may be that the only way you will grab one is to purchase directly from the artisan. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

I suspect when selling through a stockist, the artisan may only make about 50% of the selling price. However, it also means that the artisan can spend his time making more soap rather than filling orders. Many artisans are producing their soaps in the limited space of their kitchen, basement, workshop or garage; they may have limited space to store inventory. They are often working as individuals, or perhaps with other family members.
The stockists are experts at inventorying products and fulfilling orders. The stockists may also have favorable shipping rates will certain shippers as they ship products every day.

One advantage of ordering directly from the artisan is that it may provide you an opportunity to interact directly with that artisan. Most will respond to emails as time allows.

I have done both. With limited editions and new releases, it may be that the only way you will grab one is to purchase directly from the artisan. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

I suspect when selling through a stockist, the artisan may only make about 50% of the selling price. However, it also means that the artisan can spend his time making more soap rather than filling orders. Many artisans are producing their soaps in the limited space of their kitchen, basement, workshop or garage; they may have limited space to store inventory. They are often working as individuals, or perhaps with other family members.
The stockists are experts at inventorying products and fulfilling orders. The stockists may also have favorable shipping rates will certain shippers as they ship products every day.

One advantage of ordering directly from the artisan is that it may provide you an opportunity to interact directly with that artisan. Most will respond to emails as time allows.
Well said. There are many aspects to think of.

If either the maker or reseller offers the product at a discount I always go with that option. If I'm needing additional stuff (blades, more than one brand, etc) I go with the reseller. About the only time I but direct from the vendor is if I can't find the item anywhere else or if I'm only buying items from that vendor.

Done both, I pull the trigger on the best prize, obviously accounting for shipping, everybody is gonna make money one way or another so I don't really worry how direct or indirect my buy is

I prefer to deal directly with the maker. Although I don't know what cut the middle man takes, I prefer to know the profit goes to the individual or small business and I like the customer service I get when dealing directly with them.

It really depends. If it's an artisanal product (think soaps or aftershaves) I prefer going through the artisan if it's an option. If it's a custom piece or if I have questions, then most definitely through either the artisan's website or (more likely) Etsy store. For blades, I'm 100% reseller. Razors are usually face to face with whoever is behind the counter of the antique store.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I do not purchase 'artisan' products as I generally prefer those which have a long established tradition and history. It would depend on the product - I would buy a Simpson brush from Simpson but it is difficult to buy a Semogue directly from Semogue although I would do so if it were possible. I buy Tabac, MWF, and TOBS from Amazon or wherever is cheapest. I buy vintage Brut or Avon from anywhere I can get it. 👍

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Some items are on their 3rd generation, having corrected the flaws from the first two.

So buying direct from the maker will assure you the newest generation.

If you buy it from a reseller, you MAY get an older model. But then again, did you want that older model?

I like to patronize local stores. I’ll even pay a bit more to do so. It’s the American way.

But like others have said, sometimes circumstances will have me purchase direct from the manufacturer.

Great thread.

I like to patronize local stores. I’ll even pay a bit more to do so. It’s the American way.

Same here. In my town there are 2 small stores (1 Artisan, Esbjerg) that sell shaving supplies and I tend to look to them first before I go shopping in local online stores.

If I can't find what I am looking for there I of course look to bigger sellers. Usually shipping inside the EU is more expensive or on par with importing stuff from the US, which is obviously frustrating.

I try to avoid Amazon for shaving supplies, I've heard they sometimes sell sent back items as "new" and I've had my suspicions about a Proraso product I got from there as well.

I wish Europe had a Maggard like store, with all the available products from Europe. I hate that I have to shop at different sites to get Fitjar, Wickhams, Meißner Tremonia, Phoenix & Beau, etc. Shipping costs that could be spent on actual products. :D So I tend to pass on them. :(

Our artisans (soapmakers. razormakers, brushmakers, etc. ) and our stockists both serve a very valuable role for the shaving community. They provide goods and services to our community that are not readily available through large retail facilities. It still amazes me to see folks perusing the aisles of local retail stores tying to decide which cartridge razor and canned shaving cream to purchase. They do not even realize that there are higher quality alternatives available through traditional wet shaving outlets. If we do not support both our artisans and our distributors, we will lose those alternatives.

I agree with you RayClem. Supporting the distributor also supports the artisan. I would like to keep Maggard's and Italian Barber going as there selection and service is valued.

I agree with you RayClem. Supporting the distributor also supports the artisan. I would like to keep Maggard's and Italian Barber going as there selection and service is valued.

Maggards and Italian Barber are only two of the many vendors out there who deserve our support. I have purchased from both of them as well as a half-dozen others. All have served me well.

I like to go direct wherever possible for the reasons you have stated. Sometimes it works out much cheaper for shipping to go through a third party vendor for bulk purchases or international items and I will do that from time to time too.

Do you prefer buying direct from the artisan or through a reseller?

Most resellers, the official at least, sell the artisan products at the same price with their makers, so if you buy from them you don't spend more money on the same product.

If you buy the products direct, the artisan actually gets more money for his own creation. If you buy them through a reseller, both earn money from a transaction and you help both with your support.

I'm of two minds about this.

What do you think? Give more support to the maker or feed more people? The latter sounds better to me, especially in these challenging times, but, on the other hand, I like tο reward creativity more. I'm in a quandary.

Now that you bring it up, I'm in the same quandary. I have done both and see the positive in both.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like to go direct. Sometimes you get additional benefits. I've been able to try some modifications to some of my razors because the seller knows I'm a shaving enthusiast. That would not happen if I bought through a reseller.

I too say screw Amazon if I can get the same elsewhere, even for a couple bucks more. F Bezos.

Top Bottom