What's new

Buying a razor for your dad?

Hello fine gents of B&B...

Has anyone bought a DE razor for their father before?

Some context-
Dad is 61. My mum died almost 3 years ago. Dad has recently met a ‘friend’ who’s put a massive smile on his face. He’s also talking about about moving closer to the city. So to me, that’s a perfect recipe for a shiny new razor.
He currently uses canned gel and a cartridge which is all I can only ever remember him using.
It’s coming up to Father’s Day here in Australia so I was thinking of buying him a DE setup.

I’m tossing up between a Rockwell 2c or 6c
Astra SP blades
Proraso Pro boar brush
Some form of cream and A/S

So - has anyone done this for their dad before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello fine gents of B&B...

Has anyone bought a DE razor for their father before?

Some context-
Dad is 61. My mum died almost 3 years ago. Dad has recently met a ‘friend’ who’s put a massive smile on his face. He’s also talking about about moving closer to the city. So to me, that’s a perfect recipe for a shiny new razor.
He currently uses canned gel and a cartridge which is all I can only ever remember him using.
It’s coming up to Father’s Day here in Australia so I was thinking of buying him a DE setup.

I’m tossing up between a Rockwell 2c or 6c
Astra SP blades
Proraso Pro boar brush
Some form of cream and A/S

So - has anyone done this for their dad before?

Has he shown interest in using one?, if not ask him because you don't want your gift ending up not being used in a drawer.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

As Clayton mentions, there is always the possibility that he won't use the gift, even if he very much appreciates the sentiment behind it. Be prepared for disappointment in that case.

Otherwise, I would be more tempted to buy a vintage razor from his birth year rather than a modern. A brush and some soap and you will have a kit with a real "traditional" feel.

I might do some digging, but my guess is that like me before this year, he doesn’t know any different.

My son's wife bought him a straight razor shave at a local barber. He really enjoyed it and I asked if he would enjoy a vintage razor with good blades and he said he would. I have a nice 1948-50 Super Speed that I put in an original plastic case with a sleeve of Astra blades. He says he shaves in the shower as I did before coming to B&B. We will see if it take.

On the other hand, my son in law has been using the '56 Red Tip ever since I gave it to him. I just mailed another sleeve of Astra blades.

One thought, perhaps if you were to demonstrate how to best use the items it might spark some interest. I am sure his new "friend" will enjoy the result.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Remember this is just personal experience and so somewhat biased.

I'm a little older than your dad and I find the Rockwell adjustable razors clunky and pretty awkward to use. Putting two base plates together just makes an anvil. They shave okay but just look and feel like an afterthought.

On the other hand, a Gillette Super Speed or clone (Weishi 9306; Bali, Parker) might be easier as an introduction to safety razors and have a shorter learning curve.

I’d love to grab a game changer for him, but shipping along from the USA to AUS is almost as much as the razor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
My father is 81 and has not used a DE in I reckon 35 + years. I am 53 and dad gave me all the DE's and an SE razor that he owned when I left home in 1983. On his birthdays and Fathers Days I have been giving him soaps, creams, the odd brush and aftershave balms as he still wet shaves but with carts now. He has been on blood thinners for years and maybe for this reason he will not use a DE. It is a tough call, I want to show my parents the razors that I have amassed since RAD kicked in hoping that one might take his fancy just enough to have a go again. I am sure that you will make the right call when you have all the information after you have done your digging. Good luck.

As Clayton mentions, there is always the possibility that he won't use the gift, even if he very much appreciates the sentiment behind it. Be prepared for disappointment in that case.

Otherwise, I would be more tempted to buy a vintage razor from his birth year rather than a modern. A brush and some soap and you will have a kit with a real "traditional" feel.

+1 on the vintage birth year razor, or from around the time he started shaving. My dad is pretty close in age to yours and I gave him a Fatboy he loves about 10 years ago.

Remember this is just personal experience and so somewhat biased.

I'm a little older than your dad and I find the Rockwell adjustable razors clunky and pretty awkward to use. Putting two base plates together just makes an anvil. They shave okay but just look and feel like an afterthought.

On the other hand, a Gillette Super Speed or clone (Weishi 9306; Bali, Parker) might be easier as an introduction to safety razors and have a shorter learning curve.

Another would be a Merkur 34C which is a solid razor that is straightforward to use and provides great shaves IMO.

Another would be a Merkur 34C which is a solid razor that is straightforward to use and provides great shaves IMO.
Another couple of options would be a nice vintage Trac-II, or an injector razor if your dad doesn't want to try a DE.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Yeah. About a year ago, I gave my dad a Parker 99r TTO. He used to shave with a DE but switched to disposable cartridge razors for a long time. He really likes the Parker now.

Still had not interest in creams/brushes so just uses ole Barbasol or a gel. Works well for him. If your father is reluctant it might be because of the brush and reluctance to spend “more” time shaving. At least that was my experience with my Father. However it was pretty easy to sell him back on DEs because of the blade prices. I told him I spent only $11 on 100 blades (Astra SPs) and he was set for probably two years.

I did give him some Nivea balm but he doesn’t use it. I may try witch hazel later. Good luck! It’s cool you want to hook your Dad up. [emoji106]

Great options given, so all I am gonna add is congrats on thinking/caring for you dad and is nice to want to see him happy after his/your lose, people dont love like that anymore, well, some do but is a rare sight nowadays.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Why not a vintage Gillette? A Fatboy, SS or Tech Ball End would probably be greatly appreciated.

I gave my dad a razor made during my birth year. As I'm a year older than your dad, I can tell you that there are plenty of Gillette Super Speeds (Red, Blue or Silver tips) out there that were made during his birth year.

If you could find a razor from your own birth year, he might like that better. My dad was astounded that the Red Tip I gave him was literally manufactured in 1956. He doesn't use it much, as he's a Harry's guy, and finds the Red Tip too aggressive for him. But he loves showcasing the razor on his counter. As he says, "I remember the year that razor was born, just like you!"

I will be 61 in a few months and my wife died 15 months ago so I have some demographic similarities to your dad. Everyone has different preferences but these are the razors I own and use regularly:
- Gillette 1959 (E4) Fatboy
- Gillette 1957 (C4) Flair Tip Superspeed (birth quarter)
- Gillette 1957 (C1) Ball End Tech (birth year)
- Gillette NEW SC
- Gillette NEW LC
- Gillette Goodwill #164
- Gillette Old Type (nickel replated)
- ATT Atlas M1

The Vintage razors are listed from newest to oldest.

Birth year and birth quarter razors are special because of when they were made. If he has not used a DE razor in quite some time using too much pressure and not finding the right angle with some of the older razors might cause some nicks or worse.

If I had to pick just one razor to start back with, it would be a birth quarter or birth year Flair Tip Superspeed. That being said, the last three razors on the list are my most frequently used.

Because you will be purchasing it for him, any razor should be special. Good luck to you.

I suggest you hold off on a razor. Get him a nice synthetic brush and a puck of good soap and a container or mug for same. Let him get used to lathering up. If that takes, then get him a razor.

Fathers are so different. Mine would never ever use any DE. Try to bring up a discussion about safety razors to see if he is at all interested to try one.

Ive thought about doing this for my father, buying him his birth year razor and some blades but mine would probably think it was silly and never use it. My father is pretty cheap and always used those cheap-o pink Daisy razors. If he had any interest in a DE, he probably would already have one. Everyone is different though. Id find his birth year razor and put together a little kit for him. He may like it, he may not. I think the thought is really more important than whether or not he actually uses it.

I suggest you hold off on a razor. Get him a nice synthetic brush and a puck of good soap and a container or mug for same. Let him get used to lathering up. If that takes, then get him a razor.
+1

timah083,

Keep it simple. A brush, soap, and mug are a great introduction to wet shaving. I don't what your dad uses now, but though canned foam is tolerable it is not wet shaving.

If you think he might like a razor then see what he's using now and get him a fancy version of the handle. I think someone mentioned there is a $90 USD Mach3 handle on the Art of Shaving web site. There are many options if this is the route you go.

If you have your heart set on also getting a DE razor then get something safe to use for beginners. The Game Changer is OK but very difficult to find one to purchase. The Merkur 34C just plain works and is available everywhere. I believe there is also a "gold" version called the 34G.

Thanks for thinking of your dad.

Top Bottom