What's new

Buying a loose boar knot

Hello all,

I just ordered a custom handle from prometheus handcrafts and i want to put a boar knot in it. I have little experience with boar knots so im looking for some help.

I have a proraso brush with a boar and i like it, but i think this handle deserves the best knot i can find.

Right now im thinking to buy a SOC and use that knot. But it will be much easier to buy a loose knot. I know uomo sells one, whipped dog and turn and shave sell them to.

So what do you guys think is the best option?

Jurre

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_163550_023.jpg
    IMG_20210808_163550_023.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210808_163546_694.jpg
    IMG_20210808_163546_694.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210808_163543_564.jpg
    IMG_20210808_163543_564.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210808_163540_128.jpg
    IMG_20210808_163540_128.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 17
Turn n Shave sells a shoat knot that's a boar. I have it and it's a great. A little more flat top than fan, a little more fan that flat top. I got it in the half-gel which meant it was broken in quickly. Good luck finding one that works and please share what you end up getting!

I'm currently looking at doing the same thing with a few boar knots. The best boar I've ever had is the Omega Premium Jade. That one is perfect in that handle so I'm keeping that, as-is. But my next two favorite boars are the Zenith Unbleached boar in the cheap plastic handle & the Proraso Pro mentioned by the OP. The Zenith & Proraso will be fairly easy (from what I've read) to remove the knots & set in a new handle. I'm looking at getting two of each of the brushes & setting 5mm deeper & 10mm deeper than the original brushes, as I consider the originals to be higher-lofted than I care for. I'm going to try & test various shorter lofts by using large o-rings at the base of the original brushes. I know that won't be exact, but I'll at least have an idea if I need to order handles drilled an extra 4mm, 8mm, or 15mm. FWIW, the SOC is about the 4th or 5th best boar knot, IMHO.

Whatever you decide to use, I suggest setting the knot with silicone until you know what loft you like it set at.

Last edited:
I thought the soc is the best boar knot there is? If not, what would be the best in your opinion?
I'm afraid the other poster was stating his his opinion as if it were a fact.

I definitely consider the SOC knot as superior, myself. It's a favorite among many, because it has some good attributes that match well with what a lot of people want.

The proraso brush that the other guy spoke of is also enjoyed by shavers as well.

It's all about what attributes you like in a brush. There is no "best", but there is "best for you".

I don't like scritch and I don't like a lot of backbone. And so my favorite brushes are going to be very different than someone who does.

(Sent from mobile)

I would go an Omega brush and remove the knot. It's pretty easy, that being said Im not sure on how easy it is to remove the Semogue knots. If it's no harder than I think it's much of a much. I prefer the Omega because it's made in Italy. If I could remove a Zenith knot as easily then I would definitely say Zenith.

I know It may be a dumb question but...... So How do you or what do you use to Glue them into the handle?
Some people use epoxy and it's very permanent.

But I greatly prefer silicone because it's nigh- permanent but still allows you, if needed, to pull the knot and change the loft or switch it to another handle without destroying things.

(Sent from mobile)

Some people use epoxy and it's very permanent.

But I greatly prefer silicone because it's nigh- permanent but still allows you, if needed, to pull the knot and change the loft or switch it to another handle without destroying things.

(Sent from mobile)
This seems to be the consensus.

I am a complete dumb dumb when it comes to most things involving refinishing, glueing, etc. and I have had fantastic results re-knotting brushes using two part epoxy or marine silicone. You don’t need to be a rocket surgeon. 🤪 Seriously, super easy stuff.

Boar brushes are divided by backbone, scrub and scritch level in my system. This is my verdict for my two main boar brushes :

Proraso boar = high backbone / medium scrub /minimal scritch
Mondial boar brush = medium backbone / minimal scrub / no scritch.

Hope that helps someone.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I buy Omega brushes and harvest their knots, this would be one option for you.
The knots with their black sleeve/cup pop out easily. However, you are set then on the original loft.
Removing the cup and you set the knot at a lower loft.

Top Bottom