What's new

Buying a fancy new brush help

Which brush to buy

• Simpson Chubby 1

• Savile Row 3326

• Custom Hand Made Wood handle brush by Thomas Anthony Co.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am planning to buy a new brush. Budget of around $140 or so. I was looking at 3 possiblities of Simpson Chubby 1 silver tip, Savile Row 3326, or Custom made wood handle BUT I have not got a quote back on this yet so not sure how it will fit in the budget. Personally I love the hand made wood handles. I was going to use Thomas Anthony Co for the job. All brushes should have Silver Tip. Knot size around 24 - 26mm.

Now I guess the question is with those options which would you pick?
Simpson Chubby 1
Savile Row 3326
Custom Hand Made Silver Tip - again I am partial to the wood handle and loving the look of it.

I have never used any one of these products so I have no way to compare.

I like the Savile Rows. They are however, a little too soft for my taste. I prefer the dense chubby 1 in Super that I have--a bit prickly (I like prickly!) If you want a dense soft brush that is not too soft, I'd say go with the Chubby 1 in Best. Randy is right as well though, you can't go wrong with a Savile Row either. My vote would be to go with the Simpson Chubby over the Savile Row though.

:thumbup: I received a SR 3324 about two weeks ago for my birthday. This is my first high-end brush and it is fantastic. It whips up both hard soaps and creams with ease. Nice soft tips, but not too floppy. Great balance and the handle shape is very comfortable. IMHO:biggrin:

I own a Savile Row SR-231, and am going to order a brush from SuperiorBrush (http://superiorbrushes.com/ ) with a 20mm knot, Best Badger and with this handle design:
proxy.php

and in their Lagoon Blue color (goes with my Cobalt-blue Moss Scuttle):
proxy.php

If the ones you've listed are the only choices, I'd go with the Savile-Row.

C'yas!
~Tim :cool:

I've just placed my first order with the Thomas Anthony Co. and from a customer service perspecive alone I would recommend them. I shall have to wait and see with regards to the brush itself, but I have never seen a bad comment about them so I do't think that will be a problem.

Leesrazors has the Chubby 2 on sale for almost your budget. You may want to consider this great brush.

Austin said:
Leesrazors has the Chubby 2 on sale for almost your budget. You may want to consider this great brush.
Is it as priceworthy as The Gentleman's Shop? When I responded to Lee's Overstock Sale on a Duke, it was several dollars (almost $10) more expensive.
Anyway, as I weigh value more highly, I voted for the SR brush this time.

chefchris said:
:thumbup: I received a SR 3324 about two weeks ago for my birthday. This is my first high-end brush and it is fantastic. It whips up both hard soaps and creams with ease. Nice soft tips, but not too floppy. Great balance and the handle shape is very comfortable. IMHO:biggrin:

SR got my vote. chefchris really loves his.

Sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night, I find him cuddling with the shaving brush. :lol:

I'm with you, Scotto. Not only are SR silvertips a better deal in terms of quality / price ratio, they also work better.

By the way, what's up with this frequently mentioned notion of "negotiating" a price with Lee? Am I the only one mildly uncomfortable with this? Why wouldn't he simply post his fantastic prices on his website for all to see? When I bought my first Simpson, I was not aware you had "work a deal" with Lee in order to get a good price. Comparison shopping made me bypass him immediately, as his posted prices were higher than anyone else's. How many other sales does he lose the same way? Or, how many suckers just pay the higher price? In any event, I don't get it.

John

Lee has this particular way of working. I personally don't care for it, but he is entitled to run his business as he pleases. I am guessing he is trying not to perturb his suppliers with his low margins.

Scotto,

That would be a plausible reason. But Emily's prices are almost as low. Anyway, yes, Lee may certainly run his business as he sees fit.

John

Sounds like you can't go wrong with the SR brush. I can give some credit to Lee that he does give good customer service. Fast email responses.

Top Bottom