What's new

Buying a double edge for my husband

Hi!!

Last time you've been so helpful in helping to choose a brush & soap as a gift to my husband, I'm back for the razor!

BTW, my husband love his gift and haven't been back to canned foam since then. :thumbup1:

So, I thought about a double edge. Why those exactly? I don't know. They look cool? :blushing:

Anyway, there's tons of different models, brands, etc, I have no clue which one I should get. My husband does have a very, very sensitive skin. In fact, he still have acne even if he's past 35. A bad razor makes it waaaaay worst. The brush help a little. Right now he's using a Gilette thingy. I don't know if it's normal (I don't shave my beard very often! :lol:) but going more than once (or twice?)in any area of the face multiply the ingrained hairs and pimples. My husband routine is to shave every 2-3 days, right after the shower. More than that and pimples are back with a vengeance.

Edit: I will also buy a blade sample pack.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
is he using a cartridge now?
you may want to look around for a gillette slim, or any adjustable. slims will sell here on the BST for around $20
but that isnt really the issue. the issue will be what blades to use. im sure he will need to try several before he finds one he likes.
shaving can be a very personal and temperamental thing. sometimes certain blades or soaps just dont agree with you.

Hi!!

So, I thought about a double edge. Why those exactly? I don't know. They look cool? :blushing:

Anyway, there's tons of different models, brands, etc, I have no clue which one I should get. My husband does have a very, very sensitive skin.

The double edge razors do look cool, but they work and have a ton of blades to choose from too. Personally I've had a great run with my superspeed (both black handles and 50's styles). My favorite combo is the superspeed and shark blades. If you don't want to go vintage for a gift, then I don't know. I've only tried the Weishi as a modern razor and wasn't impressed with the quality at all.

are you looking for something vintage, or something new ? if new i would say either a merkur 34c, or a edwin jagger EJ89, they are both good quality and friendly to new shavers, as well as loved by experienced ones, if you are looking for vintage then a simple gillette tech model may work well

What a lucky husband you have!

I'd recommend something mild and particularly attractive so it'll help him to stick with it until he sees a reduction in razor burn and ingrown hairs.

Depending on your budget, I'd suggest a Gillette Fat-handled tech at the lower end, up to a Mühle R89 at the high end. Don't think badly of the tech because it's cheap - it's a fantastic shaver.

for a NEW razor, i'd get an Edwin Jagger DE89 just like everyone else is saying...it's fantastic, mild, forgiving, easy to use, beautiful, etc etc. for a vintage, i'd recommend a Flaretip Super Speed - great mild shaver. as for blades, Astra SP are highly recommended, but a sampler pack of a few brands would be best.

I agree with the EJ 89 or possible the Merkur 23c the long handle of the Merkur helps ween off of cartridge handles.

I may be the only one who recommends this but I think the Merkur 1904 is a hell of a good starter razor. Even the open comb model is mild and at least with the comb you can see if you are screwing up the angle bc you would either smear cream or leave comb tracks if it is off.

Have you thought of getting him a birth year razor? You can get an old Gillette SS or adjustable in his birth year (I'm guessing he's born in the mid 70's), if you so choose.. may make the gift a bit more meaningful. Between the people in the community here, you can probably find a razor from the year and quarter he was born and, not that this wonderful group of ladies and gentlemen need policing, the community's behavioral norm is honesty, integrity, and respect, so you can feel sure that you're getting exactly what you want versus taking a risk with eBay.

All of the suggestions above are wonderful as well.. introducing him to this site would be a great gift, of course, but this may be too much of a sacrifice on your part :wink2:

Best of luck!
-\Visdom

Another good choice for a vintage razor is the Schick Krona. The Krona doesn't get a lot of love from the collectors, so they're always inexpensive. And the shave is hard to beat. Mild and close.

I'll echo what a lot of others have said. For a new razor, the Edwin Jagger DE89 is just about perfect for a beginning DE shaver (and even many experienced shavers!). For a vintage razor, a nice Gillette Super Speed or Tech will give excellent, mild shaves, is reasonably priced, and is readily available.

Good luck on your search. If possible, ask your husband to stop by here and chat a bit. We have huge amounts of information available to help the new DE shaver in his/her journey to shaving bliss and we love to share it.

Get him a Slim, and here's why.

A new razor will mean nothing to someone who doesn't know Edwin Jagger from Mick Jagger.

But he does know Gillette. So, he will be predisposed to the idea of using a Gillette-branded DE.

But why a Slim vs. a Superspeed or a non-adjustable? Because the Slim (or Fatboy, or black-handled adjustable) IS adjustable. Men love anything that looks like it's more 'gadgetized' than it is, and a Slim is the ultimate non-electric shaving 'gadget.' Plus, it will allow him to adjust the shave to his liking.

If you do get one, do try to find one that has a case and is in good condition as possible. One with a lot of brassing or that needs a good cleanup will be far more appealing to him and get over the potential 'ick' factor of using a 'used' razor (although it you sterilize it well and it looks pristine, this shouldn't be an issue).

The good thing about getting a Slim is that if he really doesn't like it (or DE shaving, you'll be able to sell it for exactly what you paid for it--or more, possibly).

As for blades, you could get a sampler pack from somone, but (I'm just speaking for myself), it might be kind of nice if people here son B&B ent a couple blades from their own stocks to you to give to him as a 'present' from his soon-to-be B&B enablers. I'd certainly be willing to send you a couple blades from my own stash.

Edwin Jagger DE89 series, it comes in DE89 which is a smooth chrome handle, DE89L, which has a lined handle with a little more grip, and the DE89 barkelely I believe its called, with an even nicer handle. They all have the same style head.

Just pick up a few packs of Crystals, personnas, feathers, astras, youll be fine, no need to pay $20 for a sampler kit. Trust me. ;)

Royal shave is my preferred vendor use code BANDB and get 10% off your order too.

I agree with the posters suggesting a EJ DE89. My other suggestion would be a Merkur 34c. Both are very mild forgiving razors and are not only perfect to learn with but for life. The bonus: He will notice a clearer complexion within a few short weeks after going to a DE razor along with a better shave.

A Gillette FatHandled Tech is my first recommendation. You can get one in great condition for $10-20.
Edwin Jagger DE89 next in the $35-40. (I have the lined version) slightly less gentle then the Tech, but a beautiful gift. (New product)

I have to say the Gillette Slim Adjustable is a great option as well for the reason stated above. $20-30.

I would also add Leisureguy's book to the package if you have not already picked it up for him. He addresses so much.

1st choice would be a slim (because he can adjust it to his liking) 2nd the DE89. And run away from the super sharp blades like Feathers until he gets comfy with the razor.

Hi!!

Last time you've been so helpful in helping to choose a brush & soap as a gift to my husband, I'm back for the razor!

BTW, my husband love his gift and haven't been back to canned foam since then. :thumbup1:

Anyway, there's tons of different models, brands, etc, I have no clue which one I should get. My husband does have a very, very sensitive skin. In fact, he still have acne even if he's past 35. A bad razor makes it waaaaay worst. The brush help a little. Right now he's using a Gilette thingy. I don't know if it's normal (I don't shave my beard very often! :lol:) but going more than once (or twice?)in any area of the face multiply the ingrained hairs and pimples. My husband routine is to shave every 2-3 days, right after the shower. More than that and pimples are back with a vengeance.

Edit: I will also buy a blade sample pack.

Thank you for your help!

Several people have mentioned either a Slim Adjustable or a Tech and either are sound choices,though I'd lean more towards the Slim since it is adjustable.
With that said make sure to point him in the direction of the shavewiki here at B&B as well as Mantic59's youtube channel before he loads up a DE and goes to town as DE shaving is a whole different (different not more difficult)skill set than shaving with a cartridge razor so you might want to get him working on minimizing those cartridge "bad habits" before handing him a DE razor.

Top Bottom