What's new

Buyer's Guide for PPI Blades?

Silly question, but I couldn't figure this out by searching the forums: Has anyone assembled a buyer's guide of the pros and cons of the various St. Petersburg blade brands and types made at the PPI factory? I have used Astra SS, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless blades, but the biggest difference that I notice between them is price. Some are smoother, some are sharper, some last longer, etc., but all more or less work well for me, so I go for whatever is for sale at the time.

same here. I feel Very little difference between Nacets, GSBs, Permasharps, Gillette Platinums and Astra. I mean, they all work well for me

Silly question, but I couldn't figure this out by searching the forums: Has anyone assembled a buyer's guide of the pros and cons of the various St. Petersburg blade brands and types made at the PPI factory? I have used Astra SS, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, and Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless blades, but the biggest difference that I notice between them is price. Some are smoother, some are sharper, some last longer, etc., but all more or less work well for me, so I go for whatever is for sale at the time.

I don't think I've ever tried a PPI blade that wasn't superb. I would be hard pressed to tell many of them apart. Most run circles around the other factory/brands that I've tried (Feather being a notable exception).

I think this is in total YMMV/subjectivity territory so you can only go by anecdotal experiences.
For instance:
I like Astra SS but am not fond of the SP - compared to other PPI blades they last only 2-3 shaves
My goto blade is the Perma-Sharp which lasts at least 6 shaves and is in a bunch of offerings (GSB, both Platinums, Minora Platinum) that feel quite similar.
My outliers are Nacets - feel way sharper/bitey than the others and Wizamet Iridium Super that just last and last and last. Frankly up until now I never had the patience to use them so long that they start to tug (>10?).

Get a sampler and try as much as you can to see what is the most fitting for you.

YMMV for sure! That’s what makes blades so much fun!

For me the PPI blades all range from good-to-great! So far, I have not found one I dislike!

That said, my favorites are GSB, Nacet and Astra SP. But must say that I have been enjoying the PPI Astra SS during the current ‘Vintage vs. Modern Challenge PIF!’ :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't think you can go wrong with any blade from PPI. I would agree with BigJ, that the blades fall from good to great. I also liked Minoras, Sputniks, Rubies, Astra SS but I like SP better, and Yellows with Nacet as my favorite.

What's the point of making a guide with pros and cons of all the PPI blades? Or any factory blades. It is all so subjective. You think a particular model/brand is great, for me they are rubbish etc. Try them, experience them and decide. Besides, PPI discontinues and starts new brands and models every 2-3 years.

Top Bottom