What's new

Buy now, or wait?

I've been looking to buy some items, particularly from overseas vendors, but I keep feeling like there could be better deals in the months ahead, due to many vendors needing the sales (which leads to price markdowns) and also due to currency fluctuation due to potential market volatility due to everything going on now. When I placed an order from Connaught a month ago I couldn't help but notice that had I simply placed the order a week sooner I would have saved about 10%.

I'm not really in a rush to buy stuff, so I can afford to wait if deals are on the horizon

Is anyone else waiting to buy stuff? Do you think it will be worth it to wait until later this year? Or not really?

Each person makes their own choice but if you can afford it I would encourage you to buy now to help the businesses keep going.
If they don’t get enough sales now they may not be in business in the coming months

Totally understand, I am a businessowner too, but it is still a marketplace and as a consumer I still have to watch my spending too in this economy since no one knows how long hard times could last or how deep it could get. If I'm not careful I might not have much to spend later on. So it works both ways... everybody needs sales and everybody needs to conserve cash, and we all meet in the middle somewhere

If you can predict the currency markets a couple months in advance, kindly share the details.

In any event, yes, peeps gotta do what they gotta do. I feel lucky insofar as I don't spend enough (as a consumer of shaving goods, at least) these days to make a small percentage move impactful on my wallet.

If you can predict the currency markets a couple months in advance, kindly share the details.

In any event, yes, peeps gotta do what they gotta do. I feel lucky insofar as I don't spend enough (as a consumer of shaving goods, at least) these days to make a small percentage move impactful on my wallet.

I most certainly can't predict currency, lol, I just wanted to know if anyone else is getting a similar vibe like maybe good deals are around the corner or maybe somebody knows if discounts are common in this industry? I don't know, is the shaving supplies market economically sensitive? For all i know, maybe their sales are up right now if people are spending more time indoors

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
May be just how I justify spending money, but since the lockdown started I’ve spent more money than before on hobbies, all of which has gone to small and independent businesses here (as local as I can help it). I’ve not price checked in ages, absorbed the odd pound or two on an item if it’s not that much more expensive than Amazon, for instance.

I’m lucky enough to be able to keep doing this, and feel slightly responsible for helping small and independent businesses survive the lockdown. If we don’t support them now, they might not be there when the crisis passes.

Or, you could call me out on my spending habits and stop wasting money on silly things so I can afford that Wolfman.

May be just how I justify spending money, but since the lockdown started I’ve spent more money than before on hobbies, all of which has gone to small and independent businesses here (as local as I can help it). I’ve not price checked in ages, absorbed the odd pound or two on an item if it’s not that much more expensive than Amazon, for instance.

I’m lucky enough to be able to keep doing this, and feel slightly responsible for helping small and independent businesses survive the lockdown. If we don’t support them now, they might not be there when the crisis passes.

Or, you could call me out on my spending habits and stop wasting money on silly things so I can afford that Wolfman.

Hey, stop wasting money on silly things so that you can finally afford that Wolfman!:biggrin1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm waiting. Waiting till I need more stuff.

I've made two frivolous shaving purchases this year. Some vintage blades, to try again the blades I learned to shave with on an older beard, and some Jagger and Merkur spares that I didn't immediately need. That said, I used one of the Jagger spares soon after.

While I hope that businesses get through this hardship, if any products fall by the wayside, there'll be others to use instead. I'm not overly concerned about being able to get shaving stuff at a decent price. The market will sort itself out quick enough.

I always shop around. Right now I’m finding good deals coming out of Spain. I am happy to spend there as it is helping someone’s economy. And if the value is there it’s helping me save more than I would otherwise.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I see great offers now from vendors struggling to stay afloat. If you wait, they may be gone forever.

I can understand that, if it's a product that you already use. For example, I bought a Merkur 41C at a good price so I would have a spare head for my Merkur 985, should the Dovo group not negotiate their way through their financial difficulties. I also picked up a few extra sticks of Palmolive before the UK distribution ceased.

For products that I wasn't already using, or didn't already plan to get in the near future, I'm happy to let them go. New products, and the resulting jobs, will emerge once the situation normalises again. I think buying something that you wouldn't otherwise have bought, purely because it might not be available in future, is... odd, to say the least.

I don't wait for deals, which seem to be mostly on products they are trying to get rid of. Expect shipping delays. I got my Canada order in 5 days, but blades from Germany, expected in 6-10 days, took over a month.

I find lots of packages are not just getting delayed but miss sorted to the wrong location which creates a significant delay.

If everybody is waiting long enough prices will go up because the company is bankrupt and it is now a rare collectable.

And some stuff will go up because you need stuff to make stuff

Top Bottom