What's new

Buy another cheap razor or wait to buy something good?

Well, everyone else has chimed in, so here's my take on your dilemma. I agree with the "go vintage" train of thought, but not necessarily a vintage Gillette. I'd spend a little money and try (be patient) to find a vintage Leresche open comb, easily superior to any Gillette non-adjustable that I've ever shaved with.

Or, you can go on the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements site and check out their new production of razors based on vintage classics. The PAA Prismatic is an homage to the Leresche-made Kirby Beard razor and is hands down the best razor you can buy for under 30 bucks, and better than most that cost more. If you're one of those guys who insist on stainless steel, they have the same model in SS called the Meta4 - get it, metaphor, for around $70. They should stick to making the things and let someone else name them, but I digress.

The PAA Double Open Comb series is also very good and very inexpensive. You can adjust the aggression by varying the handle tension - tighten it down and then back it off a bit. They sell an Ascension DOC in several finishes that claim this adjustability, but I have the original (nickel plated, under $35 bucks) and this trick works with that one too.

Then, after you load up on these homage razors, you'll wait a few months (if that) and it'll be off to some other bright shiny shaving object. That's RAD.
Yeah, that's RAD. It's interesting you brought up vintage OC razors because (since I have the RR SLOC and really like it) my attention has turned to OC razors lately. I went to the PAA site. I didn't know about remakes of vintage razors (except for the Gillette one). And I looked at the Leresche razors on eBay. Pretty pricey. Thanks for all the info. (And yeah, Meta4 is pretty bad.)

I have this Yaqi Matte Black DE razor. It was my 3rd (I now have 30+) and I can tell you it is a very good but cheap razor without any alignment issues. This razor is just slightly more aggressive than the EJ89. During my initial use, I thought holy cow aggressive with lots of blade feel....but after awhile...no issues and it can give me a very good efficient shave similar to some of my higher priced razors. I have the CG.84-P and Karve Brass SB-D too and they're great as well and I am satisfied with DE razors for now😀
Oh great, you've got me wondering about it again now! :wink2:

This is one of those rare hobbies where inexpensive may still be exceptionally good. Focus on the attributes of the razor you want and then decide if the razor that best meets them is a "pull the trigger now" purchase or one that requires some saving.
Good advice. Thanks.

Edwin jagger is a very reasonably priced razor, and good. How I have ATT with 3 plates, and this brand is quality.
I don't see the point in buying a razor which seems to have a reputation for alignment issues. Your face will need constant surgery. Lol.
Thanks

I am a member of the Lupo 95 is smoother (less irritating) than the 72 club. I started with the 72 as I'm a daily shaver and figured that would be best. After several shaves and irritated skin I decided the 72 was nor for me. I read a few posts where folks were mentioning liking the 95 better than the 72 so I decided to buy the 95 base. Well, low and behold, the 95 is perfect. Smooth and efficient without irritation. I still don't completely understand why, but my face likes the 95 better and I can still use it daily with no issues.

The Lupo 95 rivals some of my more expensive razors (Blackbird, Timeless, ATT, Tatara). I believe the Lupo is a no brainer if you're looking for a stainless razor under $100.
Thanks. I'm very very tempted to grab the Lupo 95 but I'm wondering if it's too strong for me. I cut very easily. Plus so many people have said the GC 68P is so smooth and a great daily driver and I do have to shave every day. And now my eyes are opening to open comb razors. So I guess iow I'm pretty clueless right now.

Doubt the beast is more comfortable. It is definitely more efficient though. You will learn if you stay in this site long enough that there is a difference between aggressive feeling and aggressive acting

The beast feels scary at first but it's actually quite gentle plus I can shave with it every day

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Hopefully you're right. I just looked at the reviews on Aliexpress and one said: "Like taking a lawnmower to your face." lol

Other folks can only provide their opinion on razors that work for them. What works great for one face/skin/beard may not work at all for your face/skin/beard.

The only way to answer your question is to buy the razor, shave with it for a couple of weeks, use a variety of blades and arrive at your own conclusion regarding what works for you.

There are plenty of folks here who will buy the razors that don't work for you. ;)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Thanks. But I'm not so sure BST will work with razors that sell for $12 new. IOW with shipping costs etc.

Maybe I can collect all my crappy razors and sell them as a bundle!

I completely agree with this post. Mine is chrome and has no alignment issues. I was even using kai blades which makes it more aggressive.The sloc you have is a better razor But none of this matters if you're not going to get one now. I'm currently using a game changer 680C myself.
Good to know. Thanks.

Thanks. I'm very very tempted to grab the Lupo 95 but I'm wondering if it's too strong for me. I cut very easily. Plus so many people have said the GC 68P is so smooth and a great daily driver and I do have to shave every day. And now my eyes are opening to open comb razors. So I guess iow I'm pretty clueless right now.

I understand. I'm a daily shaver with what I consider an average beard and normal skin. I can use the Lupo 95 daily much easier than the 72. I don't fully understand why, but the 95 is less irritating and smoother.

If you're looking for a great daily shaver that is easy on the skin, I recommend looking at the Henson line of razors. They don't look like much, but their performance is off the charts. The Ti22 is one of my top performers...super comfortable and very efficient.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. But I'm not so sure BST will work with razors that sell for $12 new. IOW with shipping costs etc.

Maybe I can collect all my crappy razors and sell them as a bundle!

My suggestion: Instead of buying another cheap razor, wait and buy a good razor. Shave with it for a couple of weeks. If it suits you, great. If not, sell it and try another good razor. It's a good way to build your personal experience with a number of good razors.

I understand. I'm a daily shaver with what I consider an average beard and normal skin. I can use the Lupo 95 daily much easier than the 72. I don't fully understand why, but the 95 is less irritating and smoother.

If you're looking for a great daily shaver that is easy on the skin, I recommend looking at the Henson line of razors. They don't look like much, but their performance is off the charts. The Ti22 is one of my top performers...super comfortable and very efficient.
Thanks dawg. I kick myself for not picking up one of the lesser Hensons when they were only $50.

That's really one of the more honest answers I've ever heard in a forum--you don't fully understand why the 95 is less irritating and smoother. Thanks for your honesty. It's refreshing. (Not that anyone else is lying. Well, you know what I mean.)

My suggestion: Instead of buying another cheap razor, wait and buy a good razor. Shave with it for a couple of weeks. If it suits you, great. If not, sell it and try another good razor. It's a good way to build your personal experience with a number of good razors.

That's a really good suggestion. Hmm. I have such a hard time buying the cheapies though! But yeah, thank for the reminder about BST and not liking a razor not being a total loss. Appreciate it.

My thoughts are this,if your like me and start too want every razor you hear about then it doesn't matter. I have a few expenses razors that are beautiful tools and heirloom quality. It's nice to have those to pass on or have in collection. If you just want a great shave then take suggestions and get what you can afford. Inexpensive is good, cheap not so good. Good technique , soap or cream and a blade that works for you in my opinion is more important then the razor . Lol not sure if that was of any help but enjoy your shaves😀

I prefer vintage razors, won one on eBay again yesterday. The person himself must decide what to use. It is enough to compare a few modern razors and a few vintage ones. Personally, after trying Gillette Old Type, I realized that I didn't need anything else. After that, sometimes there were experiments, but they were not crowned with success. To do this, I always go back to the Empire style Gillette Old Type and its variants from other manufacturers of those years.

My thoughts are this,if your like me and start too want every razor you hear about then it doesn't matter. I have a few expenses razors that are beautiful tools and heirloom quality. It's nice to have those to pass on or have in collection. If you just want a great shave then take suggestions and get what you can afford. Inexpensive is good, cheap not so good. Good technique , soap or cream and a blade that works for you in my opinion is more important then the razor . Lol not sure if that was of any help but enjoy your shaves😀
Yeah, yeah, that helped thanks. All my razors work well with good lather, technique and if I take my time.

I prefer vintage razors, won one on eBay again yesterday. The person himself must decide what to use. It is enough to compare a few modern razors and a few vintage ones. Personally, after trying Gillette Old Type, I realized that I didn't need anything else. After that, sometimes there were experiments, but they were not crowned with success. To do this, I always go back to the Empire style Gillette Old Type and its variants from other manufacturers of those years.
Thanks. Maybe some day I'll get into vintage. Right now I just don't know enough about it.

Top Bottom