What's new

Buy a great condition Slim or good Slim and revamp it?

Looking to add another Slim to my collection. I have a 1963 Slim from my Grandpa that I'm looking to give to my son. So want another Slim to replace it.

Should i go with a Great Condition Slim via BST or eBay, or pick one up for less money and send it out to revamp it?

What's the pro's and con's of revamping?

I'm assuming the pricing is going to be close i.e. +/- $20

Dennis

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would guess that the cost of revamping a user grade Slim would well exceed the cost of a very nice original example especially if a replate is involved. Also, generally I think a replate is less desirable than an example with original plating. For me personally, unless a razor is worn to the point of being unusable, a replate actually devalues a razor as it removes all trace of character and interest. I would look for a nice example on the BST. Good luck. 👍

It doesn’t pay to restore a razor unless you have sentimental value in it. Get the nicest original your patience and pocketbook will allow, to own something you can enjoy.

Fortunately, vintage Slims are still out there. I suggest pick up a few while they're around. You still see them at Flea Markets. One of the best razors ever designed.

Reactions: Anu
Check BST, they can be had for not much money. Personally, I wouldn't send a Slim out to get replated. Getting it revamped? Sure, then you will know it's functioning at its peak. There's enough of them still around that you can find a nice one without paying an arm & a leg for..

Last edited:
Probably the folks up here do not own a revamped Slim. I am fortunate enough to own one. I also own another one in original and great condition after cleaning up.

my view is simple: If your budget allows, go for the revamped one. It’s night and day, like unboxing a modern top notch safety razor. Simply wonderful to look at. More importantly, you have guaranteed even and correct blade gaps. Many used razors will have uneven or wrong gaps and it’s hard to know for sure until you have it in your hands

A mint condition revamped Gillette adjustable will bring a lot of joy every time you use it

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have three Slims. I had my birthday Slim fully disassembled, ceracoated, and tuned up. Shaves amazing now. I can crank it up to 9 and have a wonderful shave. Especially on my birthday.

A32F5B10-486D-4AC6-8003-BA238F0D555B.jpeg

Buy the best you can afford. In general, buy something for what it is, rather than what you think it might be later.
Eliminate the possibility of disappointment wherever possible
A bird in the hand…yadda, yadda, yadda

Looking to add another Slim to my collection. I have a 1963 Slim from my Grandpa that I'm looking to give to my son. So want another Slim to replace it.

Should i go with a Great Condition Slim via BST or eBay, or pick one up for less money and send it out to revamp it?

What's the pro's and con's of revamping?

I'm assuming the pricing is going to be close i.e. +/- $20

Dennis
I bought a user grade Slim and it looks and feels kinda rough. The adjustment ring and door opening knobs could work a lot more smoothly. I am seriously considering sending it to Back Roads Gold and having it replated and tuned up. I am even considering have it done in gold. I don't have any gold razors and I think it would be pretty unique to have it done in gold. I say there are no wrong answers but it seems to me that extending the life of an old razor can't be a bad thing.

I have three Slims. I had my birthday Slim fully disassembled, ceracoated, and tuned up. Shaves amazing now. I can crank it up to 9 and have a wonderful shave. Especially on my birthday.

View attachment 1336403
That is a awesome look. Especially since you have multiple Slims.

This is making me think of getting 2 Slims when i pass down one to my Son. What's the old saying, 1 is None, and 2 is 1? or something to that affect.

Dennis

I bought a user grade Slim and it looks and feels kinda rough. The adjustment ring and door opening knobs could work a lot more smoothly. I am seriously considering sending it to Back Roads Gold and having it replated and tuned up. I am even considering have it done in gold. I don't have any gold razors and I think it would be pretty unique to have it done in gold. I say there are no wrong answers but it seems to me that extending the life of an old razor can't be a bad thing.
A gold slim is not unique at all... it's called an Aristocrat... one of many aristocrats (dozen?) Gillette made.
16329450636985814496305643576863.jpg

I've got a couple of extra minty cased slims, but $20 imo is more of a hope for the best ebay price on a crusty one that may or may not clean up new.

Update:

I bought a good to great condition Slim. Looks very similar to my grandfathers Slim, the doors are in a bit better shape and the bottom is cleaner. My grandfathers Slim has some cloudiness in a few places that a deeper cleaning might get rid of. I just cleaned it up via Dawn dish soap and a soft microfiber towel. Nothing special yet.

Hard to tell on the first shave this morning but performed similiar to mine. I set it at 5 and can feel the blade a bit more than others. Tomorrow will probably shave with grandfather's Slim to compare. Probably should have done the left side of face versus right side of face but was in a bit of a hurry. Late riser and had a early meeting I had to jump on.

Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I will be happy and saved some money by not going the re-vamp route.

Now, what's the next razor? The Tradere looks great and might be tempted.

Top Bottom