What's new

Button Fly

I have never had a metal zipper fail on a pair of jeans, but have discovered frayed button fly openings to the point where repairs were needed. Of course the jean was well worn like a those worn by some heavy metal rocker.

I've thought about this thread since first commenting in it.

I've never had a zipper fail on jeans either. Have had zipper failures on inexpensive dress trousers but never a pair of jeans since the early 60s.

I like old-fashioned but there is a limit.

Muzzleloading, straight razors, hand cranks to start a car, and button flys are all examples of taking things too far to suit me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've thought about this thread since first commenting in it.

I've never had a zipper fail on jeans either. Have had zipper failures on inexpensive dress trousers but never a pair of jeans since the early 60s.

I like old-fashioned but there is a limit.

Muzzleloading, straight razors, hand cranks to start a car, and button flys are all examples of taking things too far to suit me.
I enjoy my straight razor shaves more than my SE or DE ones.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't had a button fly since highschool. It took some practice, but when the moment was right I could rip those things....never mind.

I stopped wearing Levi's years ago---like 20 years ago------never a problem with the buttons but the crotch always gave way---then they raised the price and that was the last nail in the Levi coffin-----Lee's and Wrangler's for me anymore.

Ya--I'm cheap but will spend the money for quality.

Zippers for me. I want to get my business done and move on. That said, I wish pants came with upside-down zippers like some jackets do. They fly won't open accidentally due to that pesky gravity and will also resist lateral forces that might unzip the zipper.

Last edited:
I much prefer zippers. I have never had a problem with a zipper. Nowadays zippers are high quality and durable.

I suppose a zipper could jam, but so could a button come loose and be lost.

I much prefer zippers.

I prefer buttons on jeans. I've seldom had a zipper fail, but they eventually start to sink down of their our accord while I'm wearing them - not a good look.

I prefer buttons on jeans. I've seldom had a zipper fail, but they eventually start to sink down of their our accord while I'm wearing them - not a good look.

Not a fan of zippers, but you can prevent that with a pair of pliers and squeezing the top/bottom of the zipper slightly to increase the friction.

I like button flies on my jeans.

If I were going to have a bespoke suit made, I would consider a button fly for it, too. Have not had to cross that particular bridge. I might not have the nerve.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like button flies on my jeans.

If I were going to have a bespoke suit made, I would consider a button fly for it, too. Have not had to cross that particular bridge. I might not have the nerve.
A Canadian tuxedo is in order.

I am wearing 501's as I post this. They're every bit as comfortable as zippered jeans. Not always as convenient, so I tend to give zippered jeans the slight "edge" on my preference.

I've worn Levi 501 Shrink-to-Fit button fly jeans since I was 13 y.o. (48 years). I can un-fasten them faster than any zipper and won't wear any other style of jeans.

I wear Levi 501 button-downs virtually every day of the year, and have for years. I've got about 12 pair in rotation. Wouldn't wear anything else (unless I'm going to a wedding or funeral).

When I was in Junior High and High School and was this skinny kid that couldn't get button fly jeans in his size they were cool. (early to mid 70's) After having lived with them a time or two, they were much less cool. Big pain in the butt. Haven't gone back to button fly jeans. Prefer zippers. Of course, instead of 501's I usually buy 517's now.

Top Bottom