What's new

Butterscotch Restore Help !

So in the antique shop today , no razors, a couple of painted wooden brushes, then I spot a nicer looking brush. The conversation to myself goes something like this:
"Oooh, that looks nice"
"But what do you need another one for ? You've already got your Omega Boar and you're waiting on your 21047 to arrive"
"But isn't that one of those often discussed Butterscotch ones"
"Yeah maybe , but am I going to use it?"
"Well, maybe ? "
"Look the hairs not even even, it'll sit in the cupboard"
"I could restore it with perhaps a badger"
"You're hopeless with tools"
and so on..............

Well SBAD hit bad and for the price I bought it :001_smile

proxy.php

On it it has "Made in England" "KS7" "Pure Bristle". The writing is "engraved" and then coloured ( Know what I mean ? )

Looks like there might have been some sort of "shieldy" type emblem on it but it's rubbed off.
proxy.php

Hairs not even and some of them look clipped close to the base:
proxy.php

You can "feel" the difference in quality between this turned handle and say my moulded Omega.

So, is it a butterscotch ?

Why are butterscotchs so desireable ?

What should I use to clean the handle, I don't want to "rub off" the remaining writing if possilbe.

A search for KS7 here brings up nothing.

Anybody know what brand it is ?

Should I reknot or should I just use it as is ( it doesn't look like it's been used ) ???

If I do reknot what size Golden Nib should I buy ???

I'm a face latherer, mainly soap, with a "small patch" that needs to be shaved so nothing too big..........

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice.

It's an old boar brush. Nice butterscotch handle.

I sent mine to Rudy Vey (see separate thread in this very forum recently posted by Rudy). You could contact him and he can help you with deciding what to do.

People like em cause they're pretty. That's why they're desirable. At least to me...
The knot size would depend on the hole size of the brush.
What you could do is sell it to me and I'll restore it ;)
Seriously though, if you're thinking of selling it, PM me.
If not, measure the hole, then get a knot that's at least a few millimeters smaller, because since you're a face latherer, you'll want a short loft on your brush.
Good luck

Last edited:
People like em cause they're pretty. That's why they're desirable. At least to me...
The knot size would depend on the hole size of the brush.
What you could do is sell it to me and I'll restore it ;)
Seriously though, if you're thinking of selling it, PM me.
If not, measure the hole, then get a knot that's at least a few millimeters smaller, because since you're a face latherer, you'll want a short loft on your brush.
Good luck

Hokay, well, more of a decision has been made. I was reading through the forums and found about about the soak/heat and twist idea to get rid of the old knot.

While I was Silvoing the handle I thought I'd just give it a twist and....bang....all the bristles started coming out just like that.....no soaking no heating....damned vintage glue !

Now I'm left with this :001_smile

proxy.php
proxy.php

So.....the hole is 19mm deep and 22cm diameter................( by my highly accurate freebie promo ruler :tongue_sm )

So looking at Golden Nib I'd be best to go for either the 18mm X 58mm or the 22mm X 65mm ( Grade A ) Silvertip or am I better to go with something a bit firmer say 20mm X65 or 22 X 65 finest ???????????

If I go less than 22mm do I have to "pack" around it, so it fits properly ???

Correct ??? Which would be better given soaps and face latherer ????

How can there be so many decisions to be made about a bunch of hairs !!!!:tongue_sm

Last edited:
I don't think you should mess w/ it at all, you should let me restore it and I will let you know how it turns out!! (I could include pics!!) :lol: great score BTW.

Last edited:
H

Hanzo

Great handle .I bought a barely used brush with a like new butterscotch handle on ebay. I thought it was a vintage Simpson:rolleyes:. It turned out to have a knot of boar ringed by badger. I sent my brush to ShaveMac and they reknotted in Finest. They did an outstanding job, cost $70 for the reknot. There seem to be outstanding restorers on BB and I would say let someone put on a nice knot for you.enjoy.

I did a resto using a Golden Nib 20mm silvertip knot and I've been really pleased with the job.
You will need two part epoxy (I got mine from Bunnings) as noted in other threads but there's a lot more choice in the Golden Nib range now than when I did mine so I can't help you with the newer styles/sizes.
Anyway, the best thing is you're only spending twenty bucks or so and if you don't happen to like the end result (doubtful by the way because it's 'your' brush with a bit of history) you're not too much out of pocket.
Good luck with it.:001_smile

I would try the 20mm two-band Finest from Golden Nib. Rudy posted a restore using that knot and I think it would be a great choice. You would end up with a 46mm loft...perfection.

I found mine (the one in the other thread that Rudy Vey started) at an antique mall in Williamsburg, VA. It was almost hidden, but I found it because I saw a couple of very overpriced razors I didn't need, and it was near them, but in the back.

I have a similar glue in the bottom of one of my old handles- red/ purplish and ROCK HARD. Lucky for you that it just came out!! I drilled at mine for days before it was all out, and at that point it still caked the walls and bottom. I lost patience for the time being, but I'll be back.

Beautiful handle! It'll give a replacement know a very nice home!

Lucky for you that it just came out!!

The glue was so dry and brittle, that the hairs were starting to fall out. I noticed that they weren't snapping and noticed the red glue on the bottoms of them. Hence the requirement to restore, couldn't have used it as it was.

I would try the 20mm two-band Finest from Golden Nib.

After some email correspondence with Anthony at TGN that was the conclusion I came to as well. So 20mm Finest it is.

Ordered and shipped. Great service from Anthony, he answered all my stoopid questions :blushing:

I did a resto using a Golden Nib 20mm silvertip knot and I've been really pleased with the job.
You will need two part epoxy (I got mine from Bunnings)

Baggiez, the Araldite is at the ready for when the knot arrives.

Will post piccies of results when knot arrives.

Thanks for help all :001_smile

Last edited:
You do not have to pack if you choose a 20. The 22 jumps to 24 right after the plug, so you'd be left with a 67mm loft brush if you choose that. It then jumps to 26 and 28 very quickly even with me pushing the hairs together, and in order to get a good 45mm loft with a 22mm finest with extra hair, I needed to have a hole that was about 26-27mm!
So, either get the 18 with the silvertip or the 20 finest.
Good luck!

great looking handle,
I really like the finest badger from golden nib, holds lots of lather and it luxuriously soft.
try some marine goop. no need to mix a 2 part epoxy and just use a little other wise it will ooze out the sides of the brush.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Here's one I think I'll try to make a little more user friendly.

proxy.php

Now is this considered butterscotch? All it says on the bottom is STERILIZED, SET IN RUBBER and MADE IN U.S.A.

Any advice appreciated. Hope this isn't thread hijacking.

--Doug

Not to hijack the thread, but dang I just saw this same brush today nemo! Except it doesn't look swirly in the bottom part, but otherwise exactly like it! :lol:

Top Bottom