What's new

Buttermilk Biscuits

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I have been working on my biscuit game as of late. I personally prefer of denser biscuit over a flaky. Therefore Im using lard/shortening instead of butter.

As most good Southern folk, I am using White Lily Self Rising flour. Unlike most Southerners, I use the recipe on the back of the package.

Anyhone have any cant miss recipes?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Do you drop them or roll them out?

Subscribed!
I’ve always used the recipe on the bisquick box. Looking forward to this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Do you drop them or roll them out?

Subscribed!
I’ve always used the recipe on the bisquick box. Looking forward to this...

I dont really roll them out..as i just shape with my hand.

Recipe i use is via White Lily

2c Self Rising Flour
1/4 cup shortening/lard
3/4 cup buttermilk

I do like 8 fold and presses and cut them out. I dont do the twist with the cutter, as I hear it causes the biscuit to not rise. Bake at 475F for 8-12 minutes.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Could I bake the biscuits in my toaster/bake oven ? Usually I cook 3 pounds of chicken in that space. This small oven fits on my kitchen counter.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Could I bake the biscuits in my toaster/bake oven ? Usually I cook 3 pounds of chicken in that space. This small oven fits on my kitchen counter.

I dont see why not. As long as it gets up to temp

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
From one good southerner to another, if you're using lard, they are going to be fantastic ;) It is the true secret ingredient and it really doesn't get any better than following the directions on the back of the package. I hope you post pics when they are done.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well from this Northerner I agree lard is best. For pie crust too. Everything very cold and mixing as little as possible. My mother had a glass rolling pin that could be filled with ice and water and had a stretchy cloth cover. 40's and 50's technology folks.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My first attempt. 2 cups flour, tbl sugar, tbl baking powder, tsp salt, stick of butter, 3/4 cup milk. Flat and fold by hand. They were delicious, thank you for the idea. Homemade sausage grave goes well with them.
proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
1/4 inch thick seams awfully thin, will it rise during baking?
Also... Brush with milk?

1/4 inch thick seams awfully thin, will it rise during baking?
Also... Brush with milk?
The biscuits should rise during baking to about twice the height you roll them out. For taller biscuits, I think that would be close to 1/2" thick and make about 12 x 2-inch diameter biscuits total.

Brushing with milk is to give a softer crust with a darker color.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Her recipe did not have sugar, unlike the first attempt. I think I liked the second batch better.

proxy.php

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Her recipe did not have sugar, unlike the first attempt. I think I liked the second batch better

Wonder if she let them rise for a while before baking. Is your baking powder fresh? Four teaspoons should get a better rise.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Wonder if she let them rise for a while before baking. Is your baking powder fresh? Four teaspoons should get a better rise.

Did not let them rest, and the BP is not old, but not new either. I will try letting them rise next time.

It's so simple to make my own self-rising flour. I just combine fresh baking powder with shorterning and thoroughly mix with a whisk. Puts the stuff in bags and boxes to shame!

Did not let them rest, and the BP is not old, but not new either. I will try letting them rise next time.
Here's a few suggestions for taller biscuits:
  • Many Southern recipes use buttermilk. This provides extra acid, which helps the baking powder and/or baking soda to rise more. If you don't have buttermilk, you can mix one teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of regular milk, or a couple teaspoons of yogurt per cup of regular milk. Chill your buttermilk.
  • If using buttermilk, substitute some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for a part of the baking powder. Say about 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4-1/2 teaspoon baking soda for 2 cups flour.
  • Sift the baking powder/soda, flour and salt together to mix thoroughly.
  • If using butter, chill it hard in the freezer first. To get small pieces, you can use a coarse food grater.
  • Cut butter into the flour to the coarse crumb stage. Do not over mix or over knead.
  • Roll out the dough about 1/4" thin, sprinkle with flour, double it over, repeat 3 or 4 times. This mixes the butter into the flour and helps create the flaky layers you want. Final dough should be about 1/2" thick or a little more. During baking, the biscuits should roughly double in height.
  • When laying the biscuits out in the baking pan, let the sides touch just a bit. They will support each other when rising.

Top Bottom