What's new

Butterfly vs Three-Piece...is one better than the other?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Not sure if there is a better or worse, but I'm sure many of you have an opinion on this. I've been thinking about this myself lately. Being relatively new to it all, I'd like to see what you think. Thanks for your input in advance.

Not sure if there is a better or worse, but I'm sure many of you have an opinion on this. I've been thinking about this myself lately. Being relatively new to it all, I'd like to see what you think. Thanks for your input in advance.
Butterfly for me fixes a problem that doesn't exist and creates new opportunity for jamming and misalignment of parts. Not a fan.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Agree 100% with Brother JMud. What’s the problem w a 3 piece that the TTO was designed to solve? Why add the complexity of moving parts and introduce new possibilities of failure? Bad design. Gimmick. Truth is, with the Tech, Gillette reached the limit of product development, an efficient, durable product. How to sell more? Introduce a “new” product with illusory improvements to a gullible public. And that was the point when Gillette ran down the rabbit hole that ultimately brought us to 5 bladed heated razors that secrete lubricants and, finally, brought US back to the wisdom of no-nonsense 3 piece DE shaving. Quite a journey

Last edited:
I also prefer the simplicity of a three-piece.

I think that the TTO seemed like an improvement when it first came out, because back then we were using carbon steel blades that had to be replaced every day or maybe taken out, dried off, and used one more day.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I agree with what has been said above, when I first started DE shaving I was intrigued by TTO adjustables like the Slim. As time went on I grew tired of these and preferred non adjustable TTO like the red tip. Now, my adjustables have been sold and I rarely use the non adjustable TTO razors, instead much preferring non TTO, two and three piece razors. I suspect quite a few shavers follow a similar path. For me, TTO is a needless over complex and slightly vulgar gimmick. On a practical note I find the TTO generally thicker profile head less manoeuvreable, especially under the nose. I see a day, quite soon when I do not own a single TTO razor. 👍

I agree with what has been said above, when I first started DE shaving I was intrigued by TTO adjustables like the Slim. As time went on I grew tired of these and preferred non adjustable TTO like the red tip. Now, my adjustables have been sold and I rarely use the non adjustable TTO razors, instead much preferring non TTO, two and three piece razors. I suspect quite a few shavers follow a similar path. For me, TTO is a needless over complex and slightly vulgar gimmick. On a practical note I find the TTO generally thicker profile head less manoeuvreable, especially under the nose. I see a day, quite soon when I do not own a single TTO razor. [emoji106]
I suspect the original Gillette butterfly TTO design at least in part came in response to the success of ASR's one piece Micromatic, a simpler and more rugged design which preceded Gillette's by 4 years, as well as the less elegant Segal TTO released 2 years prior to Gillette's first patent application.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I never liked TTOs much. The shaves were just never as good as with a 3 piece for me. Part of this is just the geometry of the Gillette TTOs I think. But TTOs also seem to not hold the blade as rigid as most 3-pieces do and that seems like part of the issue to me too.

I prefer two- or three-piece razors; the heads on most TTOs are a little too big more me to comfortably shave under my nose. The only TTO razor that I really liked was the Gillette G1000, which had a slim head and held the blade quite rigidly.

The three piece is definitely easier to keep clean and maintain. Its simplicity is awesome.
When adjustability came into play it opened up to a much greater audience. If someone felt a three piece was a tad aggressive it remained so. If it could be dialed back a bit and shave well then that was a money maker and a product that would suit more people and ultimately a win for everyone.
Its no wonder they sold so many.

I like Gillette TTO's, think they are great, all of them. Adjustable razors are unique and no matter which modern razor tries to copy them....none that I have tried comes even close.
Gillette razors made in England offer tighter and smoother mechanism....if that is something you want.
Of course there are new cheap TTO's, I would skip em....but some do shave OK (not sure how long they will last)

I'm fussy about blade clamping. I don't like blade chatter in a razor which TTO are prone. Invariably poor clamping leads to skipping over stubble whist shaving which makes you resort to the repeated buffing of the skipped areas resulting in irritation and nicks and cuts to get a close shave. For this reason I much prefer 2 or 3-piece razor designs

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I will chime in with a preference for 2 or 3 piece razors as well. Simplicity and better performers.

I prefer the three pieces SR, for me they are more comfortable and if something goes wrong, everything can be easily replaced. (in so many years I never need it, but who knows if in the future i will need)

With the 3 pieces You can customize your own safety razor with a Frankenrazor, after that for sure there is no better safety razor than this one for you ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For DE razors, I definitely prefer a good 3-piece design.

However, there are numerous TTOs (Gillette Ranger Tech, Aristocrat, Red Tip, Rocket, etc. and the venerable Schick Krona) that I will keep and, on occasion, use. :)

YMMV :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So much good info, thank you. I think I will have to get a three-piece as I currently only have butterfly DE razors. Thinking of an E.J. Chatsworth.

Thinking of an E.J. Chatsworth.
Great choice -I own the Barley Chatsworth to which I've fitted a Yaqi Flipside Dual Comb razor head since I like the choice of having a milder open comb side for shaving the more sensitive areas of my face

Last edited:
Top Bottom