What's new

Butterfly Safety Razors ?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Honestly speaking, because of the huge market size Gillette occupied in the past, vintage TTO has enabled the company to invest a lot of money and equipment to develop and mass-produce it, which is a huge miracle in the industry.
Due to the lack of sufficient market scale of modern TTO, no matter stamping or casting, material ... must simplify the number of molds and parts, and the proofing process, so it cannot be compared with vintage TTO.
TTO has many detailed structures, modern use of zamak would only make those structures more fragile when moving, or having to increase thickness/head size in exchange for sturdiness.
The only high-quality modern machined version is the CNC-made Janus (replica Gillette Toggle), which unfortunately was so rare and expensive that production has been discontinued; and due to the advice of some testers, the finished version is much more radical than the original.

My Gillette was a gift from one of the kind gentlemen on this forum. I definitely feel blessed. It's a 63 year old razor. It is just a ridiculously well made product. Delivers a great shave and is just feels great in my hand.
IMG_8875.jpg

Honestly speaking, because of the huge market size Gillette occupied in the past, vintage TTO has enabled the company to invest a lot of money and equipment to develop and mass-produce it, which is a huge miracle in the industry.
Due to the lack of sufficient market scale of modern TTO, no matter stamping or casting, material ... must simplify the number of molds and parts, and the proofing process, so it cannot be compared with vintage TTO.
TTO has many detailed structures, modern use of zamak would only make those structures more fragile when moving, or having to increase thickness/head size in exchange for sturdiness.
The only high-quality modern machined version is the CNC-made Janus (replica Gillette Toggle), which unfortunately was so rare and expensive that production has been discontinued; and due to the advice of some testers, the finished version is much more radical than the original.
Hmm very interesting - I don't much care for the ball lock design in the handle though

I only visit Etsy to see if they have any rare razors to feast my eyes on, but other than that I think that's one of the worst places to look for a razor to buy. It's a full clown fiesta.
As in, way overpriced? What would an old Gillette TTO made in England cost in good conditon normally?

As in, way overpriced? What would an old Gillette TTO made in England cost in good conditon normally?

Yes, I do find the majority of the razors there to be heavily overpriced and some of which are going for double of what they actually sell. I believe the most common British Gillette TTO model to be the Rocket HD. About it's value, according to the rules of the forum, we're not allowed to ask or answer such questions, but your best bet is to try your luck in the BST section.

Most folks on BST are really reasonable and for the most part is really hard to find anything for a better price elsewhere in the wild, unless you're really lucky.

Yes, I do find the majority of the razors there to be heavily overpriced and some of which are going for double of what they actually sell. I believe the most common British Gillette TTO model to be the Rocket HD. About it's value, according to the rules of the forum, we're not allowed to ask or answer such questions, but your best bet is to try your luck in the BST section.

Most folks on BST are really reasonable and for the most part is really hard to find anything for a better price elsewhere in the wild, unless you're really lucky.
OK cool, I'll bear that in mind!

He’s waaaaay overpriced. I would not pay those prices.
Your just salty he bait/switched ya on that military set lol!...which is worse than overpriced IMO.
However, to be fair to the guy, I've managed successfully to negotiate a couple of good deals with him.

Regarding etsy pricing in general, I've investigated a selling account with them previously. At the time, it looked like up to 35% would be gobbled up in fees. So from that perspective, if I were to sell on etsy, a fatboy i'd list on BST here for $50 would be listed at $85 there to make up the difference.

Just my $.02

I will say what most have said: get an old Gillette, well get more than one..... they are fantastic!! When I started, it took me a while to fall into the rabbit hole....but this is one I am glad to have explored.

How about the Wilkinson Sword butterfly razor on Amazon. It says source is Germany and is pretty cheap

I thought I had read that it is made in China? I have one myself.

My suggestion would be the same. I find the build quality is excellent, I can't find any reason to fault its build. It doesn't have a cheap feel to it at all. Yes, the head is lighter and naturally hollow, so it might feel a bit more insignificant when compared to a solid two piece head.

It is an easy and comfortable shave. It will surprise you how close it will shave.

My regular shave is with an R41 and the Wilkinson TTO shave is almost as close.

Amazon regularly sells them currently, for about a $13.50. And, they include a full tuck of five German Wilkinson Sword blades. This razor is a good product and its very hard to beat thus deal!

Top Bottom