What's new

Butterfly Safety Razors...

I have one butterfly safety razor, a Parker 99r. I like the butterfly style of safety razors, but don't really like the 99r due to it being so aggressive. Can anyone recommend a butterfly safety razor (any brand) that isn't so aggressive?

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Try a Gillette super speed, flare tip or a Fatboy or a Slim.
Can't go wrong with any of these razors.
I have one butterfly safety razor, a Parker 99r. I like the butterfly style of safety razors, but don't really like the 99r due to it being so aggressive. Can anyone recommend a butterfly safety razor (any brand) that isn't so aggressive?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good choices above but don't overlook the Schick Krona, a smooth and mild vintage.

It’s Crazy how these things effect us differently. I couldn’t get that razor to give me a close shave regardless of how hard I tried.

Ditto. A 1940's (or 50's) style Super Speed or the Krona would also be a great pickup and great improvement.

If you want an adventure you could try a Pearl TTY open comb. I have been trying to master these and it has been hit and miss. A good shave one day followed by an uncomfortable one the next. Clearly operator error but a fun challenge.

To OP - I have two Super Speeds and would sell the 1951 razor at a reasonable price of $30 including delivery to any USA address. Please let me know if you are interested.

Slackskin

Feather. My workhorse. My first DE . Can't go wrong.

Great choice. I don't have a Feather Popular anymore, but it's very good quality, even if the majority is made of plastic. You can find them very cheaply now, too. 10 and change shipped on eBay. I might end up getting a new one.

Weishi is a good choice, too, as a couple have mentioned. I used to have the 9306H, I believe, which was of decent quality. They're not as common or cheap as they used to be, though (at least on eBay). Either this or the Feather will give a nice, mild shave.

Going on three years of regular use and not a single issue physically or mechanically. The backhanded compliments it gets as a good "starter razor" are silly. It's a good razor full stop.

Feather Popular is a fantastic razor. Mild and fairly efficient.

I have a 40s Super Speed that I used today. It is a great razor.

The Weishi razors are mild and also fairly efficient. I have a short and a long handle Weishi. I am a fan of these as well.

The Gillette red Flare Tip is less mild than the above, but it is also more efficient.

All are among my favorite razors for a safe, smooth shave.

Vintage Gillette is the way to go.

If you are looking for new, there are some good recommendations in this thread, but my vote is for vintage.

Please let us know what you go with.

Top Bottom