What's new

Butane - what's the best?

I have a Xikar pipe lighter and only used it about 5 times in the two weeks I've owned it and it seems to already be out of fuel. The flame is bouncing around so I am assuming it is out of fuel. My question - I know Xikar makes butane fuel but I wanted to check in and see what the best butane to get and what (if any) brands I should stay away from.

Monarch Pipe Lighter was worthless for me. Wouldn't take a refil very easy and I couldn't figure out how to fix the ignition that broke after the 5th bowl. Maybe I got a dud but I don't want to get another to find out.

Luckily the tobacconist is so kind they said to bring it by, if they can't fix it while I enjoy a complimentary bowl, then I will walk out of the store with a brand new Xikar no questions asked. Just seems weird that after 5 bowls that the flame started to bounce around like it was out of fuel and then as soon as it started to bounce, only a light later it was dead. Love the customer service but not a fan of the Xikar brand so far.

Butane lighters are fiddly to fill. I had trouble with my Xikar at first also, but once I got the hang of filling it there were no more issues. Mine would jump and sputter as well, but when I switched to Xikar fuel (from Zippo butane) the problems went away after the first fill.

Xikar stuff is almost universally great, and I'd really recommend their butane over any other brand I've tried.

Nope I didn't purge it because I don't know what that is lol

I bought the lighter new, they filled it with Xikar or Vector fuel (can't remember) and handed it to me.

turn it upside down and take something small I use a little screw driver I have for glasses and press the nipple where you add the fuel until all the air is out. then shake your can of butane a few times and refill the lighter.

I was always told to never shake the can of butane as you mix the butane and propellant.

I'm assuming by "propellant", he is talking about the butane vapor. I could be wrong. You turn the can upside down to make sure you fill your lighter with liquid butane. Shaking the can while filling would add vapor into the lighter and prevent you from filling it completely. I shake the can before filling to use the warmth of my hand to raise the temperature and, along with it, the pressure of the can to get a little more into the lighter. It sounds like you've done everything correctly, I'd send it to Xikar for repair. Their warranty service has always been top notch in my experience with them, though that has been with cigar cutters.

I tried bleeding the lighter and damned if it really is completely bone dry. Not even a whisp of sound.

Woohoo my lighter is back! They figured it was an air pocket because it took longer to fill up than last time he said. Anyways, went safe and bought a large can of Xikar butane for just in case.

Hey everyone, thought this'd be a good as spot as any for my first post & myself picking up the pipe a short time ago also find myself trying to find all the necessary especial accoutrements in which to honor the good leaf ritual most proper.

I tend toward almost essayistic & rambling scratches, but I'll try to stay on point.

Xikar is a good choice & they're an American company so that's an added bonus. I've never used one, but a quick bounce nett'd these coupla quotes:
"I have a Xikar pipeline as well. and all the same issues with it. It has a tidbit of a wobble to the flint rod and stand, as well as a seemingly short fuel mileage. I get probably a dozen or so bowls for each fill up. I think that's low but then again it's my only butane lighter so what do I know. But I have sent mine in 2 times already for repairs and they've done great each time. I figure if you don't mind waiting 2 weeks and paying a bit of postage every 3 months then it's a great alternative to an old boy. Especially if ya lose it!"

"Also, if you haven't filled out a registration on their site (assuming you didn't order from them) be sure to do so and they will send a little leather sheath for your lighter - at no cost. Might help you carry it around."

"I used to have one and finally got so frustrated with it after sending it off for repairs three times I tossed it and bought an Old Boy."

...so, there it is. I know there's plenty of folks completely happy with the Xikar & perhaps you'll be well-serviced by it, but if ever a time arises where you're not diggin' it, I'd recco a Corona Old Boy, which can be found for around $80 ifya go a lookin' & the matte black is mucho badass...the tank capacity is 40% larger than the Xikar, it's weighty & perhaps what I love most is how easy the flint rubwheel sparks & I use my index finger inna quick flick no prob...unless it's windy!!! It's a good idea to buy a new one as opposed to an older one from somewhere because the newer ones have been totally updated with bulletproof seals & harder wearing finishes etc etc

All that said, I really like this style of lift-arm lighter, a total classic, all the companies making their variation on the theme owe it all to Dunhill & his Unique petrol lighter, a truly genius design which can read about by getting this luverly bookish object:
The Dunhill Petrol Lighter: A Unique Story
; )

...now, here's a sparky I was goin' nuts trying to find for a while:
A Sarome PSD12
.........................& alotta different cases too, witness Amazon.co.jp

Happy Days & Holy Smokes!

Oh yeah, anda heads up for anybody who digs the ever elusive Esoterica Stonehaven, I have it under good authority that some'll be poppin' up any day now, $38 an 8oz + shipping, but I've seen it for much more gouge than that, so keep yer eyes peel'd if'n yer into it:
here's the magic spot

I got lucky lately & scored a coupla bags & I was actually astonished because I thought it was NLA like Edgeworth or something so it was great being able at last to sample the sweet dark leaf & most certainly it lives up to the myth!!!!!

Cheers!

Good info mr.lowercase. There's a few guys here that will be stoked to here about that stonehaven also.

Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to B&B! I am very pleased that your first post was in a topic I started. It means a lot to know things I start have an impact on new members. I am dying to try Stonehaven. I've found a spot to buy 8oz packs of And So To Bed which is one of my favorite smokes. I'd like to try this stonehaven.

If anyone has a bowl or two, I'd like to try it. I'd even be willing to pay for a sample. Just send a PM if you care to do CONUS business.

Hey everyone, thought this'd be a good as spot as any for my first post & myself picking up the pipe a short time ago also find myself trying to find all the necessary especial accoutrements in which to honor the good leaf ritual most proper.

I tend toward almost essayistic & rambling scratches, but I'll try to stay on point.

Xikar is a good choice & they're an American company so that's an added bonus. I've never used one, but a quick bounce nett'd these coupla quotes:
"I have a Xikar pipeline as well. and all the same issues with it. It has a tidbit of a wobble to the flint rod and stand, as well as a seemingly short fuel mileage. I get probably a dozen or so bowls for each fill up. I think that's low but then again it's my only butane lighter so what do I know. But I have sent mine in 2 times already for repairs and they've done great each time. I figure if you don't mind waiting 2 weeks and paying a bit of postage every 3 months then it's a great alternative to an old boy. Especially if ya lose it!"

"Also, if you haven't filled out a registration on their site (assuming you didn't order from them) be sure to do so and they will send a little leather sheath for your lighter - at no cost. Might help you carry it around."

"I used to have one and finally got so frustrated with it after sending it off for repairs three times I tossed it and bought an Old Boy."

...so, there it is. I know there's plenty of folks completely happy with the Xikar & perhaps you'll be well-serviced by it, but if ever a time arises where you're not diggin' it, I'd recco a Corona Old Boy, which can be found for around $80 ifya go a lookin' & the matte black is mucho badass...the tank capacity is 40% larger than the Xikar, it's weighty & perhaps what I love most is how easy the flint rubwheel sparks & I use my index finger inna quick flick no prob...unless it's windy!!! It's a good idea to buy a new one as opposed to an older one from somewhere because the newer ones have been totally updated with bulletproof seals & harder wearing finishes etc etc

All that said, I really like this style of lift-arm lighter, a total classic, all the companies making their variation on the theme owe it all to Dunhill & his Unique petrol lighter, a truly genius design which can read about by getting this luverly bookish object:
The Dunhill Petrol Lighter: A Unique Story
; )

...now, here's a sparky I was goin' nuts trying to find for a while:
A Sarome PSD12
.........................& alotta different cases too, witness Amazon.co.jp

Happy Days & Holy Smokes!

Oh yeah, anda heads up for anybody who digs the ever elusive Esoterica Stonehaven, I have it under good authority that some'll be poppin' up any day now, $38 an 8oz + shipping, but I've seen it for much more gouge than that, so keep yer eyes peel'd if'n yer into it:
here's the magic spot

I got lucky lately & scored a coupla bags & I was actually astonished because I thought it was NLA like Edgeworth or something so it was great being able at last to sample the sweet dark leaf & most certainly it lives up to the myth!!!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I use zippo butane in my old boy and no problem with it, I'm sure that Xikar is fine too but impossible to get in Europe :(

Hey I thought this thread might be the best place to ask:

Were do you guys buy your Xikar butane? My local shop is dragging their feet about ordering it in. It appears many tobacco sites sell their lighters, but no butane. A quick Google shopping search reveals cans for 10 bucks & even free shipping. I just wasn't sure which retailers had the best rep.

Top Bottom