What's new

...but not close enough!

Hi guys,
I've been DE shaving for about 3 months - using a Gillette Super Speed and a variety of blades. The truth is, I've never got as good a shave as when I was using a Gillette Mach3 Power along with a few drops of shave oil. I love DE shaving, so I need to find a way to get a closer, smoother shave.
Can you guys give me any advice? Do you think I should try another razor? I've just won a Gillette adjustable on ebay - would that help?
Thanks

Sounds like how I started. I could not get a good shave from the Super Speed and moved away from it. One day about five months into the DE thing I picked up again and fell in love. I used the Mach3 Power, an awesome shave no doubt. The Super Speed is a mild shaver in my opinion so you need a good blade so you may want to read in the sub forum inside Safety Razors I believe it is and work on your technique; I watched videos and paid attention to how they worked and I had been wet shaving a while. I will say that this time of year is challenging for the shave and I had to make adjustments a few weeks ago. I added a brief hot towel because my face was drying because of the heat running; I lathered before applying the towel. Try some things you will be surprised what brings your shave around...Hope this helped

I shower first, then wash my face with hot water. Do 3 passes - with the grain, then across, then against.

I could probably get a closer shave with my Sensor, but with more irritation and ingrown hairs. I've been shaving for over 40 years and before DE it was always a chore. I find shaving with my SS or HD at night very relaxing and enjoyable. Maybe you've gotten into a rut. Try another razor. I thought my SS was the reason for my so-so shaves at first so I got a HD. Now I get good shaves with both razors and rotate them every so often with different blades.

As another recent convert from mach 3s can I suggest perseverence? ANY cartridge is more forgiving than a DE so you're not able to get the multiple passes at many angles you probably got away with before.

I'd be willing to bet that the adjustable will do wonders for you. I have a Slim, and when I was using it at the more mild settings my shaves were mediocre at best, and I've never gotten so much irritation. The regular SS's are comparable to an adjustable on 3 (I think...) so you may want to start there and move toward a more aggressive setting until you find the sweet spot. Mine is at a 5. Anything more aggressive and I start nicking myself, and anything less doesn't get the job soon enough so I get irritation from going over things again and again. Finding a good blade is important, as is prep and finding a good soap, cream, or shave oil that you can count on.

try a merkur 38c if you can and add a feather you will either love the feathers or cut the living heck out of yourself as i did at first :w00t: but after a little practice i think you will get the close shaves your looking for...

I'd be willing to bet that the adjustable will do wonders for you. I have a Slim, and when I was using it at the more mild settings my shaves were mediocre at best, and I've never gotten so much irritation. The regular SS's are comparable to an adjustable on 3 (I think...) so you may want to start there and move toward a more aggressive setting until you find the sweet spot. Mine is at a 5. Anything more aggressive and I start nicking myself, and anything less doesn't get the job soon enough so I get irritation from going over things again and again. .

This. My Fatboy at 5 was a revelation. So much better (for me, anyway).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Having an adjustable will be good. Did you face-map to find the direction of your passes?

You might need to do the 4 passes shave and see where it takes you.

Thanks guys - lots of good advice!
I'm experimenting with the adjustable at the moment.
I guess I'm not used to challenges with no instant solution!
Happy Xmas,

Sleepy Mat

Top Bottom