What's new

Business Travel - Bag of choice

With business travel all but shut down, I've found I'm missing it. I used to travel 75% of the time for my position, but that had dwindled down to about 10% of my time by the time the pandemic hit.

That being said, what is your bag of choice for business travel? Shoulder bag, duffel, roll-aboard, etc.? For me, I started with rolling bags (American Tourister, TravelPro, Ogio), but grew tired of waiting in jetways after flying commuter jets into places. I wanted something that was the same size, I could carry on those planes, didn't lose space due to the rolling hardware, and was good at keeping clothes wrinkle-free. Once I found the Red Oxx Air Boss, I never looked back. I've got close to 250,000 air miles on this thing, and don't miss the wheeled luggage.

What do you carry for travel, understanding that we're not really traveling these days?

redoxx1.jpg
redoxx2 (2).jpg

One thing that is a big pet peeve for me is oversized bags getting stuffed into overhead cargo on planes. Obviously, the fact that almost all airlines charge extra for checking your bag (plus the time lost waiting for said bag) hasn't helped the scenario.

That being said, it greatly depends on the length of the trip. I have a roll around that I use if the trip is gonna be 3 days or more. Outside of that, I have a VERY small bag my wife got me from LL Bean. It's so small, I've been asked several times if I brought my own lunch. Granted, the bag would not work for formal business travel. But it fits in any overhead bin and holds 2 days worth of travel essentials. It also helps that I'm a very light packer....

One thing that is a big pet peeve for me is oversized bags getting stuffed into overhead cargo on planes. Obviously, the fact that almost all airlines charge extra for checking your bag (plus the time lost waiting for said bag) hasn't helped the scenario.

That being said, it greatly depends on the length of the trip. I have a roll around that I use if the trip is gonna be 3 days or more. Outside of that, I have a VERY small bag my wife got me from LL Bean. It's so small, I've been asked several times if I brought my own lunch. Granted, the bag would not work for formal business travel. But it fits in any overhead bin and holds 2 days worth of travel essentials. It also helps that I'm a very light packer....
The nice thing about the Red Oxx bag I carry is that it, being soft sided, fits in any overhead, even on commuter jets. People trying to fit oversized bags into the overheads drives me nuts as well. I hate checking bags, and can easily get a week's worth of clothes in the Air Boss.

Red Oxx Air Boss. Five days or longer or if need to carry a suit.
Tom Bihn Tristar. Overnite, weekend, or ultralight for longer trips.

Both have lifetime guarantees.

Ebags Motherlode if the plane has a full sized overhead.

Patagonia Black Hole 40 ltr duffel with backpack straps if it does not.

Based on my experiences with those two bags and I was serious road warrior today looking to consolidate, buy once, cry once, buy made in the USA etc., I would look very hard at the Tom Bihn Synik 30. However, my flying which was maybe 4 x a year has stopped completely and will not likely pick up again until fall 2021.

If I was a casual traveler, ebags is closing out a number of color ways on multiple lines to include the Motherlode and Motherlode Jr. Pricing is 50-100.

Osprey is also doing a consolidation of some styles/colors and they may have one of the best warranties in the business without the constriction re what lifetime means vis a vis, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, e Bags , REI and retailers have been doing. Pricing is 50-125.

I'm a fan of the Red Oxx bags, and have an Air Boss which I really like.
The Air Boss is a great design for a specific purpose and is bulletproof. As seen above, mine has been through the ringer and keeps on ticking...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Up until mid March this year, I was averaging some 3 days per week of travel. This has completely stopped and I do not anticipate to get back in the air unless I get my vaccination....probably March or so.
My bag of choice is a Tumi Alpha, carry-on in standard sized planes, but in the small 145's it will not fit into the overhead.
Longer trips, I use a bigger bag that is checked.
I would love to use a smaller bag in general, but I have to pack a hard hat and safety shoes, so this takes a lot of space.
From 2022 on, all my travel will be only for pleasure as I will be retiring end of 2021!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Air Boss is a great design for a specific purpose and is bulletproof. As seen above, mine has been through the ringer and keeps on ticking...

Were I back to square one and in need of buying a bag, I'd probably get the Sky Train instead of the Air Boss, for the backpack straps and the two-instead-of-three main compartments.

RV-I suspect that you could pack the hardhat and safety boots in a duffle along with some soft goods in a 30-40 liter duffle to go under the seat. Mate that with a 20-25 liter backpack that would fit in even commuter jet overheads and you could have a tidy two bag carry on only system. If you flew with your safety boots on ( they seem to make everybody take off an shoe anyway) that would free up a ton of space in the duffle.

Been a few decades since I came off the road. Used garment bags until business casual became acceptable. Used an LL Bean bag like the one below for business casual. Had something like 70 - 80,000 air miles on it. Held up well and did everything asked of it.

4371662D-1A0D-455B-BC86-6EDCCF4F4C1B.jpeg

Pre COVID leisure travel I got pretty good a minimalist travel. Inspired by Rick Steves, One Bag and others a basic Patagonia backpack. A small bag worked well.

I usually fly with a checked roller bag (for longer trips) and whatever bookbag style of backpack that I used on a daily basis at the time, something with a laptop compartment and room for a few extras.

I follow a similar pattern for personal travel, though for the past 4-5 years I most often used a very simple school bag bought from either Walmart or Target as my carry on. It is surprising versatile when using packing cubes, as I can even fit those long, narrow cubes of about 12-14" long if needed, as the interior is just one open space. Before the pandemic hit I researched a lot of bags online, especially all of RedOxx and Tom Bihn's offerings. I found it nearly impossible to decide as my needs are different when traveling for business vs visiting family vs doing a road trip; but was leaning toward the Tom Bihn Synik 30. Even though I admired these better made bags, it would really be splurging as one of these ~$300 bag is only marginally more functional than my existing $20 bag. But I am hoping the organization of a bag like the Synik will make it worthwhile.

Reactions: ctr
Short trips just a small backpack and briefcase. Longer trips a old Briggs and Riley soft sided small roller. The briefcase will also fit over the handle which is useful. In used to travel to Japan regularly and carrying a bag through stations and up and down escalators was too hard. It fits most overheads ok, especially when I use miles to upgrade cabins. I’ve had various Tumi rollers and a larger Redoxx backpack but the B&R seems like the best bet for me for up to about 2 weeks. Longer than that and I’ll probably check. The rules for carryon change so often that anything more than a small backpack and briefcase will depend on the plane, country and various ad-hoc airline rulesanyway.

"Even though I admired these better made bags, it would really be splurging as one of these ~$300 bag is only marginally more functional than my existing $20 bag. But I am hoping the organization of a bag like the Synik will make it worthwhile."

Warning: Slight Thread Ramble

I have done 3-5 day business travel with everything from eBags to Patagonia to Eagle Creek to Eagle Industries to a converted Eddie Bauer 3 way (backpack/shoulder/handle) computer bag rescue from a thrift store (from which I cut out all the padding to free up space) in pursuit of minimalist no check in, usually one bag travel. I have done vacations and move kids to college trips up to 10 ish days.

Under ideal circumstances, the functionality between a 20.00 bag and a 300.00 bag may not be worth the price difference. Under less than ideal circumstances, it can be the difference between getting stuff home in one piece and not. Zippers on cheaper bags, break, tear, go off track etc. Seams split etc. Water and abrasion resistance are rarely remotely comparable.

My day in day out EDC bag is an Eagle Industries 3 Day Assault Pack. It is essentially a 20.00 school bag that was made with 1000D Cordura, heavy duty YKK zippers and Duraflex brand fasteners made to about 40-45 liter size. Simply put, the best raw materials available sewn in the USA outside of St. Louis by folks who cared. Ergo the price was 100ish on a deal.

However, I have to keep it organized by using a series of packing cubes/pencil containers to the tune of another 30-40 dollars. When I put a laptop and/or tablet in it (not very often) I put them in sleeves at another 30-40. In short, I am already knocking on the price of a Tom Bihn (or Red Oxx and I am sure other Made in the USA bags) which were engineered with the business traveler/scholar/multifaceted user in mind from a blank sheet of paper.

As I have passed my 55th year, the events of the past 9 months and a natural migration from the intersection of quality and value to best available as my children have grown older, coupled with a heartfelt and deliberate decision to not buy things made in in China and make the effort to buy made in the USA when I can, all tell me to tell you to buy the TB bag. On the off chance it really does not prove its worth, you can sell it on ebay for 80%- 100% + of what you have spent.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Under ideal circumstances, the functionality between a 20.00 bag and a 300.00 bag may not be worth the price difference. Under less than ideal circumstances, it can be the difference between getting stuff home in one piece and not. Zippers on cheaper bags, break, tear, go off track etc. Seams split etc. Water and abrasion resistance are rarely remotely comparable.

It's not $20 but ...

Red Oxx makes a line of "Aviator" bags that are basically bulletproof duffel bags with pretty much no frills at all.
Small Carry-on Legal Duffel - Aviator Kit Bag - Red Oxx Mfg - Red Oxx
Zero internal or external organisation pockets &c ... but if you are looking for something to just stuff all your stuff into ... this one will last and last!

As I have passed my 55th year, the events of the past 9 months and a natural migration from the intersection of quality and value to best available ...

Indeed. But the quality item that will last. Buy one, buy once, and that's it.

(If you have two kids, buy two, so they can each get one when you die. Dunno why Saddleback Leather never thought of this tag line instead of "they'll fight over it after you are gone" but oh well.)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's not $20 but ...

Red Oxx makes a line of "Aviator" bags that are basically bulletproof duffel bags with pretty much no frills at all.
Zero internal or external organisation pockets &c ... but if you are looking for something to just stuff all your stuff into ... this one will last and last!

(If you have two kids, buy two, so they can each get one when you die. Dunno why Saddleback Leather never thought of this tag line instead of "they'll fight over it after you are gone" but oh well.)
I only have one child. I ain't got a lot, but he won't be fighting over my crap, lol!

Sadly though, when you have more than one kid they lots of times have different tastes...likes and dislikes.....

He's not a "gun guy". Not a "coin guy".....not a "razor guy".....He does love photography, which was a hobby of mine, and he's already stolen all that stuff, mostly.

So he will be surprised when he reads my "Last Will and Testament" out of my living trust!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
He's not a "gun guy". Not a "coin guy".....not a "razor guy".....

So he will be surprised when he reads my "Last Will and Testament" ...

There's always the grandkids. (Well, if there are grandkids, that is.)

It's not $20 but ...

the RedOxx aviator duffles are nice. want a big, durable, checked luggage duffel at low cost and likely half the weight? find a serviceable "Kit Bag, Aviator's" (don't have an NSN handy) at an Army surplus store or ebay. they're generally hard to come by in good shape, because paratroopers tend to not give them up.

Assault bags are nice too, but scream "shoot this soldier first, he's your biggest threat". they're also heavier than they need to be for civilian use. that said, I threw one that weighted the better part of 55lbs on a work trip. these days, I try to look like "good gear, but empty pockets hiker trash" vs. former military.

I've done a month out of a 20-25L Mountain Hardware backpack loaded for warm casual. I've got a 16L Sea to Summit ripstop daypack that self-packs smaller than half my fist than hangs off a snaplink on it. my inflatable pillow hangs on the same 'biner. that backpack or my Airboss won't fit in the overhead? I cross load my bag trash I want with me in the cabin into the little one and do a gate check. it's waiting for me there at the gate when I deplane. easy. ramp rats most places don't have time to rifle gate checked baggage. but that's what a couple non-TSA locks are for anyway. they've cleared the screening already.

I'm looking at a 40L civilian Mystery Ranch for a heavier carry bag because I can get it pretty cheap. I've also flown and worked out of my Gregory Baltoro 70L, because I wasn't flying commercial.

big checked bags? I've got some discount named hardsided rollers I haven't used in better than 15 yrs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom