What's new

Burt's Bees Shaving soap

Well, it looks like the folks at Burt's Bees are giving their bay rum shave soap another try......probably because our reviewers pretty much panned it :wink: .

I may run down to Whole Foods and see if they've got it in stock. Might try the colognes and ASB too.

I talked to them when this was rereleased. I'd hoped they'd reformulated it, but alas, no. It's the same as it ever was.

I like the scent but it's not the best soap out there (as you indicated). It doesn't slip well and the lather goes dry very quickly.... Lots of better alternatives out there...

I have a couple pucks kicking around here somewhere that will likely never be used:rolleyes: acquired before I found all the great soaps recommended by folks here and over on SRP....

Ken

If you run to Whole Foods, buy some good things to eat--get some fun, unusual things...

...you'll want to make the trip worth your while, because IMHO, the soap isn't worth walking across the street for, nor was it worth the price of "free" when I tried some off and on over the years.

Don't misread me...I LOVE the Burt's Bee's line, as I loved their long-gone "furry friends" pet product line. I am smelling a bit of Burt's nice Bay Rum aftershave balm that I pulled out today after my AM shave. I used to enjoy "Wise Woman Comfrey Salve" which now has a different name, and enjoyed the smell of his classic "Apricot Baby Oil"...

Burt is an interesting character, who makes good products that you can find anywhere.

EXCEPT his shaving soap. It just doesn't make lather, no matter what you use on it...from the finest Badger brush to his rather lousy, shedding boar brush that leaves a trail of spent bristles in your own bristles...

It isn't even a good bath soap. I see he has added glycerin to it, which may be an improvement, but it dries quickly, (what lather there is to it) and leaves your face feeling like latex for the rest of the day.

IMHO you'd better stop on your way to Whole Foods and drop 99 cents on a little box of Williams....

This was BY FAR the worst soap I've ever used, and (as a one-time dealer in his products) wrote to the company explaining my views.

LOVE BURT. LOVE BURT'S BEES. HATE the soap...(AND the brush, for that matter.)

I shall avoid the soap like the plague, then....
What about the cream? Is it new? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I'm also curious about both of Burt's colognes.

I'm not sure what the current "cream" is...Burt's had a cream in a tube, that I thought was sort of a pre-shave thing, maybe 5-6 years ago. If used sparingly, it felt rather good...I would apply a small amount, and then lather up.

POINT OF INTEREST RE BURTS BEES...MANY of these fine products are fairly concentrated, as compared to other products in similar packages, and it's very easy to use too much. The hand salve is a good case, you find that an appropriate amount to dip from the container is probably less than a 1/4 of what your instincts are-- so if you smear a big old quarter-sized dollop on your dry palm, you'll be spending the next hour rubbing it in/off/whatever.

My experience with the cream/conditioner type product was the same...only use a miniscule amount, pr your face will feel like a lard bucket until next week.

FINALLY...look at a picture of Burt...the big beard. His face hasn't seen a razor in years...probably decades. He is not the poster boy for shaving products!!!

I haven't tried the new cream. I did pick up the new aftershave balm. It smells a bit like speick, a bit like lemon, too (sometimes a bit too lemony). My problem with it is it doesn't soak in very quickly...leaves my face feeling sticky for a while (kind of like the feeling you get right after putting on trumper's skin food).

The cologne doesn't smell too great...I would go with speick instead (half the price and a better version of the scent).

Just my .02

Thanks for the tip Michael.
I may try the cream if I run across it, since it does look new, but the cologne I'll probably pass on.

Thanks for the tip Michael.
I may try the cream if I run across it, since it does look new, but the cologne I'll probably pass on.

I saw it at the Briarcliff and Lavista whole foods...it's with the shaving stuff (not the burt's bees)...also not with the KMF stuff. it's where they ahve the herban cowboy and other "men's needs"

I shall avoid the soap like the plague, then....
What about the cream? Is it new? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I'm also curious about both of Burt's colognes.

I saw this one today, but didn't pull the trigger. I couldn't remember whether it was their soap, their (old) cream, or both that had been so universally panned here. I'll be interested in the review from someone who does try it.

I dunno what ya'll are screaming about, I got a great shave with the Burt's Bees soap this morning. I will have to make some adjustments as far as the consistency of the lather, but I didn't notice it drying out at all. I used my trusty Burma Boar brush, soaked the puck in hot water for a few minutes, then lathered away on that thing. I guess my mileage is varying..

Ya'll had me worried but now that I've tried it, I like it just fine.

-Mason

OK, so I bought the cream because I like Burt's other products, and I tried it this morning for the first time. My first mistake was using my brush despite the directions on the tube saying to apply it directly to the face. This is absolutely NOT a lathering cream. You can whip it till the cows come home, and it will still remain creamy. The most potent sense on the face is that it is oily, not at all soapy. That said, I got a surprisingly nice shave from it, and my face still feels pretty good. I did not particularly enjoy shaving, but the result wasn't bad. I had to soak my brush and mug in a borax solution afterwards, and the brush still feels oily. I will try it once more without a brush. The problem for me is that, although this product performed pretty well, I need my routine with brush and mug. Don't ever use a brush with this cream.

Michael

I bought the soap out of curiosity when I passed it on a shelf locally. I was thinking "it can't be THAT bad". I was wrong. It was awful. I would have been better off shaving with liquid dishsoap.
After half of a pass, I added AoS cream until it was a decent lather. My estimate puts the lather content at about 80% AoS.

Top Bottom